蟻 (Ari) new mini-album "完全変躰" (Kanzen Henkarada) release

10 Likes

So good, they are another level, the biggest potential band among all the other newish bands.

4 Likes

they have awesome riffs and visuals, but the way how all their A-Sides have to change tempo at basically the same time becomes annoying. the time changes are usually very badly pulled out as well.

2 Likes

You mean that change in tempo and rhythm etc.?
They often do this for their choruses and sometimes more.

And I think it’s great. It’s the thing that makes them different from other bands because they don’t this rarely but very often. So it’s more of a distinctive feature of theirs to me and something to expect from their songs.
I guess it’s something to either like or not listen to them. I at least hope they won’t stop doing this because it’s outstanding in comparison to other bands.

3 Likes

I am a fan of speed changes usually, and other than such speed changes segments from other bands, Ari always make sure that something is happening in that part and that is not just there for having a speed change.
But the main problem I have with the ones from Ari is, that you seldom have a feeling of connection between the different parts. for this new A side, the two different parts of the verse feel related, but the Refrain could be as well from a complete other track.

2 Likes

I think I know what you mean, I just have a different feelings about it. To me it‘s what makes them somehow unpredictable. In the beginning you never know how the song will change with the next part of it. By now it‘s pretty much to be expected it will happen. Not sure whether more of a connection would give away too much of that (or they think it could). And maybe this just goes down to personal taste and they like doing this. Who knows what‘s on their mind when making the songs like they do, what they are aiming for by this.

2 Likes

In their defence no one in vk really does tempo shifts well (even DEG have wtf transitions and they’re the most competent composers in hard kei). Happy to see music that is more ambitious than the rest of whats coming out nowadays but agree there are a lot of ideas to pack into a short time frame. Whoever is composing for these guys is definitely a decent musician (I highly doubt it is the band, definitely some ex-vk guy working for free will).

1 Like