closetchild to discontinue sale of visual CDs in physical stores

…Wait, wut???

That’s a shame about Closet Child’s new policy. I mean, I get it. Sitting on a ton of grandfather vkei merchandise isn’t going to pay the bills. Even if I’m not really into the scene anymore, I’m a strong advocate for preserving history through physical media. This will certainly make it more challenging for overseas fans looking for some older CDs.

Happy for the pr0n fans, I guess.

4 Likes

right? the first time I walked into seeing creepy old guys and cheap dvds it was a shocker.

If they were smart theyd just put some of that stuff as online only like they do with some of the clothing,
but aging vk companies and innovation do not really go hand in hand @_@; ;
they never ever even got around to listing band goods on the cd site all the years they had it in stores.

1 Like

The men’s section and visual kei CD/goods floor of closetchild in Shinjuku will close on 7/31. The online store will still be open.

The end of an era D:

Just noticed their webshop says temporarily closed due to a move. I’d noticed that their selection had dwindled over the last maybe year or two. Popular bands like D or dir en grey etc. etc. that used to have pages and pages of product suddenly had 1 page of product, or even less…just a few items. I had also noticed that the days of being able to buy a CD used on their site shortly after it’s release for cheap seems to be gone. Wonder if the webshop will come back and if so what it will be like. Like someone else here said, it would be great if they took all that hard to move product that’s been removed from the shops and throw it all up online

1 Like

A fair amount of that stock may be gone now since they did a 50% off sale in the last week of opening (I went there and picked up a bunch of stuff absurdly cheap).
In terms of buying things soon after release, that’s all gone to Mercari - there’s no money in selling to second-hand stores. As an example, I bought RAZOR’s new single this week the day after release for 650 yen on Mercari when it would have cost 2000 new. That’s new and unopened, by the way.

3 Likes

Closet Child was paying like 10-100 yen for a brand new sealed single post release so no wonder the fans took their sales to Mercari.

2 Likes

closetchild has discontinued physical sale of CDs altogether as of December 2022, although their online shop is still open

It’s prob for used CDs and stuff. I guess it’s better then nothing at least they are still around :confused: