DIR EN GREY New Album "PHALARIS" Release

~it’s out~

5 Likes

Bert.

1 Like

Kyo explained the title of the album:
The title ‘Phalaris’ is inspired by an ancient Greek instrument. The name comes from the fact that the ‘bull of Phalaris’, a hollow bull cast in brass, glowed golden on the outside when heated.

Vocalist Kyo says, "I suggested it because I thought the gap between the outside and the inside would fit the image of this album.

I suggested that although the outside of the Phalaris bull is beautifully decorated with gold and various other ornaments, the gap between the outside and the inside of the torture bull and the feeling of not knowing what it looks like inside would fit the image of this album.

1 Like

I totally see his logic. Haha.

Changed to Kamui

2 Likes

They must’ve enjoyed my image.

Are you guys convinced by Kyo’s explanation of the concept of the album?

No not at all but I’m horrible at symbolism so maybe others can understand.

The bull is golden, shiny and decorated nicely on the outside, but inside it’s completely hollow. Most people probably expect golden and shiny things to be solid and fully made out of gold.

Either: Outside - shiny, inside - hollow and dark is like the title is “shiny” and the “inside” (the music) is hollow and dark.
Or: People expect the inside to be golden too, but are deceived by the outside (title of the album), so you don’t know what expects you on the inside (their music is so diverse and unpredictable!)

Kyo’s description reminds me of what Deftones were saying about Around The Fur.

“Our music,” Moreno explained, “I picture it as being, you know, very ugly, [with] heavy chords. Everything’s really abrasive. And at the same time it’s really soothing. And I think I picture fur as being very glamorous and very beautiful. But around the inside it’s skin. And it’s ugly. So it’s somewhat of a metaphor for the music and the way I feel sometimes about people being really pretty on the outside and ugly on the inside.”

3 Likes

No, but I never am. In any case it’s more interesting than “world is pain and hurt”

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: DIR EN GREY

7 Likes

Regular Version:
phalaris_regular_c3xMQ8

First Press Limited Version:
phalaris_limited_c3xMQ8

Deluxe Limited Version:

Member photo:

5 Likes
6 Likes

12 Likes

I really believed shinya couldnt get any more plain