DIR EN GREY - PHALARIS

No, we don’t.

Gotta wait a few years for them to release Average Shenanigans.

3 Likes

Has anyone translated the Track-By-Track band commentary found in the blu-ray limited edition?

2 Likes

Asking the real questions!

Kyo’s comments, pretty informative

13 Likes

Oops last reply crapped out on me for some reason. Apologies, feel free to delete the empty reply
I’ve given it a few run-throughs. Still fond of Uboro. 13, Otogi and kamuy stood out for me. I wasn’t a fan of the last three albums post Uroboros to be honest, so this was a pleasant surprise. Uboro is a typical current Diru ballad. The melody for 13 is almost, delicate? Rather thoughtfully put together. I was in a weird headspace when I listened to Kamuy, and now for me it’s got a murder mystery vibe to it, the way it builds, the quiet acoustic guitar sound lurking, contemplating, and the string band sound pushing it to the conclusion. If I have to pick a fav, kamuy is the one.

do you know if a western release is planned (for example, with Okami Records?)

It’s not.

Does anyone else hate the new version of AATD? I love the original even though kyo’s vocals annoy me on it but I literally can’t even bear to listen to the new one :hear_no_evil:

Disc 3 is 10/10 incredible, and it sounds like Shinya/Seraph did their new concert opening SE?

1 Like

I still think Arche’s ballads are better. I personally find songs like Behind a Vacant Image, Kukoku no kyouon, kaishun, rinkaku (if that is counted as a ballad) much more powerful than the ones on Phalaris. What are your opinions?

3 Likes

Yea, it feels like they took scrapped demos from the past 10 years and used them.
Being a fan for 17 years now, this is definitely among their worst 3 albums together with TIW.

The album feels like we’ve all heard it before - the riffs, the vocals, the drums. It’s all so expected and there were probably just 3-4 parts that were creative and unexpected. Besides that, it feels recycled and forgettable.

1 Like

ain’t afraid to die should’ve been afraid. the removal of the children choir leaves the song feeling empty for me and although the updated piano track works well, the guitar solo was butchered and it sounds horrible in this version.

Not to mention the children’s choirs they omitted, but am I the only one to be bothered by that weird note transition on the “kieru” (yagate kieru darou) in the ain’t afraid to die retake? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I agree that it feels recycled but the song writing’s good (imo) so I’m happy. Great album

Agree - the ballads are better on Arche in my opinion too. I adore kukoku no kyouon, literally never not in the mood to listen to that song. But even tousei, kaishun etc. are just gorgeous. I do really enjoy phalaris though but none of the songs hit me in the same way.

It’s definitely not bad/unlistenable, just like TIW. If you made a playlist with Arche, TIW and Phalaris and played it in shuffle, I still wouldn’t know which album 90% of the titles are from.
Comparing the time span (2011-2022) to the ones before (1997-2008, i.e. the evolution from Gauze and Uroboros), it feels like they’re not moving anywhere anymore.
They have the same issue like lynch., the albums are okay and listenable, but they just do the same thing all over again. It feels like they’ll play these songs for the album tour and maybe 1-2 (probably the singles) will be the only songs they will play after that again.

2 Likes

With that said (kind of agree with you!), which would you say are the stand out tracks on the album?

I agree that they are not as innovative as before, than sometracks sound like Arche (which is their best album IMO) but it is to be expected. How many bands are actually reinventing themself every times for 11 albums and after 25 years? When they tried something very different in TIW, they got mostly bashed for it. Now when they try to implement black metal feel like in Perfume, I found that pretty new though :slight_smile: Sure they didn’t reinvent the wheel, but they tried new influences

6 Likes

Minor fix:
響 – 薫 → Die

1 Like

When I see interviews of them talking about new albums created these days there’s consistently talk of “we made an album that definitely feels like DIR EN GREY” etc. In the past the albums felt very experimental but nowadays it seems they stick to some kind of formula that sets DEG apart from the other bands they perform in. They know this works for them so maybe they’re afraid to fuck that up? Maybe they don’t care and are just trying to retain their legacy? idk.

4 Likes