Do you guys think vkei will ever become mainstream?

My comments in this thread in general is largely what I think of both vk’s “longevity” and, in a way, its potential for mainstreaming.

As @zeus puts it here:

“Visual Kei” has already transformed itself several times since its inception and has survived regardless. Unlike constituent parts/traditions aging out, I don’t think the concept as whole will die but keep evolving.

My thoughts have also started to change on this topic thanks to the increasing “Sheeranification” of Japanese mainstream pop hits… Ok, probably not all music is going the way of Ed Sheeran (the term sounded fun in my head), but my ears are picking up more Western pop influence. Is it the newfound itch to compete with their Korean neighbors and shift from purely domestic (or perhaps appeasing the domestic market who is increasingly looking outside)? Is it the cultural exchange of musical ideas and exoticism around Western melodies? Is it the result of social media as a cross-cultural mixing pot? Is it all of the above?

This to me guarantees something, at least with Visual Kei’s musical DNA, will bubble back up in response as the fresh new “thing”, thus becoming mainstream. It might look different, but counterculture and nostalgia-bait are time immemorial. I should also mention that many talented former vk bandmen are lurking in the shadows as producers, composers, arrangers, and lyricists for anison, vtuber, and idol groups. A return to form could be welcome in the future.

4 Likes