Finding motivation to practice instruments

I believe it is, I’ll check when I get home, the strings don’t feel…usual so I’m guessing it’s a special edition my mom kept for a reason

oh no one mentioned this yet, so i get to say it - don’t forget to practice specifically improvising! someone online once said the best practice is some parts warmup, some parts songs/patterns you know and are confident in, some parts you can’t play like you want but you’re working up to, and then a good amount of improv at the end~

in jazz they always say you learn to develop your own style from first imitating the greats who’ve come before you - i’m sure it’s the same for vkei or any genre~ i try copying my favourite guitarists & getting as close to their sound, style, & “accent” as i can - and then when i write new stuff i have a better idea what i like and don’t really like to do

good luck and stick with it; no one makes a band instantly better than a bassist who knows their instrument & how to get around it!

3 Likes

Thats shitty your parents wont let ypu have a teacher… Thought theyd be happy to support your interests but there ya go… Anyway, when i was first learning I would just hear songs i really liked and would try to find tabs or learn by ear of the tabs were crap or nonexistent. Always kinda figured if i struggled with a song and eventually could play it fairly easily then i had improved somewhat. Guess just try playing the songs you like most or you think have interesting basslines, as if you really love the song you wont mind hearing it a million times while learning it. Haha. Or even just jam on your own for fun, try coming up with your own good stuff and as long as you keep hitting those strings you should get better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

im (trying to) practice piano(keyboard) but im learning one scale at time and barely anything else, it will take me forever like this but im not sure how to learn my fav vk songs on piano.

only now im thinking about how that can actually help me to learn

1 Like

I woke up this morning and figured out Jigyaku Paranoid by NEGA. It will happen!

2 Likes

My experience with learning an instrument-

1. Scales and Music Theory are great and can be fun to figure out and learn.

2. Practicing your instrument is fun, but there’s no harm in diving headfirst into trying out some of your favorite songs! I’d argue that playing music/learning by ear is just as, if not more important than practicing scales/runs.

I’d recommend the 50/50 approach. That way, you can take a swing at some of your favorite music as well as slowly figure out how they fit into/make use of the scales and chords you learn

1 Like

I am almost completely self taught and my approach was always; let’s try playing a song i really like and learn it no matter how hard it is and eventually when you can play it after struggling for hours something must have improved right? These days if i struggle with stuff i actually take a logical approach and try different techniques or finger placement than i normal would or play the riff slow and build up speed using a metronome, that kinda thing. If i can do it anyone can. I just say play try to play songs you love as just learning scales is going to get a bit dull.

2 Likes