How Many Languages Does Everyone Here Speak?

My native language is Polish, then began learning German at 6 and English at 12. At the age of 14 I started learning Japanese. It lasts to this day and I’ve already got JLPT at N2 level. Other than that in the recent years I’ve started learning Spanish and had good opportunity to practice it, when I lived with a Spanish flatmate. I’ve even took Korean and Tibetan courses, so yeah, that’s plenty :grin:

6 Likes

My mother language is German, and i do consider myself fluent in English.

I know some words arabic and japanese, but not enough to talk it or understand everything. So basically i shouldnt even mention those languages :laughing:
Actually i came across something now that is supposed to teach you the language like babies basically learn it, so only talk without any writing. Now i might see into that. Especially arabic is awful, you could thing i learned the alphabet with my kids by now but no, i only know three letters. They look all the same for me. (Fun fact, i basically know more kanji by now than arabic, altough i live in an arabic talking country since 7 years :sweat_smile:)

Otherwise i am fluent in Google translate. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

native romanian speaker, i learnt english as a child from video games & subbed anime. i’m still far from being fluent tho as i make a lot of grammar mistakes and my speaking skills are terrible.
i’ve been learning japanese for 4-5 years, mostly from variety shows/interviews/fanfiction(:clown_face:) even though i studied it in hs.
theoretically i’m at n3 level (didn’t get the chance to try for n2 thanks to covid) but, same with english, i’m more like n5 at speaking because i didn’t really get to use it :skull:
even though i’m pretty bad at languages and my laziness won’t let me open a textbook, i’d LOVE to learn thai and chinese in the future
also italian so i could understand my 7yo cousin🤡

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

That actually made me laugh very hard. It’s my case also.

Oh, I thought you would learn arabic with your kids =O

2 Likes

but it’s very easy to recognize a google translated sentence :sweat_smile: cuz I ever did it in Thai in ameba pigg, taking an experiment with local Thai ppl.

2 Likes

I disagree with the variety spoken in Rio being the standard. hahaha

2 Likes

I’m brazilian so my native language is Portuguese. I’m also fluent in english. While at school I studied spanish and a bit of french, but not enough to have a conversation. In total two!

Since I moved to Canada I’ve been focusing on studying french because I want to be fluent at it. After that I plan to learn japanese considering the amount of content that I consume.

5 Likes

Sadly, I’m only fluent in English, which is my native language. I live in the U.S, so multilingualism isn’t implemented into our education system as well as I think it should be. I did take 2 years of Spanish in high school, so I do know bits and pieces of basic Spanish.

I also started learning Japanese a few months ago. I’ve attempted learning Japanese a few times before but haven’t really made a commitment to learning it, but this time around I’ve finally gotten myself into a routine of practicing Japanese almost every day. I can read hiragana and katakana, and I’ve been learning basic kanji for a few weeks.

5 Likes

I honestly feel the same; it’s hard to speak a new language. But what’s more important is once you speak the language very fluently. You’ll understand the deeper meanings if you have an idea to travel to a new country. Awesome job on your hard work! :+1:t2:

1 Like

It is the variety adopted in coursebooks :joy: Or at least it was (I’m not a PLE teacher, and even if I were, I would expose my students to all sorts of varieties).

1 Like

My first language is BR Portuguese but I use English often so I like to think I’m okay at it even if I write like a 6 year old most of the time. Also I took 4 yrs of mandatory Spanish classes in school, remember some but don’t get to pratice nor am I interested (even tho like 80% of my ancestors were Spanish lol). I also studied enough of local sign language to pass the grade course in uni (but don’t remember much of it either) and my self-taught Japanese is N4/N3 equivalent. I’m self-taught in very basic French too but yeahh HAHAa… and I have a vocabulary of, like, 20 words in Korean - 10 of which are Japanese loan words, thx kpop! I wanted to learn Mandarin but maybe I’m tone deaf bc sounds impossible to me.

6 Likes

I’m from Mexico so my mother tounge is Spanish but English has been in my life since I was little and I think I’m fluent at it (even tho I still don’t know when to use in, on or at lol). Right now I’m learning German because of my University carrer and Japanese bc weeb

6 Likes

That comment also made me roll my eyes lol

I live in Sweden. My two first languages are Swedish and English. I’ve studied French in school and I’m not great at it but I can read children’s books in it… :). I understand a fair bit of Norwegian and Danish (90% written, perhaps 75% spoken) because they are very similar to Swedish, and can likely make myself understood in Danish at least. I’ve studied Japanese for a few years and would like to think that I’m not completely out there in it, but it’s very easy for me to say and considerably harder for me to prove. I can speak Russian, Chinese (putonghua), and German like a toddler.

6 Likes

oh wow! jeg lærer norsk og andre skandinaviske språk for tiden faktisk, veldig hyggelig å kjenne en skandinav fyr! :smile: svensken min er ikke så bra, så, har du noen forslag til å lære mer evanskelig grammatikk eller noe som det? tusen takk. :smiley:
og jo, dansk er rart med uttalen :sweat_smile:

btw, feel free to ask anything about mandarin Chinese, my current preparation for the incoming test is about my native language, digging deeper though :roll_eyes: I don’t even know why lol

Hej på dig! Det beror nog faktiskt på hur bra du känner att du är på norska. Du kan ju antingen bestämma dig för att lära dig svenska genom engelskan eller så är det bara att köra på genom norskan (det vill säga, göra samma sak som jeg når jeg godt vill lære mig skrive på dansk). I det förstnämnda fallet rekommenderar jag att du sätter dig med en online (eller offline-)kurs som https://learningswedish.se/ och kör på till du känner att det tar stopp. Annars kan du försöka hitta en svenskkurs som riktar sig mot norrmän och köra på den istället. I båda fallen rekommenderar jag ändå att du tar och letar fram lite böcker att läsa.

And thank you for the offer! I think, however, that I’m at far too low a stage to even ask questions about it lol

1 Like

tack så mycket för informationen :sweden: jag tror, jag märker likheterna mellan dessa språk, så försökte lära dem samtidigt att förstå dem bättre.
(…sigh I actually looked up the word “likhet” lol I’m still better with norsk bokmål. and I only understand about 80% of your sentences, maybe I should increase my vocabulary first I guess?)
and about the comment about asking anything about mandarin Chinese, that actually was said to everyone. :love_you_gesture:

Jag tänker fortsätta med att skriva på svenska så ser vi vad som händer. Ja - jag skulle nog i så fall börja läsa lite böcker på svenska, om du nu förstår 80% av vad jag skriver (vilket är mycket! det ska du vara stolt över). Det finns en mängd svensk litteratur; vill du ha rekommendationer så skicka mig ett PM bara!

1 Like

tack igjen! jag gör det när jag avslutar mitt inkommande test, det definiera mitt framtida jobb faktiskt. (och jag tycker inte om det jobbet för att vara ärlig :upside_down_face: men har inget val…)

and I’m definitely a fan of Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish and Estonian literature since I’ve collected a lot Norwegian ones in pdf already from some of the free classics project site.
I think I just have a good feeling about germanic languages in general, perhaps that’s why sometimes I can’t translate but I understand for the languages I’ve been learning so far :thinking:
also, had a great time communicating with you my dear friend! learnt a lot of new words in detail and got much good info, very useful!