Random thoughts thread

Decided to cut my hair and it ended up a little too short and uneven… Oops.

2 Likes

I’ve found a new appreciation for the nature of this country.

The cow wasn’t an expected part of the landscape.

15 Likes

Thank you for bleesing our eye.

1 Like

So it turns out that you can’t fix a botched haircut by getting drunk and slapping on some bleach… But I think it’s gonna look ok in a couple of weeks.
I have a (very slight) hangover and wanted to order takeout but the restaurant isn’t open yet :tired_face:

2 Likes

Oh for fuckkkk sakes I should’ve never went for a nap
Can’t wait to cut hair at college in 4 hours…half asleep <333 xoxo

i want to show plastic tree all my other favorite music and tell them to make music like that

1 Like

social media is exhausting. you can’t just be around to appease anyone, it’s best to go your own way and make your own choices in your own life. i’m going to devote myself to vk research and making myself a better person, and nothing else.

yes i see the irony

8 Likes

just want someone to kiss while watching canzel last live

4 Likes

It’s not quite a year but close enough. I’m not gonna have time to write this soon enough. I deactivated my account around the time I am replying to - although my account still shows as active according to some people still on the network - and I logged out and haven’t logged back in for any reason at all. (I also suspect others have deactivated their accounts but Facebook still shows them as contactable. Perhaps because Messenger is a separate service? Or perhaps to foster the illusion of more activity than there is…) I feel a lot better, but a lot of that also lies in finding other things to do. Some of that might be medication. Even if that’s VK research, go do it. Life is too short and full of contracted labor to not do the things you love. vk.gy is lit you will always hear me say this.

There’s an aspect of society that seems to be “always online” and I’m convinced it’s not 100% a good thing. The irony in this is that I would be considered pretty facile in computers and internet things, able to do things most people cannot, and I want no parts of social media anymore. For example, I’m about to father a child and don’t have strong support structures around me, so my wife’s sister spent some time with us to help us out. Most of the time they spent on their phones talking to other people. There were days of silence punctuated by me playing games, guitar, or going out to smoke. Most of the time they spent doomscrolling, and I felt like I was interrupting them, as if they were having a conversation with others. It’s a weird dynamic I never stopped to notice before, but now that I notice I can’t unsee. I don’t feel any more or less alone, just a different flavor.

As far as my doomscrolling habits go, I think I’ve improved. I pretty much only use Reddit and that exclusively for memes. I’ve curated my feed to not only include things I like, but to mute several subreddits with headlines that make my eyes roll so hard I could charge a Tesla in minutes. I try to limit my time if I don’t see anything new and I avoid all subreddits that subsist on manufactured outrage. It’s not perfect, but it works, and I find myself with a lot of time that I’ve spent the last few days…staring into space. Kinda hard to chat about anything when everyone else is physically present but mentally absent.

Unfortunately stepping back from social media means stepping back from some friend circles as this challenged who I thought I had strong ties to. Some ties became stronger, some stayed the same, a lot got weaker. I gave up some things I wasn’t expecting in the process, and after a lot of deliberation I also don’t think it’s a bad thing. One of the things I learned after resigning as MH admin in a spiral of depression is that you can’t build a community that doesn’t want to be around. The same applies to friendships and social circles too, and I had to learn that the hard way. I had a lot of Facebook friends but few people who put in the effort to talk to me. I had a lot of convenience friends that were good for exactly one thing but whom otherwise didn’t put in the effort to establish other things to bond over - and in fact go out of their way to not try new things. They don’t even know the gender of my child.

To be honest, my phone contacts are a more realistic assessment of who I talk to and who cares about me. At first it sounds sad when I say that my weed dealers care more about me than most. But they have a vested interest in my money, so I’ll let that lie. The people that come after that are a lot of people I met in my time in visual kei. Some of you guys care more about me than my family does, or proximity friends who claim they care more than they do, and you know who you are, and you probably know that already.

A lot has happened since I left social media. No one expected Twitter to wound itself like this, people use a variety of services to communicate, governments are starting to ask about where data is going and who has access to what at approximately a third grade level - up from kindergarten! - and I’ve been diagnosed with a cluster of things that make my behaviors…more contextualized. I’m nowhere near the end of this journey because I can’t predict the future and I’m not even sure where we are, much less where we’re going.

Feelings in a pic:

1 Like

That one girl when she turned around in the Qeddeshet pv and the vocalist just went UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

3 Likes

does anyone of you also have this feeling of unease when you want to give your tweet on twitter tags?

1 Like

Twitter in general gives me unease. It thankfully hasn’t happen to me, but some of the people I follow (mainly artists) got their arses destroyed by a twitter mob for no reason (but that they prob didn’t like certain artworks getting “too many” likes and retweets). Having a popular tweet (or “engagement”) on twitter can be a two edged sword… plus all the spammers and bots are tedious to deal with.

Is it bad that I actually want Elon Musk to ruin it? Not saying that he is a decent guy (he isn’t), but twitter was a mistake and hurt online discourse more than any other site (well, followed by Tik Tok)

3 Likes

Even though I’m not personally invested in Twitter, I’m pretty excited that there’s someone willing to experiment with it, throw ideas around and see what sticks.

I wouldn’t call Twitter a mistake. The idea/concept is great, its emergence inevitable but just like any other (potentially) big step in societal development, it requires a lot of reordering, rethinking and adapting to a new scale of interaction. It’s just that now we’re not only fighting each other but a machine whose programming is diametrically opposed to most people’s intentions, wants and needs.

1 Like

We had this guy from a bougie salon in college the other day and at the end I asked if he needed anyone to help out in the salon and he said to message him if I was interested and I’m like debating if I should
Because his style isn’t like the generic beachy wave stuff it’s like ~experimental~ n that’s like right up my street…

I probably should but idk I feel like I’m not good enough to be there.

2 Likes

Go for it! That’s the only way to get experience and get good! You already met him in person, you showed interest and left a good enough impression for him to tell you to message him so you have nothing to lose!

1 Like

I am always scared that i end up using the wrong tags with the wrong bands when i link of the news threads from here to JROCKONEs twitter. :joy:

By the way huge thanks for all those who open up any threads, if it’s is merely talk or if it’s band news. Thanks guys.

For my own twitter, i never used tags. I had no use for it tbh. And nowadays i don’t write a lot anymore on Twitter.

2 Likes

Thanksss!!! I’m definitely doing it and this college course ain’t cutting it anymore so I need better experience

1 Like

I don’t know how to support my sister. She had a rough 2022 and she met this guy who she thought as a bright spot into her life. Anyway, turns out he was a pathological liar and they broke up in a messy way.
I don’t know how to distract her from this. She is not into talking much. And I don’t know if endless walks around the city or going out for food helps at all. I wish I could do more.

2 Likes

It’s good enough that you’re at least there for her and a presence in her life, I hope she knows she can count on you too. best of luck to you and her and just keep sticking around her! don’t let her go through it alone

1 Like

I literally take vitamins only for the placebo effect that I get immediately after taking them. The power of the mind :sunglasses:

2 Likes