Saying hello ^^

How to get started?
I’m not really good at introductions but I thought it’s polite starting with this.

I’m Kuro, a non-binary person from Germany, going by they/them in English (I doubt my German pronouns matter much here but feel free to ask, if you know German and we ever might happen to use that language).
Someone just being into VK not general J-rock bands. There’s something that’s different about the music by VK bands even though I can’t put my finger on what exactly that is.
Since I got into VK in 2006 I barely listen to anything else just some of the bands from before which’s mostly for nostalgic reasons.

My favorite bands are Gazette, DaizyStripper, FeaDior, Jewel, DIMLIM (I even like Misc. but I really love the stuff from Chedoara). There are more bands but these are the first ones coming to mind.
Speaking of bands aside from Japanese music my most favorite one is Silverchair. Listened to Bush, Marilyn Manson, No Doubt, Alanis Morissette before 2000 a lot, got into bands like The Rasmus, Linkin Park, System Of A Down, Mando Diao, Evanescence sometime after 2000 and mainly sticked with these until 2006.

I’ve been at Monochrome Heaven for years even though not pretty active at all, I’m around daily for like 1.5 years though. I often just lack words or time or whatever so I only like posts or read only. Maybe I can change that habit here.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community, @Kaishiki! Looks like we’ve got a VK veteran here.
I’m sure more Germans will be joining this community soon. So you will have German-speaking friends to talk to on here. :de:

2006 was the golden era of VK indeed. I sometimes listen to VK bands from the 2000’s because I miss the old days too. Unfortunately, so few VK bands from that time are still active today as most VK bands seem to be short-lived like 3-4 years average.

Thanks for joining J-ROCK ONE. This community is still in its early stage. Therefore, I greatly appreciate your contribution to start a discussion here.

2 Likes

Hello and thank you. ^^

I’ve seen what got posted by you at Monochrome Heaven and since it’s the only place for that stuff (I know there are groups at FB but really, you can’t find anything there after a while, there’s no structure and it’s really annoying as is FB in general). I miss those days at LiveJournal actually. But well, that’s how it is things change.

So I got here just in case MH has to be taken down. I love the music too much and I’d like to keep a place where people can meet so I try to contribute a bit to get things working here, just in case.

The 2000’s were so full of bands. There are still new starting and others going nowadays I just changed about how to deal with this. I’ve been trying out every new band back then I think (at least it feels like this) so it’s been like a new band each day. xDD Basically it’s okay it’s not that much. It were just great, if the good ones stayed or didn’t change. While I also do think, if they want to change they shall because they shall love what they do not just please others.

1 Like

Yeah, social media like Facebook is so popular nowadays that it has taken many people from traditional forums away. You’re right that Facebook groups aren’t well-organized unlike forums. They’re difficult to search for older posts just to get a simple info. LiveJournal was sure a thing for VK fans back in the day. I still remember that there were a bunch of LJ accounts sharing random VK uploads weekly which was a good introduction to get someone into VK.

I can’t say if MH is gonna be taken down due to the lack of SysOps. Even if it is, someone else would start a new forum to fill the niche anyway. Therefore, it’d be better if we, regular MH users, are the people who run the new community ourselves instead of letting other people do it. Either way, you’re guaranteed to have a place to discuss about VK regardless of whatever happens.

The 2000’s were definitely the golden era of VK. We’re probably the luckiest people who grew up with a lot of good VK bands and witnessed its peak. I wish big names like Kagrra, RENTRER EN SOI, D’espairsRay, and a few more had existed today though.

1 Like

I don’t even mind those social media they do serve for certain purposes pretty well. I just also love forums for other reasons.
LJ had so many options that were so great but I accepted people moved on a long time ago (I’m still there using my own LJ as a diary for years).

Yeah, maybe someone else would start a new forum but by this way I already know about it, I know at least some people from just reading what they said already over at MH and there’s never really a pause because this one already exists no matter what is going to happen to MH.

I sometimes wonder, if those bands really started again what that would turn out as. Would it still be the same or would they have changed a lot by all the time that has passed.

1 Like

Social media is so useful that it keeps people in touch easily in this era. I prefer forums too when it comes to serious discussions. You can track everything more easily. I’m a bit surprised that people are still using LJ these days. It must have changed a lot over the years though.

It’d be ideal if MH users could migrate to this community. I think it’s time to move to a more modern platform like this because we’ve been using a traditional forum like MH for over a decade. It’s no longer a good choice for a community when we have several better options to host it these days. It’d be more fun to have a lot of people active on here though. :grinning:

1 Like

It’s exactly the same for me when it comes to what to use forums for.
And for LJ, it’s just my own one as a diary. I started there and didn’t wand to split things and leave to another platform that might be abandoned after five years again. And since its main purpose now is a diary it doesn’t matter know one else seems to be around anymore.

I don’t see too much of a difference since I don’t know anything about the technical site. Yeah, it’s not exactly the same over here but basically that’s still pretty close to a forum by that list of categories. For the rest, maybe I find more differences when there’s more activity over here.

1 Like

I see. So LJ is the platform you have settled with. It must be tiring to keep moving to another platform from time to time though.

Yeah, Discourse is forum software. It’s basically a forum that’s built for the modern days. I’m still learning it too. :grin:

1 Like

For that part, yes. There’s a lot I like about LJ that no other platform ever offered. Even though I don’t need everything anymore. Like those groups you can sort your LJ friends into to decide who can read which post. It’s not just post public, to friends or maybe one more selected group like FB does, but 15 of those groups. Then the point that you can search for posts of a certain date easily by just putting that date into the URL. Or get all post listed for a certain month. I’m pretty keen with figures and therefore this option is very helpful for me when I’m searching for something. Wordpress and all other blog sites I’ve ever tried or seen didn’t have this. These two examples and more always kept me with LJ.

And as soon as we learnt things, developers change them again. That’s how it always is. xDD

1 Like

Hello! I am Furik from Ohio, USA. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @Guyokai nice to meet you (even though I’ve seen you post occasionally at MH). :blush:

2 Likes

Hello, @Guyokai! Thanks for joining the community. :partying_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I used to post a crap-ton back in the day but i’ve slowed down a lot…
Probably due to the forum not being as active as it used to be, sadly.

2 Likes

Which seems to be something happening to forums in general for years.

2 Likes

It’s a shame, really. I much prefer forums over any other form of social media.

2 Likes

For all the news and information I also do.
I also do use other social media but for different purposes.

1 Like

Hello! I am from Canada. I’m also on MH, was never really active, just a reply here and there. Shared a little bit of stuff. I was really into VK from 2006 to 2012, now I’m more into J-rock. As my name state, yes I do love Coldrain haha. Since last year, I’ve really been into it, and into Pay money to my pain. I’m also a huge fan of Alsdead. I still follow the scene, but dunno, I feel lost, too much new bands. Hope we can be friends! Cheers!

2 Likes

That feels so familiar.
I’ve perfectly gotten along in 2008 - 2010 or so but these days when there’s something on the news forum at MH I’m just like “Oh a new band … wait no, that’s just an update in the thread”. I mostly lost track with all the names and bands coming and going.
But I still stick keeping an eye especially on members. Maybe there’s someone getting back to the scene who’s not been (visibly) active for so many years that I like (that mostly goes for FeaDior’s members, I know what the drummer is doing but that’s it).

Really looking forward to people getting here, so great that you replied over here. ^^

2 Likes

Yeah well, you are welcome haha. I want to start from scratch, I got to talk to people on MH but the conversations died so fast. Like, I shared the whole ALSDEAD disco for someone, then he stopped talking to me after he got it, so yeah. I hope this forum will be active and that we can talk about j-rock too! Like you said in your comment on MH, no one talks about j-rock so yeah.

Yes, members in bands change so much, I don’t know who’s in what or doing what haha. And many retires, or projects just disappears in the mist like forbidden days rhapsody (RES’s drummer band). There’s also Mannequin’s singer who retired after that band, I miss him a lot, it was one of my favorite band back in the days. or Unsraw, the singer keep on doing bands but releases nothing. Anyway, could go on for a while, thanks for having me here! :smiley:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @Masato! I’m happy to have you here. :partying_face:

We seem to have similar music tastes in heavy stuff. ALSDEAD/AllS’ disbandment was such a great loss to the scene. I really liked MAKI’s aggressive voice.

I have done both giving and taking, so I know how that feels. It can’t be helped that people just come and go for the stuff they want. Yeah, it seems rude to leave at once, but it’s not a big deal to let it ruin your day.

The general J-Rock scene definitely needs a place online. I hope to see more people join the community and start more discussions as well.

2 Likes