Share your experience and nostalgia of software or OSs

my hard drive broke again and I fixed it again. so why not change my waifu again… ah, I mean, distro :joy:
I know Ubuntu just updated recently, but I also know KDE Neon released a new version. since I’ve been a big fan of KDE softwares even not under the KDE Plasma desktop (previous GNOME, Xfce and OpenBox user…).
holy hell, KDE Neon is gorgeous and very powerful at the same time. so many possibilities of customizations and convenient to use everything I want, except FCITX doesn’t work and my iBus’s Daemon kept broken but works fine if I keep the preference window open, wtf?
and, don’t use their software center, trash it and use Synaptic PM as always. who wants tons of snaps? o_O

this is a real thing actually…

https://archiveos.org/hannah-montana/

your “good” old HML, your “good” old KDE4 desktop is giggling :crazy_face:

3 Likes

:sob:

4 Likes

it reminds me of “Scrapyard Dog” :crazy_face:

I just simply miss the 2012 blogspot fan websites that looked like trash

2 Likes

I grew up poor so my family only had this weird, old thing called webtv (later it was bought by msn and became msn tv). idk if anyone actually knows what it is, but basically u just hooked this box thing up to ur tv and it let u online via dial up. the only problem was, it didn’t have a proper hdd or a way to download anything except images. so from like the age of 12 to 15 (I think?) all I did online was go into chat rooms on that thing and listen to music I had friends burn me on cds–from a stereo, not the webtv. all that thing could do was email, chat rooms, and very bare bones web surfing. all of it was controlled via the arrow keys on the keyboard, which was wireless, there wasn’t even a mouse or a pointer system. you pressed an arrow key in whichever direction, and it highlighted whatever link was in that direction with like a yellow box. then I got a pc for Christmas when I was 15 (again I think so anyway lolol), it was a dell that ran on windows xp. filled that bad boy up with a buuuunch of pvs and music, bc by that time I was already hella into vk :sweat_smile:

anyway tho dude that webtv thing sucked so bad.

2 Likes

I began to download stuffs from blogspot since 2007, ppl still prefer megaupload around then, what a time…

1 Like

that webtv sounds like a kind of copycat of Wii for me, except it’s “pirate-based” lol :rofl:

1 Like

just used KDE Neon for two days and I met a severe error, and again the hard drive… so I just head to Xubuntu now and works perfectly. as I said before, hmm, Xfce rulez! but who knows how long this OS could last… :zipper_mouth_face:

just look at the htop and now you know how Xfce does the job perfectly. only 1.45G usage of mem while Firefox, VLC and Thunar are running, holy damn. a big slap on GNOME’s and KDE Plasma’s faces :smiling_imp:

bye, my dear cute Xfce mouse…

1 Like

just have a little round of BSD flavored xmj, standard 16 mahjong rule with flowers and seasons and apparently I won a lot within only 8 rounds. haven’t played Japanese mahjong since 2016 but I have to have some relaxing moment to cure my headache of heavy work.

now, head back to work and I literally won’t start my PC until April for real this time.

I remember the days when I use to distro hop. Now I use Windows because i’m a filthy PC gamer and Wine just doesn’t cut it for me. You can straight up get banned from multiplayer games for using Proton and I’d rather not the hassle. I guess I could set up new distros in Virtualbox but what’s the point when I’m not really going to use it?

1 Like

sorry for the very late reply since I just finished my exam yesterday.
now I’m a full-time distro hopper and I found playing video games boring now and I still have my dream making my own respin, distro and maybe my own OS in the future. never used a virtual machine before and I think the experience is quite different. (and I have a strong affection on illumos now, I might make an Openindiana based respin first.)
I understand everyone has his own purpose using an OS. it’s just not the case for me to stick to one only if I wanna take the different experience from different distros on aesthetic, package choosing, and so on.
btw, I never trust distrowatch xDDD

the QRTs