The headphones/earphones topic, again!

I own a ton of headphones. Last time I checked:

• Audio Technica M50X
  • Sennheiser HD 600
  • HyperX Cloud Flight II
  • HifiMan HE400
  • Corsair VOID
  • Shure SE215

I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 518s that I gave to a friend because frankly I have too many headphones I don’t already use. I use the M50X for my guitar amp but the right cup is busted so I’ll have to buy a replacement soon. I use the Shure’s for my ipod. I use to use the VOID for my every day gaming needs but the software got glitchy. So I bought the HyperX, which is what I am currently listening to music on. Haven’t touched the HE400 in years, same with the HD 600 (but the latter is more about having to set everything up for the optimal listening experience and I just don’t have room). I also have a pair of bluetooth iLuv headphones but the left ear won’t charge so they’re kinda useless right now.

Honestly, the HyperX is good enough for my listening needs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

GUEST_30cc7644-8ca7-46af-8a06-c8371964ffb9

I’ve been using these for about two years now. Before that, I was using Sennheiser headphones (which I miss but I can’t find the ones I used. They might not make them anymore.)
These ones are decent for music and gaming.
They are wireless (if you plug in the USB dongle which it comes with) or wired it comes with a cord too (I use that mainly).
They are made for gaming so they work fantastically well on both the PS4/PS5 and even the Nintendo Switch (if you plug the USB dongle into the back of the Switch dock).

3 Likes

I used a 40€ Chinese knockoff version of Beyerdynamic DT 770s until recently when I finally retired them. The plastic parts were just getting way too worn down to be maintained. The headband had lost most of its coating, plastic pieces were cracking, there was a screw that would no longer stay in its hole and the wires inside had been completely replaced a number of times. I like to push my gear to its limits.

When I was done, I decided to finally get the real deal DT 770s, the 250 ohm version, and have been pleased with them so far. They’re not perfect. I’d like more bass and for some of the frequency response to be less lumpy in higher frequencies, but for the price they’re probably unmatched. I fully intend to push them all the way as well and then at some point I’d like to get DT 990s as a second pair to have some choice. They’re open backed, meaning the sound should be more around you than in your head, but at the cost of more sound leakage. A lot of people say that they’re very nice when you get used to the treble.

At this point I’m basically all about Beyerdynamic studio headphones. No more plasticky Sennheisers for twice or thrice the price. Sony I might consider one day, but I doubt they have anything that matches the build quality of the Beyerdynamics at that €120 price point.

1 Like

My diary headphone is a SENNHEISER IE 800S, SENNHEISER HD 630VB for the house, and SENNHEISER GAMER ZERO for games … i love this brand!

1 Like

This Christmas I got JBL headphones (LIVE 650BTNC model) to replace my old, cheap af (literally $15) pair and the sound quality difference is genuinely noticeable with well-mastered stuff. Its delivery of sound is nice and balanced, it works well with VK music imo. They advertise their noise-cancelling ability and lemme tell you, they really work. I usually can’t even hear myself talk when I have them on. I also like the ability to use the jack or have them be wireless, that’s great.

I also have Hypergear Low Ryder earbuds for travel and stuff. They’re real cheap, but they get the job done. They’re really made more for hip-hip than VK, or even rock or metal in general. The emphasis is primarily on bass, but only like the kind of hip-hop drum machine bass that destroys white people speakers and not electric bass (guitar).

2 Likes

Update on the iLuv’s: turns out I was charging them backwards this whole time. Now they want to charge when put in the unconventional way. Let this be a lesson to try everything, no matter how silly it might seem.

1 Like

When I use headphones, I use a pair of Sony MDRZX110. I know they’re cheap but I’ve never owned expensive headphones before.

1 Like

@Claudio They ARE good!

@Total_Saikou Ooh. JBL headphones from my limited experience deliver good sound for a good price. The models I tested didn’t have noise cancel though! And LOL, I know what you mean though I don’t know the technical terms either. That’s the kind of bass that annoys me. (I’m white people’s speakers)

@Nagisa Ohh, I had a MDR-XB920 which is similar I believe. I seem to be fond of Sony headphones even the basic/unexpensive ones.

2 Likes

Haha, I could never forget the difference ever since I visited my in-laws and my child cousin would play Sicko Mode over the speakers and every time the bass came in the speaker would distort to the point where it sounds like it’ll break and my uncle-in-law said "Hey, hey! Careful, these are white people speakers :frowning: "

2 Likes

Late dumb review aka results of trying to adapt to other models so I won’t be headphone-less once my Sony MDR W08 set becomes unusable (instead of resorting to earphones actually lol) : I realized I REALLY can’t use most headphones for longer than a couple hours :sob: my head hurts!! they end up weighing a lot either on my ears or head so … ugh.

Loving my (borrowed) Bose OE though, wish they had an OE3 or something. :confused: It’s not perfect in terms of comfort and a bit on the heavy side for its size considering the lack of a noise cancelling feature (which I can’t use anyway because it hurts my ears too hahaa.) and the headband is thin enough so that it presses the middle of the head a bit but still more comfortable than, well, any all-over-ear set lol. Though the sound quality IMO isn’t that much better than AKG k414p which I can still get new for (local currency) 160 while an used OE goes for ~ 400 so idk … I might just get a new AKG k414p and use a headband cover.

I can’t really go around testing newer models considering that a) local economic crisis b) I’m not rich c) we’re in the middle of a fucking pandemic so if anyone could point me to the direction in which I should be looking when it comes to value newer models I’d be thankful!

2 Likes

The pandemic sucks as a headphone enthusiast. I can’t visit my fave headphone shop anymore to try out all the new stuff that has been released in the past year. No headphone meets either as that is considered a social gathering.

1 Like

I used to use oneplus bullets wireless. I can say these are soundcores are much better and show more. My last headphones drowned the songs with bass a lot but not enough to where you cant hear the guitarist but enough to where it lowers the sounds overall volume. It a good if you wanna turn the volume up with out that tremble and abrasiveness jammed in your ear. Overall was a good pair of headphones buttt…

The soundcore headphones are so much better mostly because of the app it comes with allowing you to adjust how much bass or tremble you want. Plus with qualcomm enabled technology it enhances crappy audio all the way no lossless audio and gives it a bit of a extra bonus.

The only downside to this model is the tap settings on the piece is a bit fidgety me. Personally id turn them off but once i figure out how to lol. They can also fall out of your ear after a while. Maybe like after 2-3 hours or so but thats probably because i wear a tight mask. Curious on the latest model they came out with i wanna try those.

https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Bluetooth-Earphones-Personalized-Cancelling/dp/B07SKJNCXM?ref_=ast_sto_dp

As for overear headphones they all sound the same to me i dont know why. So i just chose a stylish kind and called it a day >.>

2 Likes

Soo I’ve been testing head/earphones bc yeah I still need a reliable and cheap pair … and turns out, I found one! At least. I’m still using Bose daily but finally found an earbud type model that’s cheap and actually pretty good !! It’s the one by Kbear and it’s just… a whole other league when it comes to the models I had been using before and on par with a few on/over ear models I tested as well. It’s just < $10 on Aliexpress so I’m getting a pair or two (or ten) :slight_smile: This is my rec for those of you who are looking for cheap + comfy wired earbud style earphones for now. Done hunting for now, thanks for all the help!

@Axius I know what you mean because it also seems to me like (at least) every worthy entry-level over-ear is… quality enough, and then it’s a matter of personal preference, I guess. If you’re listening on a phone or some kind of device where it isn’t so simple to fiddle with the EQ it’s worth getting a pair you personally like IMO (and for me I realized I need a solid bass that won’t hurt my sensitive ears and a comfortable headband …) but if not, idk if the money is worth it. When it comes to earbuds the difference in quality is more… noticeable, I think? Maybe.

Yea i agree on the bass part when it comes to some artist but the then again ima bass whore XD. The reason why all wireless earbuds have such a notable difference in models is because its a newer tech that was introduced. The soundcore’s have a good variety of settings to adjust to your ears liking thats whats is amazing about it.

Does anyone have any experience with Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro’s?

@soinatos - @libertine does with the DT 770 a few replies back.

@Axius - yeah I assume that could be it! I hear some popular on/overear models of nowadays were actually engineered in the 80s or even before, so maybe there wasn’t such a huge tech gap in that sense?

I use shure headphones for recording
For special listening I use handsanitizer wireless headphones, quality over quantity.
Currently using jbl 500bt for testing bass

1 Like

I’m committed to Chi-Fi.
My cans are the schmexy ISK HP2011. As for earphones, I’m using the now-discontinued Kanen ip-808.

1 Like

I’ve never used wireless headphones before but do people here prefer wireless or wired headphones? I’ve heard wired headphones sound better but can you actually hear a difference? I think I would stay with wired headphones if I were to get a new one.

I think it’s noticeable in my experience. I don’t like wireless headphones because they’re bluetooth and require a battery or whatever so. Idk

1 Like