摩天楼オペラ (Matenrou Opera)

I was very late to the party tbh.

I started to get hooked by them around a decade ago when Indies Best Collection was out. it was just a fangirl recommendation, nothing special for me since I was a 70% corekid at that time, but I still enjoyed a lot and put them in the hard drive. until the album Abyss was out, I was blown away by the genre combination, it’s like a masterpiece of symphonic “extreme” metal with some alternative metal elements. I mean, it’s wild to listen, really can’t get enough of all the songs. the ballad “フタリ” is so beautiful which is good enough to make a corekid think about his sad future life (huh?) but my fav track is… oh no, I can’t choose, all of them are awesome. :blush:

I was also a DELUHI fanboy at the time, so Grave Seed related band wow, definitely a plus for me.

anyway, what are your favorites?

6 Likes

I first listened to Matenrou Opera back when Anomie came out. I was blown away by Hiai To Melancholy’s solo. Always loved Sono’s voice. My favorite song is of course, sword! I even bought the live DVD to hear it live haha. Their latest full album with Jay, Human Dignity was amazing, back to roots, and I bought the live DVD for this album as well :smiley:

Actually, my first DVD that I bought ever was Emergence from Cocoon, so this band always have a soft spot for me ^^

Favorite songs :

2 Likes

I remember first discovering them from their Anomie album, and they became a favorite of mine. I enjoy the symphonic rock sound and Sono’s vibrato voice! I also thoroughly loved Abyss. That was an amazing album with the もう一人の花嫁 song.

Helios is also a great song as well ^^

2 Likes

Kaya and Sono did a dual cover of “alkaloid showcase”

5 Likes

I reeeally appreciate their early works. Anomie is a masterpiece and sara is one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard.
When they went major they were kinda losing their originality. Justice and Kassai to Gekijou no Gloria were solid albums but after that it got harder for me to keep apart their songs as they sound all similar to each other for me. With the Pantheon double album I lost my interest in them.

I’ve heard that Human Dignity was well received. Maybe I should give it a chance. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

New song. This shit bangs

2 Likes

I’ve slept so hard on this band. Would really love to listen to them more, thanks for the recs!

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Please give the new album a try Suji (most songs are really good). I would say its one of the best jk/jrock releases in a looong time!
I was in tears during the final track.

They had a video for it!

2 Likes

yeah, I did listen to the album, it’s fantastic! one of the best releases this year!

1 Like

The new album is a BOP

1 Like

YES! Hope they get the recognition they deserve.

1 Like

The first part of their EVIL TOUR 2024 show at Ex Theater Roppongi will be broadcast live on Youtube 2/12 17:00 JST.

Tickets for the full livestream are available on Zaiko.

2 Likes