陰陽座 (Onmyo-za) - 龍凰童子 (Ryuuou Douji)

Depending on how long you’ve known me, you can guess what comes next. If you’re relatively new, this is my thrice a decade attempt to introduce Onmyo-za to the visual-kei nexus.

Except this time I’m not giving you a conventional review. If this is the first time you’re hearing of this band, I absolutely implore you to give them a shot. Please. I’m on my digital knees here. This band is absolutely fantastic visually, musically, conceptually, and I don’t understand why visual kei fans tend to not hear of them right away even though they’ve been around for almost 25 years. I’m into visual kei because there are times where bands blend the aesthetic beauty of imagery with the violence of music to create something really cool, and these guys scratch that itch without being visual kei.

Look at these visuals:

I think that is enough for right now. This shit is fucking fire. I don’t even like looking at visual kei bands and I can look at these guys all day.

Here’s a bonus picture but specifically to showcase how they present themselves live. If I ever made a trip to Japan, I’m going to take the time to schedule it around them. I want to see them live almost more than any other band I can think of, sans maybe Wagakki Band for the experience. And I bring up Wagakki Band because even though they look similar - and I do love Wagakki - they do not sound the same. Onmyou-za is heavy metal through and through. You like Iron Maiden and J-Rock? You like this band. Trust in me. So yeah @Missa I’m making sure you see this.

Time for some music. Every song of theirs on almost every album slaps. You ask me to find their weakest song or draw 25 Uno cards and I’m sitting with the whole deck fammo. You gotta really dig, maybe something off Chimimouryou or Kongokyuubi, but even those albums are a healthy 7.5/10 for me. This album right here, Ryuuou Douji, is some banging ass heavy metal. How the band consistently manages to pump out great music while being themselves is awe-inspiring. This one right here is #5 off this album.

The production quality on that MV is chef’s kiss. The solo is a slapper, the range on the vocals is crazy, they actually incorporated some traditional influences (not common, but they do have a ~mystical atmosphere~), just yes. One of their best singles in years to be honest.

They finally got around to making YouTube playlists of all their albums, so here’s track #1 off their 2018 album Hadou Myouou (覇道明王).

龍凰童子 (Ryuuou Douji) feels like I’m slowly being lifted to Nirvana while being serenaded by Japanese Iron Maiden. There is no other band in the world quite like Onmyo-za. Treat yourself, please. If you tried them before and you didn’t like them, at least try the new PV out because they’ve really evolved and pushed their sound back, and got that fire again. If you ever wondered what visual kei could be with operatic female vocalists, this is your answer.

If you use Spotify I got you, be sure to follow them. They don’t drop music very often, but it’s worth listening to when they do! The last album was 2018, after all! And that one is amazing too, so you may just wanna go backwards if they snag your attention like they did mine.

Recommended Tracks:

• all of them, seriously
  • 滑瓢 is so unconventionally them that I have to shout it out real quick.
12 Likes

You’ve said it in more words than I ever could! I love this band. Had the pleasure of catching them at Yokohama Club Citta back in 2019 because they were one band I always wanted to see live, and they didn’t disappoint. I’m really looking forward to hearing the new album.

1 Like

As a fellow acolyte of the Onmyo cult, I look forward to your thoughts praise.

Not sure if 15 albums in 22 years qualifies as not dropping music often :smiley: Aggree about the rest, great band

1 Like

I meant more like these guys drop one album every 4 years instead of 4 singles in one! But you’re damn right, these guys have been around forever. Tons of music to get into if you’re new to them and you like what you see.

Is there a good fansite/wiki with reliable Romaji for their discograpyh, especially the newest album?

Most of the album and song titles are in romaji in metal-archives website. Just check under additional notes.

For the new album:

Album - Ryuuou Douji

1. Niji
  2. Ryuusou
  3. Houou no hitsugi
  4. Ooinaru kappo
  5. Ibaraki douji
  6. Inosasaou
  7. Nurarihyon
  8. Akashita
  9. Gekka ninpouchou
  10. Shiramine
  11. Karura
  12. Kakugo
  13. Ryoumensukuna
  14. Shizukokoro naku hana no chiruramu
  15. Tokimeki
4 Likes

@pazzi314, it’s me, probably.

There is no official wiki that I know of (in English) because translating the song titles is one endeavor but translating the context behind the words is another entirely. I went down a 14-hour Shinto/Buddhist/Japanese mythology rabbit hole transliterating some titles below. Things started getting real dense around Kalavinka…what a struggle LMAO. Having Romaji so that us gaijin can read the titles is essential, but I feel that for Onmyo-za in particular translating kanji → romaji loses so much context that the result is itself indecipherable. I keep everything in the original language so that I can keep as much context as possible. I provided links everywhere to provide said context.

Use these transliterations/translations below knowing that I am not a native speaker, nor do I speak it as a second language. I am just very meticulous. I did my best here but some of the more complicated ones may be wrong. If it’s not translated, it’s either a name, a demon, or a place. A lot of these kanji are either read unconventionally, or are 表外字 (hyougaiji), which means that they are kanji that fall outside the two major lists of kanji taught in school or the list of kanji allowed for use in personal names. Some more of these are so old they actually stem from Chinese loan words, such as “逢魔刻” (Oumatoku) or “癲狂院狂人廓” (Tenkyouin Kyoujin Kuruwa). A few of these I didn’t dare translate.

Last edited: 4/11/2023

• Refined some translations

Kikoku-Tenshou (鬼哭転生; Wailing Demon Reincarnation)

Note: Oumatoku was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, First Volume.
Oni was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, First Volume, although the name has come to mean ‘demon’ in general.
Fuguruma was a yokai first described and illustrated in Gazu Hyakki Tsurezure Bukuro, First Volume.

1. 降臨 (Kourin; Advent)
  2. 眩暈坂 (Memaizaka; Vertigo Hill)
  3. (Oni)
  4. 逢魔刻 (Oumatoku)
  5. 文車に燃ゆ恋文 (Fuguruma ni Moyukoibumi; Love Letters Burned on Fuguruma)
  6. 氷の楔 (Kouri no Kusabi; Ice Wedge)
  7. 鬼斬忍法帖 (Onikiri Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of Demon Slaying)
  8. 百の鬼が夜を行く(Hyaku no Oni ga Yoru wo Yuku; One hundred demons wander in the night)
  9. 陰陽師 (Onmyoji)
  10. 亥の子唄 (Inokouta; Boar’s Day Song)

Hyakki-Ryouran (百鬼繚乱; One Hundred Demons)

Note: 理 (Ri) can also be read “kotowari”, usually 理り, which is an irregular okurigana usage.

1. 式を駆る者 (Shiki wo Karumono; The One Who Spurs the Shiki)
  2. 桜花ノ理 (Ouka no Kotowari; Logic of Cherry Blossoms)
  3. 塗り壁 (Nurikabe)
  4. 癲狂院 狂人 廓 (Tenkyouin Kyoujin Kuruwa; Madman’s Quarters)
  5. 八咫烏 (Yatagarasu)
  6. 歪む月 (Yugamu Tsuki; Warped Moon)
  7. 帝図魔魁譚 (Tei Zu Ma Kai Tan; Story of the Emperor’s Plan and the Leader of Demons)
  8. 化外忍法帖 (Kagai Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of Wilderness)
  9. 奇子 (Ayako)
  10. がいながてや (Gainagateya; How about that!)

Kojin-Rasetsu (煌神羅刹; Shimmering Rakshasa)
Note: 組曲「黒塚」 is translated Black Mound Suite and is the grave of an onibaba in Nihonmatsu, Fukushima Prefecture

Note: Kurozuka was first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, Second Edition.
Ushi-oni is a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, Third Edition.
Oboroguruma was first described in Konjaku Hyakki Shūi, Second Edition.

1. 羅刹 (Rasetsu; Rakshasa)
  2. 朧車 (Oboroguruma)
  3. 煌 (Kou; Radiance)
  4. 牛鬼祀り(Ushi Oni Matsuri; Ushi-oni Ritual)
  5. 烏天狗 (Karasutengu)
  6. 陽炎忍法帖 (Kagerou Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of Shimmering Heat)
  7. 月に叢雲花に風 (Tsuki ni Murakumo Hana ni Kaze; Moon in the Clouds, Flower in the Wind)
  8. 組曲「黒塚」安達ヶ原 (Adachigahara)
  9. 組曲「黒塚」~鬼哭啾々 (Kikoku Shuushuu; Weeping of restless souls)
  10. おらびなはい (Orabinahai; Shout!)

Fuuin-Kairan (封印廻濫; Sealing the Loop)

Translators Note: Uwabami is the name of a Japanese youkai. It also has the colloquial meaning for “heavy drinker”. So the title for track 6 can be read “Long Live Uwabami” or “Cheers To The Drunkard”, but I’m sure it means both. Possibly because Uwabami fed on passer-by’s, and anyone drunk and unlucky enough to run into Uwabami…would expand his lifespan!

Dodomeki and Tsuchigumo were yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, Third Volume.
Kamaitachi was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, First Edition.

1. 火車の轍 (Hisha no Wadachi; Wheel Tracks of Kasha)
  2. 百々目鬼 (Dodomeki)
  3. 窮奇 (Kamaitachi)
  4. 空蝉忍法帖 (Utsutsemi Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of the Cicada)
  5. 土蜘蛛忌譚 (Tsuchigumokitan; Detestable Tale of the Tsuchigumo (this is a pun))
  6. 蟒蛇万歳 (Uwabamibanzai; Hurrah Heavy Drinkers!)
  7. 浸食輪廻 (Shinshoku Rinne; Erosion Cycle)
  8. 月姫 (Tsukihime; Moon Princess)

Houyoku-Rindou (鳳翼麟瞳; Phoenix Wing, Unicorn’s Eye)

Note: Nue was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, Third Volume.
Sougenbi was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, Second Edition.

1. 焔之鳥 (Honou no Tori; Firebird)
  2. 鳳翼天翔 (Houyoku Tenshou; Soaring Phoenix Wings)
  3. 麒麟 (Qilin)
  4. 妖花忍法帖 (Ouka Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of the Bewitching Flower)
  5. (Nue)
  6. 叢原火 (Sougenbi)
  7. 飛頭蛮 (Hitouban (a yōkai from Chinese mythology whose head separates from the body and floats about))
  8. 面影 (Omokage; Your Shadow)
  9. 星の宿り (Hoshi no Yadori; Chinese “Star” Constellation (one of the 28 mansions))
  10. 舞いあがる (Maiagaru; Fly High)

Mugen-Houyou (夢幻泡影; Illusion of Vapor and Shadow)

Translator’s Note: ; The character 舞 (Mai) in 舞頚 (Maikei), when used as a noun, refers to a type of traditional Japanese dance consisting of simple and quiet movements. 頚 is a character for dance and is used to reinforce the unusual reading of the first kanji.

Wanyuudou was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, Second Volume.
Kappa was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, First Edition.
Enenra was a yokai first described in Konjaku Hyakki Shūi, First Edition.

1. 夢幻 (Mugen; Illusion)
  2. 邪魅の抱擁 (Jami no Houyou; Evil Embrace)
  3. 睡 (Nemuri; Sleep)
  4. 鼓動 (Kodou; Pulse)
  5. 舞頚 (Maikei; Japanese traditional dance)
  6. 輪入道 (Wanyuudou)
  7. 煙々羅 (Enenra)
  8. 涅槃忍法帖 (Nehan Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of Nirvana)
  9. 夢虫 (Yume Mushi; Butterfly)
  10. 河童をどり(Kappa Odori; Kappa Dance)

In’you-Shugyoku (陰陽珠玉; Jewel of Yin and Yang)

Note: A compilation with a few exclusive tracks worth translating.

The clockwise swastika is a solar symbol (卐, Surya), suggesting the motion of the Sun in India (the northern hemisphere), where it appears to enter from the east, then ascend to the south at midday, exiting to the west. The counterclockwise sauwastika (卍) is less used; it connotes the night, and in tantric traditions it is an icon for the goddess Kali. In Jain symbolism, it represents Suparshvanatha – the seventh of 24 Tirthankaras (spiritual teachers and saviours), while in Buddhist symbolism it represents the auspicious footprints of the Buddha. The Japanese language uses either 卍 or 卍字 (Manji) to express this symbol, although it generally translates to swastika in the English language. It’s basically a cross.

1. 醒 (Mezame; Awakening)
  2. 梧桐の丘 (Aogiri no Oka; Hill of the Pheonix Tree)
  3. 悪路王 (Akuro-ou)
  4. (Manji; Swastika)
  5. 螢 (Hotaru; Firefly)

Garyo-Tensei (臥龍點睛; (Horizontal) Eye of the Sleeping Dragon)
Note: 組曲「義経」is translated Yoshitsune Suite

Translator’s Note: The phrase ‘Onikoroshi’ stems from the phrase “Michinoku Onikoshi” which describes sake “dry enough to kill demons”. Also means Demon Slayer.

Shiranui was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, Second Volume.

1. (Reki; Thunder)
  2. 龍の雲を得る如し (Ryuu no Kumo wo Eru Gotoshi; Like A Dragon Obtaining A Cloud)
  3. 彷徨える (Samayoueru; Wandering)
  4. 甲賀忍法帖 (Kouga Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of the Koga)
  5. 不知火 (Shiranui)
  6. 鬼ころし (Onikoroshi; Fire Water/Demon Slayer)
  7. 月花 (Gekka; The Moon and the Flower)
  8. 蛟龍の巫女 (Kuraokami no Miko; Kuraokami’s Shrine Maiden (The characters for kuraokami is written “snake dragon” in a context about Emperor Keikou seeing an okami dragon in a well))
  9. 組曲「義経」悪忌判官 (Akkihougan; Evil Judge)
  10. 組曲「義経」夢魔炎上 (Muma Enjou; Succubus Flames)
  11. 組曲「義経」来世邂逅 (Raisei Kaikou; Encounter in the afterlife)
  12. 我が屍を越えてゆけ (Waga Shikabane wo Koete Yuke; Walk Over My Dead Body)

Maou-Taiten (魔王戴天; Heavenly Crowning of the Devil King)

Note: Oukubi was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, Third Volume.
Hyosube was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, Third Edition.

1. 序曲 (Jokyoku; Overture)
  2. 魔王 (Maou; The Devil)
  3. 黒衣の天女 (Kokui no Tennyo; Celestial Maiden in Black)
  4. 不倶戴天 (Fugutaiten; Sworn enemies)
  5. 覇道忍法帖 (Hadou Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of Military Rule)
  6. ひょうすべ (Hyosube)
  7. 大頚 (Oukubi)
  8. 骸 (Mukuro; Corpse)
  9. 接吻 (Seppun; A Kiss)
  10. 生きることとみつけたり (Ikiru Koto to Mitsuke Tari; I Find it Means Life)

Chimimouryou (魑魅魍魎; Evil River and Mountain Spirits)

Translator’s Note: 野衾 is supposed to be read Nobusuma, and refers to the mythological creature that resembles a flying squirrel. First described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, Third Volume.

Shuten-doji was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, First Volume.
Shokera and Aobouzu were yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, Third Edition.
Dojojinokane was first described in Konjaku Hyakki Shūi, First Edition.
Onihitokuchi was a yokai first described in Konjaku Hyakki Shūi, Second Edition.
Momiji was first described in Konjaku Hyakki Shūi, Second Edition.

1. 酒呑童子 (Shuten-doji)
  2. 蘭 (Ran; Orchid)
  3. がしゃ髑髏 (Gashadokuro)
  4. 野衾忍法帖 (Nobusuma Ninpouchou; Ninja Story of Nobusuma)
  5. 紅葉 (Momiji)
  6. 青坊主 (Aobouzu)
  7. (Nüba; Drought Demon)
  8. しょうけら (Shokera)
  9. 鬼一口 (Onihitokuchi)
  10. 道成寺蛇ノ獄 (Doujouji Kuchiwa no Goku; Dōjōji Temple, Snake Prison (a reference to the kabuki dance drama Musume Dōjōji))
  11. 鎮魂の歌 (Chinkon no Uta; Requiem Song)
  12. にょろにょろ(Nyoronyoro; Slitheringly)

Kongoukyuubi (金剛九尾; Sturdy Dazzling Ninetails)
Note: 組曲「九尾」is translated Ninetails Suite

Note: Tamamo-no-mae was a legendary figure first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, First Volume.
Sessho-seki was first described in Konjaku Hyakki Shūi, Second Edition.
Kosodenote is a yokai first described and illustrated in Konjaku Hyakki Shūi, Second Edition.

1. (Baku)
  2. 蒼き独眼 (Aoki Dokugan; One Blue Eye)
  3. 十六夜の雨 (Izayoi no Ame; Sixteen Nights’ Rain)
  4. 小袖の手 (Kosodenote)
  5. 孔雀忍法帖 (Kujaku Ninpouchou; Ninja Story of Kujaku)
  6. 挽歌 (Banka; Elegy)
  7. 相剋 (Soukoku; Rivalry)
  8. 慟哭 (Doukoku; Lamentation)
  9. 組曲「九尾」~玉藻前 (Tamamo-no-mae)
  10. 組曲「九尾」~照魔鏡 (Shoumakyou; the mirror that shows the true figure of evil)
  11. 組曲「九尾」~ 殺生石 (Sessho-seki, “Killing Stone”)
  12. 喰らいあう (Kuraiau; Devour one another)

Kishimojin (鬼子母神; Kishimojin)
Note: 組曲「母神」is translated Kishimojin Suite

1. 組曲「鬼子母神」~啾啾 (Shuushuu; Weeping)
  2. 組曲「鬼子母神」~徨 (Fuan; Wandering)
  3. 組曲「鬼子母神」~産衣 (Ubugi; Newborn baby clothes)
  4. 組曲「鬼子母神」~ (Namasu; a type of Japanese food)
  5. 組曲「鬼子母神」~鬼拵ノ唄 (Oni Koshirae no Uta; Come here, demon!)
  6. 組曲「鬼子母神」~月光 (Gekkou; Moonlight)
  7. 組曲「鬼子母神」~柘榴と呪縛 (Zakuro to Jubaku; Pomegranates and Spells)
  8. 組曲「鬼子母神」~鬼子母人 (Kishibojin) (Hariti (a child-eating demon))
  9. 組曲「鬼子母神」~怨讐の果て (Urami no Hate; Uttermost Malice)
  10. 組曲「鬼子母神」~径 (Wataru; the way (of proper conduct))
  11. 組曲「鬼子母神」~紅涙 (Korui; Tears of Blood)
  12. 組曲「鬼子母神」~鬼哭 (Kikoku; Demon Sobs)

Fuujin Kaikou (風神界逅; Encounter With Fuujin at World’s Edge)

1. 風神 (Fuujin)
  2. 神風 (Kamikaze; Divine Wind)
  3. 然れど偽りの送り火 (Shikaredo itsuwari no okuribi; But Still a False Bonfire)
  4. 一目連 (Ichimokuren)
  5. 蛇蠱 (Hebimiko; Serpentine)
  6. 飙 (Biāo; Hurricane)
  7. 無風忍法帖 (Mufuu Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of Calm)
  8. 八尾比丘尼 (Yaobikuni)
  9. 眼指 (Manazashi; Gaze)
  10. 雲は龍に舞い、風は鳳に歌う (Kumo wa ryuu ni mai, fuu wa outori ni utau; Clouds dance to the dragon, winds sing to the phoenix)
  11. 故に其の疾きこと風の如く(Yueni sono hayaki koto kaze no gotoku; Therefore, it’s swiftness is like the wind)
  12. 春爛漫に式の舞う也 (Haru ranman ni shiki no mauye; The shiki dance when the spring is in full bloom)

Raijin Sousei (雷神創世; Genesis of Raijin)

Note: Tengu was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, First Edition.

1. 雷神 (Raijin)
  2. 天獄の厳霊 (Tengoku no Imurei; Spirit of Hell)
  3. 千早振る(Chihayafuru; Ferocious)
  4. 人首丸 (Hitokubimaru)
  5. 夜歩き骨牡丹 (Yoaruki-kotsu botan; Night-walking skeleton peony)
  6. 神鳴忍法帖 (Shinmei Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of Thunderclap)
  7. 天狗笑い (Tengu Warai; Laughing Tengu)
  8. 青天の三日月 (Seiten no Mikazuki; Crescent Moon in an Azure Sky)
  9. (Kasane)
  10. 蜩 (Higurashi; Evening Cicada)
  11. 而して動くこと雷霆の如し (Shikashite ugoku koto raitei no gotoshi; With the Mobility of a Thunderbolt)
  12. 雷舞 (Raibu; Thunder Dance)

Karyou Binga (迦陵頻伽; “Kalavinka”)

Note: Jourougumo was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, First Edition.
Rokurokubi was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, Second Edition.
Ningyo is a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Hyakki Shūi, First Edition.

1. 迦陵頻伽 (Kalavinka)
  2. (Luan)
  3. 熾天の隻翼 (Okiten no Sekiyoku; one of the six heavens of the desire realm)
  4. 刃 (Ha; Blade)
  5. 廿弐匹目は毒蝮 (Nijuunihikime wa Dokuhami; The 22nd one is a pit viper)
  6. 御前の瞳に羞いの砂 (Gozen no hitomi ni Haji no suna; The Sand of Shyness Upon Your Eyes)
  7. 轆轤首 (Rokurokubi)
  8. 氷牙忍法帖 (Kourikiba Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of the Icy Fang)
  9. 人魚の檻 (Ningyo no Ori; Ningyo’s Cage)
  10. 素戔嗚 (Susanoo-no-Mikoto)
  11. 絡新婦 (Jourougumo)
  12. 愛する者よ、死に候え (Aisuru mono yo, shini souroe; My beloved, die)
  13. 風人を憐れむ歌 (Kaze hito o awaremu uta; A Song of Pity For The Poet)

Hadou Myouou (覇道明王; High-handed Overlord)

Translators Note: 隷 (Rei) is a term that does not translate cleanly into English without explanation. To explain, I have to take a bit of a detour and explain seal script. Seal script is an ancient style of writing Chinese and Japanese characters that was common throughout the latter half of the first millennium. It was an evolution upon bronze script, which itself was writing in a variety of Chinese scripts on ritual bronzes, done with a stylus in the wet clay of the piece-mold before the bronze is cast. Before bronze script was Oracle bone script. Seal script was succeeded by clerical script, known in Japanese as reisho (隷書). During the later years of the Warring States period (戰國時代, 475 – 221 B.C.), together with increasing speed of communication, the need for a writing system that would be easier and faster than seal script (篆書, tensho), and, on the other hand, the appearance of more accessible writing tools (such as invention of paper around mid-3rd century B.C.) further encouraged the development of clerical script. One of the explanations given by historian for its peculiar name (隷, “rei” in Japanese means a “slave”, but also a “petty official”) is that it was initially used by lower class clerks, servants, etc., and the fact that it was secondary to seal script. I’m using the “Petty Official” version of the translation.

I also wonder if Track 2 is a reference to the game Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord, known in Japan as 覇邪の封印 (Haja no Fuuin)

Itsumade was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki, Third Volume.
Tesso was a yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, Second Edition.

1. 覇王 (Haou; Supreme Ruler)
  2. 覇邪の封印 (Haja no fuuin; Seal of The Dark Lord)
  3. 以津真天 (Itsumade)
  4. 桜花忍法帖 (Ouka Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of Cherry Blossoms)
  5. (Rei; Petty Official)
  6. 腐蝕の王 (Fushoku no Ou; King of Corruption)
  7. 一本蹈鞴 (Ippondatara)
  8. 飯綱落とし (Izuna Otoshi; Izuna Drop (lit. piledriver))
  9. 鉄鼠の黶 (Tetsuso no Yan; Mark of Tesso)
  10. 無礼講 (Bureikou; Abandon all Ceremony)

Ryuuou-Douji (龍凰童子; Legendary Dragon King)

Note: Nurarihyon and Akashita were yokai first described and illustrated in the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, Third Edition.

Ryūō are dragon kings from Buddhist cosmology who gave up their evil ways and have dedicated their lives to helping humans reach spiritual enlightenment.

1. 霓 (Niji; Rainbow)
  2. 龍葬 (Ryuusou; Dragon Funeral)
  3. 鳳凰の柩 (Houou no Hitsugi; The Phoenix Hearse)
  4. 大いなる闊歩 (Ouinaru Kappo; Great Strides)
  5. 茨木童子 (Ibaraki-doji)
  6. 猪笹王 (Izasaou)
  7. 滑瓢 (Nurarihyon)
  8. 赤舌 (Akashita)
  9. 月華忍法帖 (Gekka Ninpouchou; Ninja Scroll of the Moonflowers)
  10. 白峯 (Shiramine)
  11. 迦楼羅 (Karura)
  12. 覚悟 (Kakugo; Readiness)
  13. 両面宿儺 (Ryoumen-sukuna)
  14. 静心なく花の散るらむ (Shizukokoro naku hana no chiruramu; Flowers are falling quietly)
  15. 心悸 (Tokimeki; Heart palpitations)

If you liked these translations, you can buy me a coffee. :coffee:

7 Likes

i’ve honestly never given them the time of day and yet i’m just happy they’re still around

1 Like

was trying to find Japanese readings for the titles on the new album and found this instead lol

1 Like

tracking so I don’t forget to listen to them

1 Like

I recommend their 2008 album 魑魅魍魎 as a good starting point

1 Like