1000 days later, we still can't find the artists behind this song... Can you help?

Hi, 3 years ago on a song identification forum, user KillerJack posted this: Rock sample to name - 698063 | WatZatSong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_CkLgz_O1c

The story so far is, they got the song from a YouTube video circa 2010. Though that’s about all of the searching Jack did. Since then, a group of people have formed around the song and trying to find it in higher quality and the artists behind it. A lot of bands have been suggested before such as Balflare, Fuga, and Lalarieze.

Do you have any ideas who might be behind this song? Someone who might know? Any help is appreciated as it would be wonderful if we got to hear the song in its full glory.

Edit: It’s a big theory right now that the track is spliced and looped, and the true length is 5~6 minutes. Some people think there are different lyrics in the loop though and due to the low quality, that’s still open.

Here’s a spreadsheet of the open leads from the discord:

1 Like

Supposedly, this is the full song. But no idea about the songname

I just straight up asked Kanta from deviloof, if he could help. Not sure if he’ll reply but maybe some of his fans will recognize it. I asked in English and google-ized Japanese, so maybe that’ll help. Also, if there any Japanese people/artist who have a tendency to reply to some tweets, maybe they can help you out?

1 Like

Thanks for the help. We’ve already asked a couple of people but it’s still a small number and more people who are knowledgeable always helps. Here are some from back in 2021:

"Contacted (and ruled out) leads:

Billm99uk: Encyclopaedia Metallum user who has submitted hundreds of Japanese metal bands to the site, doesn’t know it, says it sounds very Divine Wind.

Divine Wind: Contacted singer for the band, says the song is very wonderful, but does not know it. (He is interested in it though).

UnlostHorizon: Reddit user who wrote the beginners guide to Japanese Power Metal, and is heavily into the genre. Thinks it could be Japanese, but says it would be worth broadening the searching to all of East Asia. He says the song reminds of him of Melodius Deite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyJmK2XbKaI (It is not them.)

Unknown Power Metal YT: Contacted, left on read"

Somebody’s gotta ask it, but why are you so fixed on finding who made that song?
I understand hearing a song you like ans trying to find it, but it seems you’re a bit obsessed with finding who made that song.

A fun thing about lost songs like this one is that they’re only kept alive on their merit and intrigue. No big marketing teams backing them, not even artists and bands (a name and a face) to attach to them. The music survives alone, sometimes in a much worse state than this one.

So when the artist is found (assuming this is actually obscure and we’re not just dumb,) it’s a pretty happy moment when they get the appreciation that they deserved and missed out on.

You might have heard of Panchiko. If not, look them up. The story of how an album that was only printed 30 times, mostly to friends and family, and couldn’t get any radio playtime resurfaced 20 years later and carried the band behind it to actual stardom.

6 Likes

Out of all the lost songs, this one actually feels pretty achievable. Some are sad, and seemingly need a miracle to be answered.

1 Like

It still stays weird for me personally. But everybody got their own interests, so that cool. Good luck finding that song

I think it’s really cool that you’re working so hard and so diligently to find who made the song. I can’t help unfortunately, but I really respect the quest. Best of luck.

6 Likes

When I saw lost power metal song, I was hoping it might be something from one of the old pre-Galneryus demos I have laying around - unfortunately I don’t recognize this. The song is really cool though!! Please report back if you find the answer elsewhere. I also really love obscure lost media like this.

2 Likes

I find lost media hunting deeply interesting. Good luck in the journey!

2 Likes

Did you post it on metal-archives too?
Also there is japanesemetalforum and sure maybe try reddit

Just if you didn’t try it there already :woman_shrugging: just suggesting

1:45~ish reminds me a bit of the band 403 or “403 Forbidden” notable for memes/animations (working off my limited knowledge of Japanese Power Metal.) If it’s doujin metal, lord have mercy that’ll be a pain in the rear to find. I’d start looking for a similar sounding Japanese power-metal band to the sample and use the “Similar Artists” feature on last.fm and work from there.

**This sounds like something that’s on NND. Downside is that it’s a pain in the ass to find anything on there. The best information there is the 8:33 song-length.

1 Like

If it’s doujin, it’s definitely not Project Shrine Maiden. I’m pretty familiar with all the themes before 2010 and this isn’t one of them.

Sounds like a song from GAUNTLET.
A “vocal base” that maybe used at live performance?!

Yes for all 3 but I can’t remember how long ago that was. Not much came off of it.

1 Like

Checked them out and I don’t really hear the resemblance. Last.fm has been invaluable for anything late 90s and 2000s true, I’ve added a table in the main post about the open leads from the discord.

For NND, what does that stand for? (Edit: Oh, Niconico Douga) Also, it’s actually suspected the track is 5~6 minutes due to a splice and a repeated segment. Would track with the idea that it’s from a montage or MV on YouTube and someone stretched it for their needs.

@zeus Thanks, could’ve never even imagined there was a specific touhou metal scene. If you know of someone who was active there and the time and could maybe recognise the band (even if it isn’t Project Shrine Maiden) that’d be great.

@fcnantes GUANTLET has not been brought up before and I do hear something of a resemblance, thanks. Don’t really understand what your second sentence means though.

It’s hard to say because as far as I know, the scene isn’t as centralized as the visual kei one is. But I’ll ask anyone I know.

Same reason people get into lost media of any kind, I think. There’s an intrigue there, as well as a sense of archival preservation. I think the folks who hunt down lost media like this are doing great work :slight_smile: