2000's Kote-Osa

So I thought I’d make a thread for the true kings of Vkei: Kote-Osa bands from the 2000’s.

For those who don’t know, Kote-Osa was the general type of Visual Kei popular between the years of 2001 and 2007, and declined until it’s sole remaining bands were R-Shitei and GossiP. Kote-Osa, like the name suggests, brings together influences from both Kote-Kei and Oshare-Kei, but also even from fringe Vkei. Early Gazetto and Ayabie, for example, had some minor Guruguru Eigakan influences. Bands from this era are said to include: The GazettE (early, now just regular Vkei), Ayabie (early, now Oshare-Kei), DEViL KiTTY, early Kiryu, Cuartet, Panic Channel, Phantasmagoria and KuRt
Here are some of my favorite Kote-Osa bands.

5 Likes

DEViL KiTTY’s kote-osa? It’s funny because they even composed a song called アンチお洒落系 :joy: My favorite, btw

2 Likes

Yeah I think the song was kind of a joke since all of their stuff is tongue-in-cheek lol. Plus they were close with other Kote-Osa bands and even actual Oshare bands lol (most notably The GazettE on the Kote-osa side, and SugarTrip on the Oshare side lol)

Yuga was kinda like “it’s ok to be oshare if you’re my friend” lol. He had ties with death+qpid/SugarTrip, Delphinium, Yayoi from Deadly Sanctuary went to form jewelry… :rofl:

1 Like

The song Banzai Oshare Kei also pokes fun at both Kote and Oshare musicians. Supposedly the lyric poster (since they never released a booklet, just a poster with the lyrics for Akumakicha and Kiai) says “Actually, I’m oshare” at the end

2 Likes

Phantasmagoria’s likely my #1 koteosa band, but I think a huge chunk of my favs fall into that category too. (I suppose most of Undercode would fall under this too?)

Never thought about considering Devil Kitty koteosa before, but I guess it does fit? They defintiely sound way more punk-influenced than the others though!

1 Like

Punk imo is a huge part of Kote-Osa. I’ve noticed a lot of early Kote-Osa bands took influence from Kamaitachi and Guruguru Eigakan. Especially bands like The GazettE, GALACE and Cuartet, have a ton of punk influences

2 Likes

I think the punk and thrash elements are why I love it, honestly. Just the right mix!

1 Like

Same here! I feel like the 2000’s had a nice resurgence of Punk influences thanks to the re-releasing of COLOR and Kamaitachi records in 2002

1 Like