An interest in "previous band history" and the psychology of it

This is a topic that has been on my mind probably forever, but I never really thought about making a topic about it until now. When I was a kid and I first got deep into VK, one thing that definitely played a role in my interest in going deeper and deeper was my interest in band histories. Think for instance something like Vocals: Mao (Ex. SELFRUSH ā†’ SADIE (ć‚µćƒ‡ć‚£) ā†’ Sadie , ā†’ The THIRTEEN , ā†’ Sadie , The THIRTEEN). That kind of thing.

Some reasons why band histories interested me was that:

1: I usually enjoyed the past bands of band members A LOT, it seems like musicians are often more boisterous, angsty and passionate when theyā€™re just starting their careers, but they donā€™t have to skillset to take that passion to its fullest yet.

2: For novelty value. Having rare sought-after bands can have a nice ā€˜feelingā€™ to it, especially when newer to that whole thing. I donā€™t know if this seems selfish or goes into the whole ā€œhoardersā€ mentality but itā€™s something many of us can probably relate to on some level.

3: Appreciating the ā€œindie soundā€. I feel like early/preliminary bands have a less refined and more offhand sound which appeals to me and this somewhat fits into 1 regarding the less refined bit.

4: Guessing what to expect. This sounds a bit counter productive to an earlier point but part of my enjoyment in preliminary bands is that I can look into the memberā€™s band histories and guess what kind of awesome sound I might expect when I hear them. Iā€™m often right!

I think we all have different reasons for being interested in band memberā€™s previous bands but Iā€™m curious what everyone elses experiences/perspectives are with this!

6 Likes

I think itā€™s a pretty self evident way of discovering new bands. If you have a musician you like for whatever reason (talent, style, hotness :slight_smile: ) it makes sense if you want to see what else theyā€™ve been in. You can also see how much they improved (or didnā€™t) over the course of their career, especially in the case of singers. I only got into VK some years ago, but I used and still use databases like vkgy (or visual ioner back then) to explore bands this way.

2 Likes

I do look into the band history sometimes and I like it if I discover that a member was in another band I know. But I donā€™t really like to look into their past projects. Probably because I prefer to get into new artists when they are still active.
I understand the appeal of getting ā€œrareā€ stuff but I also find it frustrating if itā€™s hard to get and I find it kind of sad when I already know, they wonā€™t be making new stuff.
But if a bands disbands I like to look into the new projects of the members, tho. Seem I am more of a forward person. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I would also like to bring up something else that I thought of, which is that some musicians seem to ā€˜evolveā€™ when they join new bands. Thinking again of Mao from Sadie who went from this bright pop sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZtBGXW5f9I to this darker sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdoryhf4PXU

Surely the musicians you play with play a huge role in your own development as a musician, which seems to be the case with many musicians in VK. The label of course plays a large role in that change as well.

1 Like