Artist(s)/Band(s) that you would love to get into, but it just won’t click?

I think I will die happily if somebody tell me why the gazette has so many fans…

1 Like

They were doing something different and experimental for the time and they have some pretty big personalities and Ruki is a force. That being said even the best of bands can get stale if they’re around long enough and don’t evolve. GazettE are basically at Diru or L’Arc levels at this point in my opinion. They haven’t released anything in forever and don’t need to until they’re looking for a cash grab. I stopped caring about them after Dim so…13 years ago lol I really liked DOGMA though. Might give MASS a shot and go down nostalgia lane.

The Madna. I love their images and general aesthetic but their music is just a total bore for me. :frowning:

5 Likes

Matenrou Opera. I saw them live at my local convention, and I didn’t think they were bad or anything, but they’re one of the few bands I’ve seen live where I had no interest whatsoever in listening to more of their music afterwards.

1 Like

for me it is Jiluka.
I respect them, but I have a hard time in getting further into their music then last faith.
I don’t like their way of mastering the tracks, it sounds extremely flat and makes it lose all its power.

1 Like

In early & late 2019, I tweeted Ao in English after the concerts ended with photos of the merch I bought (and my gaijin passport) and ticket stubs and he replied me in English thanking me for supporting them so ya, they don’t dislike overseas fans :rofl:

1 Like

Of course, who will hate gaijin who give them money :upside_down_face:

The main one that comes to mind has to be Plastic Tree. I don’t know why, I’ve tried listening to some of their songs, and I liked Sink, but I can’t really get into them for some reason. Another band is Kiryu. For me, it’s hard to find a place to start, because it seems like they’ve released so much and a lot of it ends up sounding the same. I don’t think I’ve heard a B.P. Records band that I’ve liked. The Piass is the same situation, I just don’t know where to start. And sadly I can’t really get into many 80’s Visual Kei or proto-kei bands, I only seem to really listen to X Japan, Color, Aion, and Buck Tick, and that’s about it. Not really interested in Dead End or D’erlanger, and I’ve tried getting into Boøwy, but I’ve only seemed to like the song Bad Feeling.

1 Like

Try Gilles de Rais (not the gothic one) they’re pretty accessible proto-Kei.

1 Like

There are some bands and artists I know I would like but if they have weird or confusing releases I usually end up overlooking them because I’m so tired haha. SUI is specifically one that comes to mind but the the last few years have been better so I started picking up those releases. Otherwise I just wait and see if something comes up cheap second hand because it’s too much effort to figure out some of their releases.

Musically gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy and by extension merry go round are two bands I can’t get into and it’s just something to do with the singer. They’re not bad singers by any means but they’re just kinda boring? It’s a little bit like AIN’s short lived band Jiga, same deal, something about the singer is just boring? Maybe they’re a better live singer? I’ve been to live shows with great singersbut boring CDs and maybe it’s just the studio/recording/mixing that is just doing something to their vocal tracks that make them feel so dull?

Another band is Xaa-Xaa, they’ve had a few songs that I really liked but the rest of their catalog just doesn’t do it for me.

I like their music it’s like the perfect middle for me and it’s not heavy. They experimented a lot with the saund too so we can find a period that we like?
Probably the managers? Their looks?
And for 20 years to not be at least a little popular it’s a little sad…
Now I’m thinking about it and my little brain is steaming :melting_face:

Nameless.

You can clearly hear that Noah is the composer. Yet, Avanchick was so clean and nice to listen to. Unfortunately, since Nameless is a child of Avanchick and Nazare, it just sounds like a mess to me.

Anything that kiyoharu & hyde does, bar a few exception. with kiyoharu… or Kuroyume in this case, i always see them as one of the inspiration of modern vk, like some of their fans be like: “You better appreciate they does, otherwise you’ll never have Diru or GazettE” like ok, i appreciate what they does, but every time i tried to got into them… i just can’t. They were just too cheesy for me. And the only song that i enjoy from them was Geneura in 2014. (that i honestly hope they explore that kind of sound even more, but they already disband at that point) and with hyde, i feel like the only stuff that i like was DmC related. I don’t know what Drink it’ Down, MAD Qualia, and Defeat did for me, maybe it was “Heavy song good, Poppy song bad” mentality that i have. and before you said VAMPS and anti exist. well i did try to get into them but it won’t click at all.

I do not know wether this applies but there is a sharp disconnect for me concerning Dazzling Bad. Their bassist sparked my interest because he had some covers on his channel by many bands I like or even love. I decided to check them out and I liked their overall sound in each of the few songs I checked out. Until the vocals came in. This is probably among the worst I have yet heard in VK. Unforgivably bad. Like, I can enjoy Phantasmagoria or LIN even if Riku is not that good of a singer. But this guy sounds completely awful.

1 Like

I just can’t get into Malice mizer… I like Vers elle/Bel air, but it doesn’t go much further than that whoops

X-Japan, I watched already the whole documentary once and also made a presentation for school about them. Nothing got me any further to liking them. But it always felt like I ignore the heart of VK. But since TLRS I feel indifferent towards it. Because now I don’t feel like you should put any expectations or effort in any of Yoshikis groups, you simply will get it or never will
The art of life of our pretentious artsy wine aunt.

1 Like