Beginner guitarist VK songs?

Hey, guys! I saw a thread a while back about VK songs that beginner guitarists could play/learn to. It’s been a few years, so send me some recommendations!

(playing for 1 year)
Gear:
Ibanez GRX20Z tuned to E Standard
Marshall MG15R

4 Likes

Tune to drop D and hide with spread beaver - pink spider is a good easy song! First full song I learned as a wee lad.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried to cover too many VK songs, and I’m not that great at guitar (yet!), but I found Dir en grey’s Byou Shin (from MISSA) is pretty easy to pick up. Plus, it’s in E standard so no fiddling with the neck just yet.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a shot today, friend! Thank you!

1 Like

Byou Shin is great, I’ll try to play along to it too!

small update, I got my hands on a Boss Katana 100 mkii, so I’ll very easily be able to mess with emulating tones and effects as well!

2 Likes

I found a few other songs that were pretty easy to play by just listening and messing with the pentatonic scale.

• Limit Break x Survivor by Kiyoshi Hikawa starts off on the major scale.
  • LOVE DEEPER by Yuiko Tsubokura is a minor pentatonic. I think. I gotta ask.
  • I was also able to cover the vocal melody in Ringo no Uta by Tokyo Jihen. This was hard mode haha.

try vanitas by DIMLIM

3 Likes

Do you know what tuning it’s in?

Drop G#

1 Like

I’m gonna keep this one in the back pocket for when I get a seven string and start messing with alternate tunings. Thanks!

P.S.: Do you know if the entire album is recorded in Drop G#?

I’m back with another one.

Now there’s two issues that I ran into with this tab that you might run into as well:

• I don’t have a seven string (yet)
  • Song is tabbed a whole step up.

I think the notes are correct because it resembles the rhythm guitar melody. I talked to my teacher and he confirmed that for now I can just ignore the bottom string and play the rest of the melody on my six string. It won’t sound as heavy but it’s a start, and it’s not too hard to play the opening tbh.

But yeah this is a mental note to myself that when I acquire a seven string that I need to tune every string down a whole step and then play what is described and see if that works.