Censored word in Nightmare song deciphered

In their song Visual Kei Is Not Dead, Cuz They’re Undead (From Awakening single 2016) there’s a censored word in the song just before the chorus at the end. You only hear the initial consonant and final vowel sound. No lyrics site had the word uncensored. In interviews, Yomi and Sakito said this about the censored word.

•Four kanji characters
•Popular term in the titles of erotic videos
•Banned from broadcasting
•Only meant to be sung live

The only footage of this song live was in their Awakening of Clowns tour final which isn’t available online. I bought the DVD and Yomi said the word so awkardly and slurred so it was hard to hear. But we figured it out !!! The word is 近親相姦 (kinshisōkan). It means incest.

This song is lamenting the current state of VK artists that have largely become stale and copies of each other. The verse translates to “Just like incest
It’s lousy cloning”. Which I think is an extremely vulgar but very well made analogy.

7 Likes

Wrong section. The lyrics section is for posting lyrics. Moved to the Japanese Music one.

This is a post where I talk about lyrics. But sure

I think that word has been banned for a long time in japan, to use in lyrics etc.
Didn’t DeG try something similar in their doom metal version of Tsumi to Batsu (on youtube)?

Maybe that’s why it’s never performed these days. Song was released in 2016 and the concert I have is from that year as well.

1 Like

There are words banned to use in lyrics in Japan? Not to start a whole other conversation, but now I’m curious

Yes there are. I first encountered them with Dir en grey lyrics. The original recording of 業 (Karma) used the word 奇形児 (kikeiji; deformed child) which is another one of those no-no words. Same word pops up again in GAUZE version of mazohyst of decadence.

I’ve also heard egnirys cimredopyh +) an injection is spelled backwards to dodge censors, but I don’t know why “hypodermic syringe” would be a censored word. In the booklet, 肆・陸・壱・伍・漆 (Shi・ro・i・go・na) is a placeholder for 白い粉 (shiroi kona), which means “white powder” and refers to cocaine.

There are a few more scattered throughout their discography.

5 Likes

miyavi’s gagaku reissue had entire sentences in コインロッカーズベイビー wiped out once he signed a major deal and they reissued it in 2006. anything dealing with babbies and abortions gets cut off.

same reason Deg went missing from mainstream TV after releasing embryo, their last single in a long time that had a studio “live” performance, which ended up hurting their CD sales.

6 Likes

Yes there are. I first encountered them with Dir en grey lyrics. The original recording of 業 (Karma) used the word 奇形児 (kikeiji; deformed child) which is another one of those no-no words. Same word pops up again in GAUZE version of mazohyst of decadence.
I’ve also heard egnirys cimredopyh +) an injection is spelled backwards to dodge censors, but I don’t know why “hypodermic syringe” would be a censored word. In the booklet, 肆・陸・壱・伍・漆 (Shi・ro・i・go・na) is a placeholder for 白い粉 (shiroi kona), which means “white powder” and refers to cocaine.
There are a few more scattered throughout their discography.

To add to this, “Zan” has the same censor. You can find all their censored songs here: Category:Censored - DEGwiki

3 Likes

DEG had a song that I loved called “Obscure” which for along time I never knew what the censored part meant…until I found out it meant something like "aborted fetus " or “deformed fetus”. Which is weird because the former seem so common in Japan (or at least on Tanuki)

OBSCURE has no censored part from what I know. Maybe you mean mazohyst of decadence?

• “Cage” is a placeholder for a word that is censored in the track. The censored word is 奇形児 (kikeiji), which means “deformed child”.
  • Interestingly, Kyo sings the き (ki), but the rest is censored with a beep. The Japanese pronounciation of “cage” is ケージ (kēji). If the two words are put together, they’re pronounced キケージ (kikēji) or きけいじ (kikeiji).
  • During live performances, Kyo doesn’t censor the word.
2 Likes

In my opinion there’s a difference between “banned to use” and “no-no words”. If it’s the latter it’s not really “banned” (as in the use is fined/penalized etc), but just not used publicly/self-censored.

Are only Japanese words ones that are censored? I know they tend to write fxxk instead, but The Madna straight up used the word Fagman in a song…

I’m pretty sure it counts as banned, since even newspapers won’t print it.

Oh yeah. I was thinking of the wrong thing. Thankies :smiling_face: