Cornelius has resigned as composer for Tokyo Olympics

I am actually speechless lmao, they had over 125 million people to pick from…

3 Likes

There is a whole Wikipedia page dedicated to all the controversies around the Tokyo Olympics

6 Likes

This is my favourite one so far

2 Likes

paws up for olympic swimmers, I hope they get giardiasis from swallowing all that odaiba sewage water UзU"

I had like five minutes of retching internally alternating with the harshest ugly cackling while reading this, what an ugly mess, what an embarrassing ugly-ass mess.

1 Like

I am happy that I don’t care for sports

6 Likes

our cosmopolitan olympic kings winning again :clap:

I like that it’s always expat twitter digging up shit to get Cornholius and his kin out because whatever lol boys just do boy things!! meanwhile someone gets fired from the gig they were already invited into like nbd:

Tokyo Games only want qt arian girlies playing that music of the spheres for them, pleawse don’t hate UwU``

5 Likes

In other news, METAFIVE’s new album was cancelled two weeks before release. Cornelius is a part of METAFIVE, so they’re probably doing this for optics.

THIS IS THAT BULLSHIT.

now we gotta get miss out on good music cuz of this “woke” cancel-culture bullshit

I hope that shit leaks :joy:

1 Like

Knew that would happen, sucks, Takahashi was recording the other day, I guess for a solo album, since that’s the only way we’ll get to hear new music from him now.

“[METAFIVE (Yoshinori Sunahara x LEO Imai)] METAFIVE welcomes Yoshinori Sunahara and LEO Imai, Seiichi Nagai (Gr) and Kenichi Shirane (Dr) as support members as a special organization for FUJI ROCK FESTIVAL '21. Will appear.”

So it looks like METAFIVE will continue on in some capacity without Cornelius @CAT5.

1 Like

Don’t see the point without Takahashi, I wonder if he’s too ill (with him being in and out of hospital for treatment recently) or just doesn’t want to be involved like Towa Tei and Gondo.

1 Like

In the Japanese statement he said some of
it was true, don’t know why he left it out of the English one

Deepl translation

“However, as stated in the magazine, when he was a new student in elementary school, I and my classmates did not understand that he had a disability, and that is why I was curious about him without hesitation. In hindsight, I realize that our actions in elementary school, such as sprinkling blackboard eraser powder in cardboard boxes, went beyond the realm of everyday play and became a form of bullying.

I am very sorry that my lack of self-awareness as a child and my stupidity in my 20s when I talked about it in a magazine hurt him and others who had similar experiences. I had little contact with him in junior high school, but when we met again in high school, we had more opportunities to talk and exchange letters and New Year’s cards, and he became one of my friends.

It is true that I hurt him in elementary school, and since I spoke so carelessly in the magazine, you may think that it was my own one-sided perception, but when I think back to my daily life with him as an actual experience in high school, I honestly feel that it is difficult to describe him as anything other than a friend.”

so nice of him to clarify he referred to dog shit, not human shit! that’s one detail we needed to make our best judgement on the situation.

@Shane
if you google this scandal around, there’re testimonies from parents of students he was messing with at the time; while none of them pressed charges, he is remembered as a huge asshole.

4 Likes

Ryuichi Sakamoto statement

1 Like

The writer of the article that included Cornelius’ apology statement said that the original blog people used for the info wasn’t accurate and said they should’ve asked Cornelius himself the truth instead of getting the media to bash him.

Seems the Metafive album will be released after all 小山田圭吾「東京オリンピック“いじめ辞任”」から2か月、「発売中止発表」METAFIVEの新アルバムが発売へ!「3つの理由」 | 概要 | 日刊大衆 | 芸能 | ニュース

Apparently it’s on Tower Records’ system for November release

4 Likes

They’re having a livestream (including Cornelius) and a limited number of tickets come with the new album! Unfortunately Takahashi won’t be performing due to his treatment.

Scrolling through this thread gets worse and worse.
Even if the events are dated, if no accountability is taken, and is even jested upon, people—especially the victims—have every right to ask for said accountability. Because he did a horrible thing? lol

It should be mentioned that the reason it was ideal he resigned was because it’s not a good look if you still allow a composer who not only forced a disabled child to eat actual shit, but mocked people with Down’s Syndrome, to work for the… checks notes Tokyo… Paralympics. Not just necessarily because he did an awful thing in general, but because it kind of completely goes against the whole purpose of what the Paralympics are for.

Anyways, he apologized so that’s good!
It’s very unlikely this will be held against the remainder of his career.
On the other hand, I understand why he was no longer involved in the games.
It was a willful resignation seemingly, and I think it was the right move.

The METAFIVE release still happened, so everybody wins.

3 Likes