DeepL translator

DeepL is neural network made for translating.
It got quite a lot of praise in the news in my country recently. I gave it a try and it looks pretty good.

Try it out and share your thoughts on it.
Don’t know if this is the right category for this post.

4 Likes

This is the site I use 95% of the time and it keeps getting better it’s improved a lot in just the last 6 months.

1 Like

I use deepl almost exclusively now when trying to write people in Japanese.
I use google translate to translate whole pages basically since it’s just more convenient to do that in browser.

I never learned how to write Japanese or proper grammar for that matter but from years of ‘reading’ Japanese blogs and lyrics, I notice that the translation deepl provides is a little off here and there.

Sometimes the sentence structure and the way it romanizes certain words are clearly off from what I know is correct. In the latter case, I don’t think any online translator will know when to use katakana versus hiragana so it’s understandable that I have to correct those issues.

And for English to German, it’s really damn accurate too. I have no complaints there.

1 Like

deepl… its good as its bad.

you only can translate one sentense at a time and you need to be careful about some more things before even using it.
it translates well in English.

for english to japanese its almost the same as google translation. sometimes it gives a better suggestion. but…

I still think to combinate google translation, deepl, google and dictionary is still the best way to understand stuff.

but google translation does good if you know how to use it to get out what you mean, even if it sounds not natural. deepl would be the same for sure. :grin: just train yourseld into it.

2 Likes

Translator programs are good for aproximate translations. I don’t think that will change anytime soon. I usually don’t use them, I just search for translations someone else did.

「I just search for translations someone else did.」

Usually helps, but stuff about “love and friendship”, stays hard to translate/understand.
It’s even difficult for Japanese native speaker to understand things correctly.

1 Like

I know, but I don’t really mind if I don’t have translation for something. With music I usually go by
feel when listening, when I have translation, that’s bonus. I don’t usually listen to stuff about “love and friendship” :grin:. But I understand what you mean by that.

1 Like