D'espairsRay

Okay guys time for a band I know almost everyone here knows. D’espairsray another stellar band who had an impact on both the vkei and non-vkei scene. This band formed in the 90’s under the name +D’espairsRay+. They gained a lot of popularity and traction around that time with their “Genwaku” and “Kumo” singles. Later on at some point their changed their name just simply D’espairays without the + signs. Afterwards they released a lot of hit albums and singles that we know and love today. In 2011 the band eventually disbanded due to the vocalist Hazumi damaging his own voice. Eventually Hazumi would go into retirement for a little while. Eventually he came out of retirement to form NUL. which is currently active. The other members would go on to be in other projects or bands. What are some of your favorite releases. They have a lot of stuff so I’ll just link some popular songs below.

Vocalist: HIZUMI
L’eveil , → +D’espairsRay+ , → D’ESPAIRSRAY → retired → NUL.

Guitarist: Karyu
Dieur Mind as YOSHITAKA → +D’espairsRay+ as KARYU → D’ESPAIRSRAY , → Angelo → Karyu solo , H.U.G

Bassist: ZERO
+D’espairsRay+ → D’ESPAIRSRAY , → THE MICRO HEAD 4N’S , → THE MICRO HEAD 4N’S , OFIAM

Drummer: TSUKASA
L’eveil , → +D’espairsRay+ → D’ESPAIRSRAY , → THE MICRO HEAD 4N’S , Mogamigawa Tsukasa (最上川 司)

6 Likes

I need to listen to their other releases, cause I only know Coll:Set (and I love it)

2 Likes

Coll:set is their best album for me, Infection and Forbidden are my favourite songs of us. I love Redeemer so much too (Paradox 5, my favorite ballad of D’espairsRay).

1 Like

Unpopular opinion here Monsters isnt bad. Not many like that album I personally like it there’s maybe 2 or 3 songs I don’t like.

I recommend collset, Born, Mirror and Redeemer

2 Likes

Dears was like the second VK song I ever heard and I love it and Coll:set sooo much. One of my fave bands ever, was so happy to see them live in Helsinki in 2008. I really hope they would do a comeback now since Hizumi is out of retirement (and designed a logo or sth to the other members’ session band Luv PARADE??), it would be so awesome

3 Likes

Coll:set is an undisputed masterpiece but I have so much nostalgia for Redeemer. It still holds up when I revisit it too, even though I feel like it’s one of those “you had to be there” albums. I’m less harsh on MIRROR these days but Redeemer really was a return to form.

Also their earliest stuff is really cool and somewhat unique for the scene. Every D’espairsRaymond fan ought to listen to Sexual Beast if they haven’t heard it before.

6 Likes

D’spairsray is one of my favorite jrock acts of all time. They had such a unique sound. Some of their songs are industrial, some goth, some heavy rock and metal sounds. Obviously influenced by Korn’s vocal and bass styles.

My favorite tracks are kamikaze, squall, kaleidoscope, infection, Mary of the blood, paradox 5, and horizon.

I wish I got to see them live. I enjoy NUL., but it’s just not the same…

5 Likes

Ah, D’espairsRay, my all-time favorite band :purple_heart: met many wonderful people thanks to them and I was lucky enough to see them live twice.
I really enjoy NUL. too but of course, my heart yearns for a D’espairsRay reunion with all the original members.

3 Likes

They had one in 2014 but it was for one day I think

1 Like