DEVILOOF - Damned EP

10 Likes

This is up on Spotify and is absolutely killer

I liked this song tbh, this is just another dusky vision.

1 Like

I really like their growth as a band has improved, I missed Ray singing more🩶

Hugely disappointed, it’s incredibly disjointed and is a mini-album searching for an identity.
To channel the great food critic The Report of the Week.
IMG_9312

1 Like

Awkward and aimless EP imo. The opening track was probably the most decent one.

3 Likes

I would not have imagined Keisuke being the weakest piece from this EP but, hey, he is.
Completely off on The Blackened Sun, like he was trying to do something he is not used to (and good at). Afterlife is an average Deviloof track, not good not bad just a filler one, when False Self is just another Dusky Vision.

Oh, and, did they forgot to record vox for Terpsichore or is that another useless 4mns long track?!

Well, it’s an EP so I don’t have the same expectations as a LP, but Purge was funnier… 7 years ago.

3 Likes

I liked some songs of the Dystopia album.
Weak ass major debut though. Trash.

I don’t even know if these guys have any ideas left at this point.
Might just give up already :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Would be fun if that’s due to them running out of the material that was left from their departed guitarist who’s now in Desperado

This is their best work since devil’s proof, also blackened sun is a bop

1 Like

Imo they should have left the pandoras box song from dystopia for their major debut single.

The only good track off the EP.
Deviloof was never anything special but this is underwhelming and sub-par even for them.

1 Like

I liked Damn and False Self a lot, the instrumental track was better than InCipit but still just an instrumental track, then The Blackened Sun and Afterlife I think are probably my least favorite songs of their discography, also I didn’t feel like it had it’s own sound that separates it from their other releases like their albums usually do, the first 3 songs sound like songs that were gonna be on Dystopia but ended up being scrapped(not including damn, which would’ve been fine on Dystopia).

If tracks 2 and 3 were replaced with songs that instead went for a more symphonic/dark/haunting sound with more use of cleans then I think it would’ve been much better and would give it a different sound from their other releases. I guess like Oni but replace the Japanese theme with a symphonic one, but I want them to do well so I was hoping people disagreed with me.

As for future ideas, I’d like to see them explore the blackened deathcore sound they had with Mob Rule at some point.

2 Likes

It took me a bit to get around to this album as I’ve been severely backlogged, so the overwhelming mildly negative response of this EP was puzzling to me. I thought they were doing alright. It hit me like a brick to the face somewhere on my third spin of DAMNED. It’s something that affects DYSTOPIA too, which is why I never gave any of my thoughts on it despite being excited about it when Newspeak was a single.

I get it now.

DEVILOOF didn’t run out of Seiya’s riffs. They ran out of Seiya’s riffcrafting. Composing music is an actual talent and skill, and take this next opinion knowing it comes from an intermediate guitarist, but the diminishing returns of drop tuning kicks in around Drop C. That’s hovering around 65Hz. Drop B and Drop A are fun and totally valid (I play in Drop A), but there’s a certain muddiness with the perception of sound that comes when you dip under 60Hz. Considering bassists may want to drop their tone too, and they can dip to as low as 30Hz on a 5 string, and it just requires a different approach to composing. One that sweeps across multiple octaves and utilizes the entire range a 24 fret guitar neck provides.

Seiya had a way of taking Drop A riffs and making them work. DEVILOOF as it is now…doesn’t. The first three tracks feel like a series of perpetual breakdowns sprinkled with eight measures of lead guitar and some electronic synth. DEVILOOF use the palm muted dun Dun dun Dun dun DUN DUN DUN dun dun Dun dun Dun dun rhythmic pattern way too much. The cathartic release of energy a breakdown provides wears off when presented the same way every time. The Blackened Sun feels as out of place as Bathory did when he dropped Octagon to little fanfare. Afterlife could have been a minute shorter. Damn is a fun track to listen to, but also disjointed, and I bet it benefits from having a good music video.

This is gonna sound like total heresy, but DEVILOOF should experiment with playing in different keys. The beauty of a 7 string in Drop A is that you have access to every tuning between Drop A and Drop Eb. Good equipment and a good preset can make Drop D sound plenty heavy. I’m gonna go against the grain and say Terpsichore is the best track here; it’s the only one where the guitarists can let loose. It moves with such passion and fury that it cleanses the palette and Dusky-Vision False Self comes in for the great closer. Ray on vocals is always a great time and provides much needed contrast to Keisuke. The last two tracks have this tone and this approach to music I felt were lacking in the first three.

I want this band to start taking notes from Entheos. They also play Drop A sevens, so it’s a good band to take inspiration from. This is really progressive; every time you think they’re going to lean into a breakdown they move into a new direction instead. I also echo everything @MorteSilenz said about alternative directions they can explore.

So yeah, Damn, Terspichore, False Self? :+1: Not so enthused about the other two.

12 Likes

Agree with a lot of the above, ive been saying since they started with NAZARE that if they stuck to 7 strings like on DIMLIMs VARIOUS release(s) i feel the riffs would have much more clarity and thus be more enjoyable but atm deathcore(ish) bands in vk all seem to just be trying to be as heavy as possible and not always paying attention to how audible things actually are. Haha. + I used D standard on certain projects and as you say that can still sound heavy as hell so theres no real need to detune quite so low, something I learnt early in my guitar playing career is that tuning low doesnt automatically make things sound heavier and more br00tal. Haha.

2 Likes

This, without a doubt.

I think what really struck for me on realizing “DEVILOOF can’t coherently write for shit” was the release of DAMN. It was so disjointed, and had what could have been a great song in there, but they put in so many breakdowns and sudden changes that it lost its momentum constantly.

I think, as odd as this may sound giving their core concept is being “le brootal”, rather than just experimenting with different keys, DEVILOOF needs to experiment with different themes and subgenres too. I think leaning into the more electronic territory they’ve dipped their toes into may work well.

Or even the symphonic elements of Disclosed Pandora’s Box. I think with that song it proved to me that Aisaku has an affinity for writing longer songs, while it suffered somewhat from the same coherence issues the rest of Dystopia had it honestly felt the most structured song on that album.

1 Like

The Blackened Sun is DEVILOOF worst song

1 Like

Im kinda late coming into this topic as well. I just gave it a listen i honestly thought this EP was way better then Dystopia was. I felt also DYSTOPIA was going back to their roots a bit. It felt similar to Purge while mixing some elements of Oni and their own weird background effects in the mix. It was a little off to me and im sure most people agree. I also personally didnt really like PURGE as a EP that much kinda like 2 songs id say thats about it.

Getting into this EP tho. The flow of it felt disjointed. Idk if anyone feels this way but The Blackened Sun, Afterlife, and Terspichore felt lower tuned compared to Danm and false self. Idk its a bit weird i started to grow it odd sensitivity towards hearing music i guess thats why i prefer buds and i call it a day. In either case after raising the volume since the band lowered it. Here are my thoughts:

1. Deviloof - Danm

This was an amazing track theres a lot going on. It hits you like a freight train theres a lot of brutal goodness here overall a great track. More importantly in this track i disliked that they puased the music at around 3:10 with no lead in to that weird radeo frequency bit. I remember touching on this when i heard it but i cant seem to find my old comment odd :smiling_face_with_tear:

1. Deviloof - The Blackened Sun

This track had a decent start. Then it just slowly got worse and worse. For starters he clean/screaming thingy is bad. Idk why he’s purposely trying to sound like that but perfect example of why i say this if you listen to DESTINATION when he does the corus thats what id normally expect or when the first verses of LOVER or another track more recently, beginning of Murderous impulse. Why doesnt he sound like that in this track?

After this beginning part you pause the song at 1:35 with this weird distortion for a solid 15 -20 secs then the song begins again :confused: inhales why…

Idk why they did that. What sucks more about the song is this weird vocals is present through the entire rest of the song here so idk. In my book this prob the worse deviloof song i heard.

1. Deviloof - Afterlife

Okay lets see if they redeem themselves. Beginning part there we go see thats what id expect not whatever the previous track was. Strong start but when they start to get into the chorus felt they should have clean sung that part. It sounds weird to me him screaming this part at 1:53 i felt a clean vocals would have been better here. Solid solo. okay … breakdown cool… Okay and the chorus again. Not a terrible song i felt this song needed cleans to help back it up.

1. Deviloof - Terpsichore

Okay a solid instrumental was jamming to this. Not much to say.

1. Deviloof - False self

Okay by far best track on the EP. Has all those Deviloof elements id expect besides the high pitched screams. I feel his cleans evolved a bit there’s a better harmony to them here. The drumming here is WTF out of control and good. I didnt realized until now wow amazing job drummer 1000 points. Not gunna lie the song is a bit catchy too awesome job guys O_o

1 Like