Deviloof - Songs for the Weak

im normally a really big fan of deviloof, i love their stuff but like … it sounds so thrown together + the random switch from heavy to a weird like … dance music type beat ? threw me off
i really like their music, this song just isnt really doing it for me, it sounds so … wrong ? like multiple songs thrown into one. deviloof have gone downhill since damned id say

2 Likes

I think you can see here in the thread, that a lot of people here are not glad about the song and the EP

That Marylin Manson like part, right?
It was ehm, let’s call it, a choice…

2 Likes

yeah, im grateful it wasnt just me being over critical LMAO

and yeah the manson type beat … theyre experimenting !! just hope said experiments dont go anywhere :smiley:
i mean if they like their music and they like the songs theyre putting out thats good and i wouldnt want them to become industry plants or whatever but at the same time it just sounds so rushed and … bad.

1 Like

First off all, I just wanna echo everyone’s comments about the wierd variation in volume. Bizarre.

Gonna repeat the my opinion about Song for the Weak, it is so fucking long. It has better ideas than Everything is all lies, but it’s lack of focus creates an meandering mess of a song, cut two minutes of it and it would be an banger.

I kinda hate Everything is all lies. Wasted potential. There is things that could have worked, but they did this song in the most trashy way possible.

Living hell is absolutely pointless. Why this is here? It doesn’t even last long enough to make an impression. Writing this I forgot how it sounds.

Execution, my darling. What a way to break my heart. Super strong start. Then the growls start. Then the clean singing starts. Then the song keeps going. This is bad. Not bad in an fun way. Bad in an bad way.

Labyrinth is nice. Labyrinth is good. Saving grace of this mess of an ep. It’s reassuring to see they can still write actual songs when they are not deviloofing all over it

I don’t know what the future holds for this band. They always were edgy for edgy’s sake, but they delivered good songs, they were brutal. Now I feel they are just shadow-the-hedgehoging it in a way that’s just childish and uninteresting

4 Likes

The last paradox song on the dystopia album, the last good song they made (ever will make?)? Hot take?

1 Like

Incredibly mid mini-album. Seiya’s feeling pretty vindicated at this point watching them flub this major label deal. Guess the rumors were true after all and we’re witnessing the fall of DEVILOOF. I only like Labyrinth. The rest all reek of amateur songwriting and bland, downgraded riffs. Song for the Weak in particular is atrocious and that chorus makes me want to blow my own brains out. And it’s five minutes long? Cut me some slack. I have no strong opinion on Everything is all lies. Living Hell is pointless filler. Execution is…not a good song. The cleans kill everything once again. Just leave those to Ray, please.

A wise man once told me that you can tune your guitar as low as you want, but if the riff itself doesn’t sound heavy then going lower won’t fix that. I feel like this encapsulates DEVILOOF’s problems accurately. They have talented members who can’t write extreme metal songs with vocals to save their careers. What they’re playing isn’t heavy, it’s just low.

They can’t keep relying on songs like Labyrinth to pull the EP together; it feels like I’m listening to two different bands. If this is the future of the band at this point, I may as well listen to THE DESPERADO instead.

5 Likes

Josh Middleton/Sylosis are living proof of this ideal. Or the dreamteam of Adler/Morton in LoG, I’m pretty sure most of that material is just drop D

Or hell, we can just look at the OG riffmaster himself Tony Iommi

1 Like

Welp.
It’s my 1st time listening to Deviloof, and, I guess, I can only expect hearing better stuff after the abomination for the weak.

• Song for the weak - yeah, this is The Thirteen kind of stupid, imo (weird riff choices, vocals that just don’t work well and annoying industrial/electronic sounds)… Also, that chorus manages to be a worse version of our favourite dog band. The “ecstasy” part is just stupid. YOU ARE NOT FUCKING NOT, what are those lyrics. This song could be shortened to 3 minutes, and still be awful (but at least I wouldn’t have to listen to those awful parts twice).
  • Everything is all lies - Two words: ape noises. That instrumental part which happens after some rapping is kinda nice, but overall? It’s a mishmash of BLEUGH parts that just don’t work together at all (even if you switch them around).
  • Living Hell - yeah, this is the only bearable piece of music (yet). Ain’t sure why does it exists in here (especially in the middle), but sure, let’s have this palate cleanser.
  • Execution - Okay, now I get the title of this EP. It’s a song for the weak, since it works as a sedative. Also lmao vocals during the chorus. Somehow I’m getting Slipknot vibes out of it. EXECUTION, jesus fucking christ shut your mouth already. First proper solo. Finally. It definitely makes this song more interesting (not by much, btu still).
  • Labyrinth - yeah, I guess that’s why Zeus singled out Labyrinth. At least it has some variety in guitar play. Maybe I just don’t get this genre that much (again, the “overcooked/burnt meat” analogy), but most of this EP tries to be brootal so much that it makes me numb to it.

I listened to the main song twice and once to the rest of EP, and, it seems, that much time was put into making this EP as well. Now I’m kinda obliged to check their upcoming stuff, just to see if they can get better.

4 Likes

This whole EP really makes me wonder who lost a bet and had to sign them to a major label.

2 Likes

SO… I took a listen…Wow. So for starters i agree with morte. it’s more of a single with them having only (3 songs+SE+Instrumental…). Pretty accurate. Its like they half assed this entire thing almost feels like an unfinished EP. I feel like the band should have given themselves time to refine their sound after they announced going major but Ill be honest here. The instrumentals here aren’t bad by no means. The do however need to drop this weird techno vibe they got going on. I just think its honestly just keisuke (桂佑) that just needs to take vocal lessons. Specifically clean vocals. They also need to severely drop all english lyrics. I apologize but they aren’t good :confused:. The only time they were decent enough was here and thats about it:

I’ve heard better clean vocals from indie vkei bands. Like im talking vocalists who only released one single and quit vkei. Its crazy cuz everyone here knows he can scream better and do cleans better he just chose’s to do weirdness with his voice on purpose but why??? Im now interested in an interview with this band for this specific ep on what they were going for. What they were thinking… :thinking:

2 Likes