DIR EN GREY New Album "PHALARIS" Release

The album cover is pretty much identical to what l pictured in my mind. Also gas mask look is :fire:.

1 Like

Damn, these visuals are badass. Really hoping they reflect the sounds. If so, we’re in for one hell of a ride. :wink:

1 Like

so glad i got splurged for the limited edition, gonna look so nice on my shelf with the rest of my diru collection

1 Like

It’s the “Eddie” reference, just as I predicted

4 Likes

I assume we gonna get new song’s radio edit on 3rd of June.

4 Likes

I think the visuals are corny as fuck but the dark lipstick is a slay! Kyo is giving a bit of kizu teas

Yay a new music video! Hype is real!

I’m expecting RED SOIL PV pt 2.

Giant golden cow rendered in terrible CGI.
Obviously green-screened background.
Kyo’s face becomes the cow at some point.
Trying so hard to be edgy but just comes across as cringe.

6 Likes

If 9,900円 isn’t enough for you. Amazon | 【店舗限定特典つき】 PHALARIS (完全生産限定盤 CD+特典CD+Blu-ray)(クリアポーチ付き) | DIR EN GREY | ミュージック | ミュージック 14,980円

lol sometimes I wonder how greedy even the biggest names in japanese rock/vk are recently, Tatsuro is another one? or has it really become that hard for them to earn money recently?
If thats the case I don’t even want the imagine the economical situation of the smaller bands…

2 Likes

Being in what you call small bands does not make money. In fact, that’s always a net loss for them. When you earn 150€/$ for playing at 300kms from your home, driving 2 at 3 cars for musicians and all the gear you got, or rent something bigger, well, you can’t be economically stable.

About physical releases, they recently get more expensive because album sales does not make money to the band either. Only lives and merch sales do. As they couldn’t play lives/gigs/events during the covid era, it was a high miss to win for 'em, and that’s why releases have their price up.

As I personally am in a “small band”, you can’t even imagine how much it costs to us, musicians, for everything. Having a label doesn’t make you earn a cash advance anymore. They only do all the communication/social networks/booking stuff. Nothing more, nothing less, except maybe for the biggest band, as they can rent for you a recording or rehearsal studio, shit like that.

Keep in mind that recording, mixing, mastering, doing the artworks, MV, etc. + pressing and releasing an album cost A LOT MORE than it can sell…

6 Likes

No wonder so many VK bands disband after their first album

2 Likes

My friend is a musician in Japan and the costs are insane, I don’t know how any small band gets by. Even small livehouses renting one and equipment is expensive as fuck just for a short set.

1 Like

For the VK bands, you can add the outfits, which is why a lot of new band won’t have fancy suits. That cost is even more insane :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A lot of this is why both of the bands I play in do all of our own recording, mixing, and other production. Music just doesn’t make much money at all, and if you’re at a local level like my bands are, it’s more a money sink than anything else.

But we do it for the love of it, not for the money :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if this was intentional or not.

11 Likes

Woah, nice find there.

1 Like

Yeah ive been in bands for years and can also confirm that it more costs money to be in bands and release music and such so as said before you only really do it if you love the music. Haha.

This is Kyo we’re talking about. Everything he does is intentional.

2 Likes

Is Kyo’s hairstyle really supposed to look like a cow just licked it?

1 Like