DIR EN GREY New Album "PHALARIS" Release

I’m not so sure about completion, since Toshiya was in the middle of recording bass just 3 days ago ( Login • Instagram )

Unless the whole recording process doesn’t take a lot of time (I don’t know about how the album recording usually goes).

they put up a “now printing” placeholder before the cover design is finalized and published. the album is definitely not ready yet.

if their CD printing facility in Japan is no longer affected by corona (I think Kamijo cancelled all physical releases on his label for about a year? doesn’t he print through freewill?), the CD will go to print about a month ahead of the release, maybe a bit more than that if they still mail out promo copies on physical CDs.

Slightly confusing. I guess they just threw that generic ‘NOW PRINTING’ image up on the site because they don’t have cover art yet.

Recording time in the studio is dependent on many factors. If the band knows what they’re doing, it can take a week. If not, it can take years.
If the band owns the recording studio, they’ll probably spend longer there and oversee the whole process. Not many bands own studios, and indies will spend as little time there as possible as it’s really expensive to hire out the space and engineers.
If they’re bound by contract to deliver for a deadline, they’ll obviously want to be in and out asap.
They may be practising social distancing because of the pandemic, in which case recording may be dragged out over several smaller sessions.
A band like Dir en grey probably spends a month or so getting their tracks down.

Mixing might take a while if the music is especially layered/complex. For a typical band, it’s usually 2-4 weeks.

Mastering might take anywhere from a day to a week.

Before the pandemic, printing/distribution usually took about 3 months (not sure now).

5 Likes

i agree. actually, objectively speaking, arche is one of deg’s best albums and the one in which they seem pretty comfortable doing something they’ve never done before playing those “atmospheric” metal melodies for an entire album. not to mention kyo’s peak of singing.

7 Likes

I know I’m likely the minority on this but I personally think Arche is degs best album Uroko, Phenomenon, Rinkaku, Cause of fickleness, Kaishun, Behind a Vacant Image are some of my favorite Deg songs.

7 Likes

It’s subjective.

My take on why some consider ARCHE trash-tier is that the previous three albums TMOAB, UROBOROS, and especially DSS were all very cohesive conceptual experiences, each moreso than the last. In comparison, ARCHE really does feel like just a collection of songs. That’s not to say that’s a bad thing. It hearkens back to the older style, like on Withering or kisou where every song sounds different.

Possibly those who didn’t like it expected a sequel to DSS, which is something that the band perhaps knew they couldn’t live up to.

I don’t think ARCHE is DEG’s best album (again, this is subjective). However, it’s damned solid stuff, and I’m impressed every time I revisit it.

7 Likes

No offense but I definitely disagree with this sentiment. Arche is also highly conceptual and seems like they were trying to blend their kisou and Macabre sound with their modern prog metal sound. Which lead to a much more melodic album overall and in degs case I absolutely adore this. All subjective though as you said for sure.

2 Likes

Is it, though? Like, it’s a concept album like The Wall or The Downward Spiral? All the band said prior to its release was that it was about “pain”, which is pretty vague. There are no recurring musical motifs. The songs are all friends with each other, they all fit, but there’s no overarching narrative as far as I can tell. It’s a collection of songs. Most albums are, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

3 Likes

Agree to disagree I guess lol.

5 Likes

Maybe more info on the contents when pre-orders go up?

Not like it matters, it would take a SALUS-size rugpull to convince me to not buy the Blu-Ray edition.

Will 100% be getting the limitied deluxe version! I’ll be in Japan by the time the tour comes around too so hopefully can get to a show or two as well. Exciting stuff is coming!!! Unless what they havent announced yet is the new album is in fact… a new album of REMIXES. haha.

I want either more interesting remakes (T.D.F.F. was a good one), or at least some demos and stuff for CD2. No remixes, pls.

i want a gabber version of cage

5 Likes

Why stop there? How about a gabber remake of the entire Gauze album??

2 Likes

DOZING GREEN (Acoustic Ver., live debut)
NEW SE
Zetsuentai
Kuukoku no Kyouon
Ningen o Kaburu
Devote My Life
CLEVER SLEAZOID (2020 Ver.)
DIFFERENT SENSE
Aka
Ranunculus
INWARD SCREAM
Keigaku no Yoku (Performed with different lyrics)
The World of Mercy
Oboro (live debut)
Kasumi (2013 Ver.)

Encore:
Followers
OBSCURE (2011 Ver.)
Ochita Koto no Aru Sora
Sustain the untruth
Hageshisa to, Kono Mune no Naka de Karamitsuita Shakunetsu no Yami

The set list of that show. Honestly, this is one of the most boring, generic sets from TIW tours. No deep cuts, nothing really of interest except maybe CLEVER SLEAZOID and Kuukoku no Kyouon (it’s unclear if DOZING GREEN Acoustic was playback or actually performed).

Not only that, we’ve already had similar sets on blu-rays for The World of Mercy, Oboro, and Ochita singles. Even though the latter is impossible to get, my point still stands that this is almost completely redundant.

The -a knot- only shows on 3rd and 4th September were way more interesting! They played Tefu Tefu at both shows! Karasu! Spilled Milk!

Goddamn it.

2 Likes

Well, they did had Sogai footage filmed, after all (a digest version of it was released on youtube).
Strangely, DVD does not include digest footages from Desperate gig (10.27 one) and from Final Days ones.

IMO, they should have released all of them in one go.

2 Likes

ah fuck, actually gonna have to not buy the blu-ray purely out of principle if sustain the untruth makes the cut.

It seems like an TIW has had so many releases of live content - though I’m still half-expecting it to get its own dedicated DVD performance like all the other albums have gotten.

1 Like

the acoustic version was performed live, otherwise I would’ve put it as @Tape on setlist.fm x)
it sounds beautiful, by the way :>

as such, the DVD/Blu-ray is out of the equation, for me ._.
all my hopes lie in disc 2

1 Like

Im expecting disc 2 to contain all the ambient tracks from spotify and an extended cut of the world of mercy.