• 響 – Die
  • Eddie – Die
  • 御伽 – 薫
  • カムイ – 薫 & Die
3 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

No known author of Otogi?
I guess then the whole band was responsible for it?

No, just no information so far. Maybe in one of the magazine interviews that will go on sale today, I think.

In general, all songs are credited to DIR EN GREY, as per usual. Those composer credits are taken from the YG interview with Die and the album’s booklet interviews.

I wonder how they decide who the primary composer of any given song is. Is it just “who brought the idea in first”? For me, a major part of the band’s sound has always been the interplay between Die and Kaoru’s guitars, and the way many of Toshiya’s bass parts weave in and around the guitars. Even if there’s a single person who a song originates with, each member contributes parts and adds to the whole.

As I said, there is no primary composer. Each song is credited to DIR EN GREY.
Back when they used individual credits, most songs were credited to the person who brought in the first idea. For example, Shinya wrote Yurameki before they recorded it, so that one is credited to him. Kaoru did Akuro, so that one is his.

By the way, Kamui used to be two songs. Similar to TWoM.

2 Likes

Mentioned in booklet, I assume?

No, in the YG interview. x)

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information, interesting to know Kaoru and Die compose the whole album primary according to that Interview… When you get the info for Otogi please post here.

1 Like

So David Bottrill Mix the Whole Album with the exception for Oboro, and Carl Brown Mastered the whole album?

I love Tued Madsen Work in Diru’s past album so no problem with it.

I need more time to form my opinions but after my first listen i think it’s very strong. it’s really everything i thought it would be and feels like their most cohesive effort so far.

Eddie

1 Like

I love you.

Now, in all seriousness…
I know that I’m more known as TIW fanboy… but I can step down and agree that Phalaris is a good, mature album.
The only song I would get rid of is Mouai ni Shosu, and even it has some awesome gang vocal parts.

1 Like

Im still on my first-time listen of the album, so a LOT of these songs are gonna have to grow on me.

But its definitely Hibiki, Eddie, and Kamui.

Edit: sp

1 Like

team schadenfreude, perfume, 13, kamuy

3 Likes

Im team Kamui/Perfume, but i prefer Hibiki and Mouai.

1 Like

tbf oboro is still my favourite that song touches my damn soul

1 Like

Ok but what the fuck did they do to the end of Ochita? I thought the mad breakdown at the end MADE that tune but theyve really shittily edited out the drums? I love this album so far, the sounds finally bang on (imo) between DSS, Arche and TIW, but some of these little details (like the weird switch in oboro) just pISS ME OFF and the best part of Ochita being ruined hurts my souuul.

I am here to stake my flag into the “phalaris ochita>single ochita” hill, though I wasn’t a huge fan of that song on its own.

I feel like it’s going to be a bit before I can express thoughts about the album as a whole. I’m enjoying it a lot though. Really thankful the boys blessed us with long songs that aren’t Vinushka again. 13, Hibiki, and Otogi are the standouts for me right now.

3 Likes

So I finished listening and my faves were “Utsutsu, Bouga wo Kurau”, ochita and “Mouai ni Shosu”
Utsutsu had an old sound to it, reminded me of macabre era and the album version of ochita felt much fuller than the single. But yeah it’s a good release

1 Like