DIR EN GREY - The Devil In Me

Maybe it’s the ADHD, but a lot of DEG songs post-Arche have given me this feeling of lacking oomph, and I’m not sure why. There’s a bunch of amazing songs on TIW, Phalaris and even bits of this new single. I really don’t want to be this negative about a band I love, but, personally they’ve been dropping hits and misses since TIW and this song is just okay

2 Likes

it might happen because Kyo keeps more memorable chorus ideas for dog sukiyaki projects, and Deg gets whatever is left over, whenever on his creative plate, or on his schedule.

they also seem to prioritize creating an epic atmosphere over compositional innovation starting with phalaris.

2 Likes

I’ve had this feeling for some time, too!

1 Like

I honestly found this release overly underwhelming. The part in the preview had a lot of strenght but nothing in the track could hold it up and the whole track sunk into the ground of forgettable commercial misses.
The B-side covers felt like the equivalent of Vocal covers from Mio (from Nazare)

1 Like

Listened a few more times with my best headphones. I consider myself to be very open minded musically, more than your average joe, so after a few listens I started to really get what they were going for here.
It’s atmospheric, moody, measured, and definitely not for everyone. Not the ingredients you would think of for easy radio play / single material.

I feel as though in their pursuit to not let a genre or the past define them, they come to some interesting conclusions in their modern songs. And in an attempt to make something that’s not been done before, they make some tracks that just make their fans go “what the hell was that?” Or “I really didn’t care for that.”
They’re not the kind of band you listen to and expect them to be the same from one release to another. Taking our own tates and preferences aside, you can see that they are always challenging expectations. (Less so with the remakes, but that’s a different story.)

For this title track, I still feel it seems like a lead in to a much bigger album. It’s like World of Mercy condensed into 4 minutes. Perhaps the 1st song on a new album or EP.

4 Likes

PV is up

It’s Gacycore

2 Likes

horrible pv

3 Likes

So the guy is obsessed with Gacy, and starts talking with GacyGPT. I guess our boys are inside the mind of GacyGPT and hence the Willy Wonka Experience

I understand why they thought AI generated stuff woud fit this project, but I don’t know if I like it. It’s interesting, I can see this working. I guess they are trying to make an parallel between the recreation of cycles of violence, with the copy of art. I dunno, maybe reading too much. I wasn’t expecting they would be so literal with their use of IA, making it a part of the mv’s narrative

But Gacy again feels so lazy, there is more serial killers out there

This MV is so 2024 that hurts, maybe it will age badly, maybe it’s good. whatever

4 Likes
7 Likes

Lol what a time to just throw it out. It seems the AI guy finally got it right (hopefully).

Fast first impression - seems they are theme of the pv is american serial killers?

*More detailed look of Kyo’s look

Final impression - the guy with 3 arms is still there. Maybe its supposed to be like that? I personally don’t like this kind of AI diarreah. AI at this point at least, has this specific look and I am not a fan of it. Maybe use it later when it gets better.

The song is EASILY one of their weaker ones, I would take like Utafumi over this lol. It can be a grower but I can already tell its one of the weaker ones. Damn.

7 Likes

As someone who is an opponent of AI, I appreciated the framing of this video.
I feel it touches on a very real topic of how people use AI and chatbots to explore their interests, some of which are really unhealthy, like obsessing over serial killers for example.
At the very least, I can say that it was a bit more tasteful than just saying “Hey AI, make a whole music video for me because I’m lazy.”
There’s actually thought behind it, and not all the footage is AI, some is real stuff.
(Also Kaoru looks awesome in the MV, just gotta say.)
Just wish the boys were on screen for more than a total of 5 seconds. Their outfits are too cool not to be.

It’s not my favorite video for sure. And the fact that it’s edited down sucks because the song already felt pretty short to me.

12 Likes

It will age badly, calling it already.

Also I think a Japanese band focusing on an american serial killer is kind of cringe… like they are trying to be edgy.

1 Like

There is a smoking gun that makes the parallel Gacy-Artificial Intelligence quite clear, and is this shot:

followed by this series of IRL footage:

When we see children imagery elsewhere in mv, it’s in the pepto-bismol mindspace where they are ai sludges

Gacy was abused by his father, and recreated that violence on his crimes. In the same way an machine recieves inputs and regurgitates facsimiles. I feel the full version will drive this point even further

I need to digest it a bit more before deciding if I like it or not. But I enjoyed there is something to talk about instead of 4 minutes of they playing in an green screen with random things on the background. I like when there is a narrative

8 Likes

Do the lyrics even match the theme of the pv?

Some of this comments have suggested a more deep topic than just the song fetishing real life murders but I still find depictions of real life psychopath murders in fictional media absolute respectless. There are serial murders with a weird cult following which seriously gets presents from serial murders, creating alltogether a weird motivation for people to murder to people “to get seen”
And alongside that, the possibility to this video having AI generated images of real life murder victims is also very concerning.

2 Likes

they should have trimmed AI to half of what went there, some of those scenes are looking okay; some of them look like a pink diarrhea fractal that came to life and started growing everywhere it could touch. there’s so much post-processing just to hide all the ugly shit that went in there. I guess, they’ve already done worse, maybe next video will be better (although, I have doubts.)

the band look cool, and the first Kaoru shot is kinda impressive, too.

the ~creative growth~ from making yakuza videos to serial killer videos is cute.

6 Likes

TEA

how about a Runa Tamura PV concept??? the queen DESERVES her own AI-gen PV!!!

3 Likes

I agree, I think this one is going to be a problem for them. Japanese have no thoughts like that (that its respectless etc, they rather think its edgy and cool)… but they are showcasing it to non-japanese people as well. Hm…

Why did they need to do this…

1 Like

Everything related to Kyo from here on will be all AI. “He” is using it in sukikiyo, petit brabocanoba and now DeG. It is here to stay… and I am not very happy about it.

Like you said some scenes are literally just AI diarreah.

4 Likes

Idk, I’m really conflicted. I love DEG but this just isn’t it for me. I’ll listen to the song again later with headphones, maybe that’ll help…
The video is also meh, they’ve definitely made better ones. Kyo just looks flat out weird, and not in the usual good way. His mic stand reminds me of Ivan Moody.
It sucks that I have so little good to say about this… For now at least.

3 Likes