DIR EN GREY

It took me until a few years after Arche came out until I really “got” Dum Spiro Spero. It’s a challenging record to get in to, and yes a lot of the songs absolutely blurred together for me as well for a handful of years. It’s not accessible, and it’s not trying to be.

I’m finally able to appreciate it now. Lotus and Ruten no Tou are in my top Diru tracks these days. But it’s ABSOLUTELY a slow-burn, like NowhereGirl said.

1 Like

Well, sort of. I think this was a bonus track on English editions of the album? But it’s actually a b-side that was initially only on Disc 2 of the JP Limited Edition. It’s a bit like saying Kigan is on The Insulated World (also an EU bonus).

The Symphonic versions can die in a fire. They’re so, so bad. I wish they could’ve recorded a real orchestra. What they went with sounds so incredibly fake. Disappointing.

Iirc when I first time listened to DSS, it also had Rasetsukoku and Amon (Symphonic Ver.) Probably that was either an EU or US version. What I want to say is that Rasetsukoku was heavy, but also much more comprehensible, catchy, and not overloaded with stuff.

Eh. For me those symphonic versions were hit or miss. Symphonic Amon sounds much more full compared to original, while Different Sense even gets emotional during chorus. However, most of the time, I can’t understand what they/Takumi was trying to achieve.

How do you feel about the original version of Rasetsukoku then?

Original version is pretty good, actually! Of course, it has some quirks of that era (like Kyo’s random monologues and weird sound effects), but in the end, original Rasetsukoku is a catchy banger which I’m more than fine to listen alongside the re-recording.
…However, I can only listen to studio recording of original Rasetsukoku. For some reason, most of their pre-2011 live takes sound weird. Feels like Kaoru and Die are playing wrong notes after the intro.
(Rasetsukoku - YouTube 0:17 to 0:26 compared to Dir en grey 「羅刹国」LIVE (2003) - YouTube 0:44 to 0:54 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJQi43t1YUA 1:04 to 1:13). Which is funny, because these parts are closer to the re-recording than the original, but still.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: sukekiyo

DSS is the album that would unironically benefit the most from a hi-fi setup, some nice monitors and a good audition room. If we are to put it besides the original mix of Uroboros, it’s a miracle.
Speaking of Arche, who knew after dozens of listens Cause of Fickleness would end up as the one track that is the most enjoyable.

2 Likes

About a new album, since peeps mentioned it in sukekiyo thread:

I predict early 2022, with an announcement around September~November, since they will be on tour then. They’ll probably play one or two new songs on that tour, too.

Probably at the end of the tour (that’s how TIW was announced iirc).

My question is if we’re getting a third single. If we are, I wonder which re-recording they’ll group with Clever Sleazoid and T.D.F.F. for this album cycle.

As long as we’re still going with loud and bad, I think it’s time to dust off Pink Killer.

1 Like

They should just remake all their pre-Uroboros records at this point :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Remember when DEG sold us the same song twice on one release?

grafik

2 Likes

Yeah, they should remake the whole Gauze to sound just like Tsumi to Batsu remake😁.

1 Like

Funny, but no thanks.
They need to re-do MISSA. It’s dated and some of it’s a bit cringey.

• Never liked what they did with Kiri to Mayu. A blend of the old and new versions would be perfect. Let’s have some more melody in there.
• I can’t be alone in really, really wanting an ultra heavy Aoi Tsuki.
• 「S」, Erode, and GARDEN need updates badly. Make「S」batshit insane, Erode badass, and GARDEN really pretty.
• Although 秒「」深 already got a remake on six Ugly, they’ve done a bunch of different versions of Ash, so why not?
• Bonus tracks: remake JEALOUS, -I’ll-, and Toriko.

2022 will mark 25 years since MISSA’s release in 1997. Do it!

4 Likes

I honestly don’t trust them to remake GARDEN properly.

6 Likes

They should remake the really old and forgotten stuff, but I doubt they will ever do it.
It seems that they don’t like their early era so much.
But who knows they played Jealous recently after all, didn’t they.

I feel they’re butchering either shokubeni (most likely), or 明日無き幸福、呼笑亡き明日 with the most insufferable multilayered ear torturing kyopera over takumi’s synth violins screeching through a distortion filter insert next.

I would want to hear a toriko remake if they kept old vocals on it and just upgraded the instrumentals.

4 Likes

Totally agree with Missa & other indie stuff re-recording. Would throw in old Karma as well, since they have rehearsed it for Rock-May-Kan GIG. Just keep this speed.

Now, I would be very glad for them to re-record and start playing 明日無き幸福、呼笑亡き明日 again. However, I would also prefer if other band would do a cover of it (25th anniversary’s tribute album, anyone?) in a more jazz-swing sound.

Which makes me question why we didn’t get Jealous.

Would’ve mentioned that if they hadn’t already remade it for THE UNRAVELING fairly recently.
Well, I say ‘recently’… that was still eight years ago! I guess they could do it again.

I’d want them to go downbeat and semi-acoustic. Perhaps something akin to the Bottom of the Death Valley remake. Or even full acoustic like Undecided off the GLASS SKIN single; that was a remake done well.

Well, they have also played original version for TMOAB leg of “From Depression To__” tour (which was 4 years ago, holy shit), which also coincided with their 20th anniversary. So, who knows.