DIR EN GREY

undecided stands as king of the remakes for me. They built a few new, interesting detours out of the original song. That approach didn’t work so well with Obscure or The Final though.

Karma and Kiri to Mayu (Hydra 666 too if we’re talking) are great because they built the song around parts of the originals. I like the idea that the song “evolved” rather than aged.

1 Like

Macabre is my favorite remake by far

the new parts really push it over the top

5 Likes

My favorite remake is probably Karasu. The live version of it is amazing.

2 Likes

Ironic how the best remake is a pre-make

8 Likes

Shokubeni off the saku single, which is a hidden track at the end of G.D.S.
Shokubeni off the Hageshisa to… single.

Both are ‘live’ in-studio recordings.

3 Likes

I want to know what the process was like going from this version to the final album version. Other than a few parts musically, it’s almost an entirely different song. There’s obvious similarities and I can kind of see how the process might have went, but there’s still so much that’s different.

I wonder who’s idea it was to take that one riff and make it like, THE riff of the song rather than just happening near the end there.

5 Likes

Never heard this version before! Certainly has a Marrow of a bone feel to it. Enjoyable but somehow it does feel like an unfinished song. I am more impressed by the fan-made PV, it could totally pass for an official video done by the band.

At first glance, without watching the whole thing, it just looks like the DOZING GREEN music video.

5 Likes

am I the only one who is worried that the next Dir en Grey album will become basically a The Insulated World part two?

1 Like

Why do you think it’ll be TIW2?

1 Like

the single tracks all sound to me like if they could be tracks from that album.

I think that’s how it happens with them (especially if 1st post-album single is a leftover from that album).
But, singles usually aren’t portraying the upcoming album very well, so maybe we’ll get something else. I would wait for new single/radio-rip of a song/teasers.

2 Likes

they mostly alternate catering to Kaoru’s self-hatred issues and recording some random shit for the stans; it’s random shit for the stans time.

I really liked the single tracks they’ve been putting out starting with the world of mercy, and TIW singles were the best part of it for me overall.

I don’t listen to any of TIW material anymore, but oboro is a fave.

3 Likes

I’m more worried over them becoming an Ojii-San band… Did Kaoru and Toshiya fall into an aging-fountain? :scream:

1 Like

Quite honestly I’m fine with them continuing the raw stripped down sound because that’s what translates best for live performances. DSS was a weird time but it took them years to get most of that shit to sound right live.

4 Likes

I can feel a difference in every single released post-TIW. Ochita gets kind of aggressive but its also way more gloomy and atmospheric. Oboro is also a much more interesting ballad than any recents. I’ll admit there are similarities too (Ochita → Downfall, Oboro → Ranunculus) but they always tend to use the time between albums to build a new sound out of the previous one, while keeping what they feel works for them.

I think we’ll have a lot of slower tempo songs with more attention to loud/quiet sections and improved melodies. All with the electronic flair from TIW.

2 Likes

Kaoru couldn’t even perform many of the lead parts from DSS live until much later.

DSS sounds like it was pieced together in the studio and it wasn’t until after it was finished that they actually began performing them in full. The album is so disjointed, and I guess that’s part of the charm of it for me.

I’d be fine with more TIW-style material. It sounds great live.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken that’s exactly how DSS was recorded. I recall one of the guys saying how they would send bits and pieces to each other via email or file sharing. They didn’t really work out how it to play the songs live until rehearsals for touring.

3 Likes

Kyo randomly sending Blossoming Beelzebub’s vocal track through email

8 Likes