DIR EN GREY

I haven’t listened to Six Ugly in like a literal decade so I’ll have to fix that really soon because I don’t remember disliking anything from it.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for this thread to step into the footsteps of the old one from MH - I expect y’all to be as snarky as ever when that new single drops in spring.

That aside, I am glad they were the last concert I visited before the Covid fuckery started. That live in munich was great. Even though I didn’t really like TiW as much, the songs were def a banger live. I probably forever love their first two albums the most though. oldschool Diru were maybe an amalgamation of every 90s VK cliché, but they were doing it so right. My very first diru album however was Withering to Death. and after that Vulgar. I used to listen to them a lot. I really need to revisit Vulgar one day.

3 Likes

This! Although i hate English DOZING GREEN a hell of a lot more than English GLASS SKIN.

3 Likes

You’re right that they’re both bad. Absolute nonsense that the album versions were anglicised. Felt like pandering to the Western audience, which ironically is something nobody wants.

Regardless of whether one likes the remaster, at least it includes the proper versions of the songs.

4 Likes

Looks like there’s a short film tour starting on 2021/02/16. 10 dates. Merch is towards the bottom of the page (no images yet).

Guessing there’s a chance they may preview the new single.

Pretty sure this is just for screenings of a pre-recorded show. Not too exciting.

1 Like

They did a no audience concert in the legendary venue “Meguro Rockmaykan” (which is a pretty cool thing Imo) and filmed it. The “tour” is a screening event which shows the footage and I think there will be some talking sessions, too.

But yeah, I’m pretty sure we will get infos about the new single or maybe even about the new album which they are working on since last year.

2 Likes

This is honestly all I care about. Feels like it’s been an age and a day since anything happened.

Not counting the last single as it didn’t get a proper release.

1 Like

Tour goods have been posted, if anyone cares.

IDK WTF an ‘Electronic Portable Warm Pad’ is. Possibly for menstrual cramps? Perhaps I’m overthinking this.

Band chibis L to R: Kaoru, Toshiya, Kyo, Shinya, Die. Guessing Kyo drew these.

Oh my god, I got into this band around late June 2020. Although, I’ve first discovered them in mid-2016 and only listened to their one song, Akuro No Oka.

Even though during the lockdown, I’m glad that I found and fell in love with them while listening to Hagehisa. My most favorite songs are Mushi and egnirys cimredoyph +) an injection, and my favorite album is Kisou.

3 Likes

(hi! uh, new here - i lurked mh for years but never really said anything…)
I first heard Dir en grey in 2003 while at a friend’s house; he was a lot older and, at the time, I was only 9 and was just excited to learn about any music at all. (Drain Away had just been released, but I doubt that’s the song I heard.)
Around 2005 a friend was listening to Withering to death. (as said in a Pokemon forum thread, of all places) and I went “hey, I know that name.”
I’ve been pretty obsessed since; they’re the band I follow most closely aside from some NA metal acts and I’ve seen them six times stateside.
I have some issues with some songs, but I respect their drive and I think I understand what they’re trying to do… as a result, I don’t explicitly hate anything they’ve done.

I used to die on the hill that Tue Madsen’s mastering was just fine, but I’ve come to realize how much more visceral the guitars on Hageshisa’s single version are, so… I have a lot of words about a lot of their history. I’ll stop here.

3 Likes

my favorite album is Kisou (2)

2 Likes

I have a portable warm pad at home. XD
It is a powerbank with an integrated hand warmer for cold days.

OT:
I love this poster!

3 Likes

Today’s setlists

4 Likes

They actually fucking played JEALOUS. Of all songs I want to hear live, that’s the one I thought I’d never see them play again.

1 Like

wtttttf where did JEALOUS and Schwein no Isu came from?! I want to see the performance right now! :sob:

But I don’t understand how there are different setlists. I thought they filmed one live set which is the same for each cinema. So they actually filmed a few more songs to have a varied setlist for different screenings? That’s pretty cool.

1 Like

Dear DIR EN GREY:

Please put the entire second show’s encore on the Oboro Blu-ray/DVD.
Like seriously, holy fucking shit guys.

Love & kisses,

–Nowhere Girl

3 Likes

Jesus Christ R 'n R is fucking terrible indeed

1 Like

Not really. I just have to be in the right mood for it. The refrain is a bit silly.

Of that above list, the only song I absolutely loathe is the English GLASS SKIN. Celebrate Empty Howls doesn’t do much for me, either.

i have a soft spot for english glass skin. its such a train wreck that i find it charming.

1 Like

Oh man, I got a bit too excited when I thought they posted Oboro’s tracklist with the final live track. Felt a bit stupid when I realised it’s just a ‘TBD’ placeholder.