DIR EN GREY

I was just wondering if they’d bring out a very old song for this tour. Deep cuts too. They did it.

They do have a tendency to play older songs on Japanese tours.

Overseas, I get the feeling that they consider basically anything that isn’t current era as a deep cut. R.I.P. the fans who get Hageshisa or SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH as their one special song of the evening…

One of the only good things about remakes is that they’ll play those if they’re new. For example, TIW tour was fantastic because there was a chance to get Ash, Fukai, THE DEEPER VILENESS, Wake, and Kigan.

1 Like

Fckndgdg Schwein no Isu yoooo!

2 Likes

Ah, I remember how I got lucky when Berlin got New Age Culture… Definitely wasn’t expecting that.

1 Like

Super lucky! One of my favourites.

I guess you might say I’m… JEALOUS.

1 Like

I hope they’ll bring Jealous overseas… in some shape or form.

1 Like

I must be the only one here who never cringed at Jesus Christ R’n’R and actually liked it :sweat_smile:

Back to the topic, Jealous and Schwein no Isu surpirsed me in a very good way. I wonder how they will sound since in my book they’ve gotten better at re-recording their old songs.

3 Likes

Speaking of old Dir en grey, I managed to track down their first demo tape listed on vk.gy. The versions of Aoi Tsuki and Karma are certainly…different. I’ll give them that. But I think I prefer the reworked versions that we are all familiar with. Aoi Tsuki in particular has alternate lyrics. Has anyone else ever heard this demo tape?

I also seem to have a live take of a first version of raison detre, a song called 藍紫色 which I remember reading was performed live but wasn’t ever put on an official release, and a live version of a song called 刹那 which I’m not familiar with, but it definitely sounds like Kyo. Anyone wanna enlighten me on where they come from?

Overseas, I get the feeling that they consider basically anything that isn’t current era as a deep cut. R.I.P. the fans who get Hageshisa or SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH as their one special song of the evening…

It’s that, and the sets always being shorter in the West. If you’re doing a tour to promote a 13-track long album with 3 rerecordings as an extra, there’s not going to be many surprises when you only play 16 song sets.

Then there are also the tours in between promoting new music, which the West rarely get. They have a higher chance of containing older songs, just because the concept isn’t as restricting. The Wearing Human Skin tour that came to Europe was a good example of that. The Insulated World was already out at that point, but everyone got a good variety of old and new. I wish it was always like that.

Hearing The Final live was very near the top of my bucket list and thanks to the Wearing Human Skin tour I got that crossed off. It made me so happy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Well, the first Diru gig I’ve visited had Uroko and Blossoming Beelzebub, and I was glad to hear them live. The same goes for Wake, especially due to everyone singing along.
…Now, they’ve also played STU, which gives me the privilege to bitch about STU.

Seeing them throw in Merciless Cult or Vinushka because US/EU fans would consider them “oldies” is good for a laugh. The entire 2009 NA tour + Hades performed in LA were outrageous to hear about but we’re likely never going to see those songs here again.

I was lucky to have seen them play Zan outside of Japan for the very first time. There were no encores on the 2010 tour until that show but they snuck it in before Apocalyptica got set up.

That demo tape is probably a fake copy. If you show me pics, I can tell you more.

As for the rest, they float around online, yeah. You can find out more about Ranshishoku and Setsuna on the DEGwiki. :slight_smile:

I don’t own the demo tape, just the rip. Sorry for the confusion. I can send you what I have if you want to identify it, but I’m 99% sure it’s an early version of raison d’etre.

Ooh, okay. Yeah, the rip is nothing rare, it’s on YouTube as well.

And I got those songs, of course. Some of them are online already, Ranshishoku and Setsuna at least.
But this stuff is usually not available online. Where did you find it? :o

Some user on soulseek didn’t know what he had in his miscellaneous folder.

Thought so. :smiley:
Well, you can compare those two tracks with the ones I linked on the wiki. Should be the same versions.

Yup, what I have sounds exactly like what’s linked on the DEG wiki. Glad that clears that up for certain.

They played Akuro no Oka and Schwein no Isu on NY back in 2009. I missed that show though. We got Ugly and I think Amber.

1 Like

oh I’d kill for ugly. amber not so much

1 Like