DIR EN GREY

Latin America or Spain. It looks like one of the Christs that walk in procession in “semana santa”, but of course, since there are so many, I don’t know which one it is specifically. If anyone knows how to identify it…

EDIT: Okay, it’s the PATZCUARO, MEXICO Christ

How unorganized do you think DEG actually are?
I remember watching an interview regarding the Utafumi MV and the members came with their own outfits to the warehouse, having no idea how it was gonna be filmed. Someone came a few hours late. “Why did Kyo look like that”? Kaoru - “no idea, he just showed up with that outfit”.

2 Likes

Now I’m imagining Kyo showing up at the Oboro shoot completely naked and covered in sticky liquid.

Tbh, his Utafumi look was really unique and memorable. Probably sucked waiting for him to appear, though.

1 Like

The MODE OF lives really proved how hit or miss some of these older (non-redone) songs sound in modern times. Just off the strength of that I cant find any excitement or draw to partake in the polls.

1 Like

5th round of Song Battle has started.

1st round: Amber vs Ain’t Afraid to Die

2nd round: Gyakujou Tannou Keloid Milk vs Zan

3rd round: Pink Killer vs Karasu

4th round: Я to the Core vs Aka

5th round: Reiketsu Nariseba vs The Pledge

6th round: Spilled Milk vs Audrey

7th round: Clever Sleazoid (2020) vs Disabled Complexes

8th round: Ash vs Zetsuentai

9th pair: Unknown.Despair.Lost vs Glass Skin

10th pair: Keibetsu to Hajimari vs T.D.F.F.

Winners:
Ain’t Afraid to Die
Zan
Pink Killer
Я to the Core
Reiketsu Nariseba
Spilled Milk
Clever Sleazoid
Ash
Glass Skin
T.D.F.F.

And from semi-final box:
Jesus Christ R’n’R

vs

Kodoku ni Shisu, Yue ni Kodoku (winner)

2 Likes

Ain’t Afraid to Die vs. Amber is the most titanic battle yet.

Amber is top 5 DEG but it will lose

2 Likes

Hard disagree that the old material doesn’t sound good now.

Maybe they just don’t like performing those songs anymore, so the excitement to play them is gone.

The songs are still good, though. I haven’t seen any MODE OF concerts, so I can’t relate.

Watch some old DVDs like 5 Ugly KINGDOM. They really get into them there.

1 Like

If you can track them down, I personally think they’re worth it. I’m a big fan of the MODE OF Kisou and MODE OF Macabre shows (even just listening to the audio without watching, I can feel the energy in songs like JESSICA and Berry).

3 Likes

Next song battle starting in <15.
Can’t wait for more of my fav songs losing lol

1 Like

1st round: Ruten no Tou vs Children

2nd round: Hades vs Mushi

3rd round: Midwife vs Rasetsukoku

4th round: The World of Mercy vs 304 Goushitsu Hakushi No Sakura

5th round: C vs Berry

6th round: Un Deux vs Kukoku no Kyouon

7th round: Vinushka vs Akatsuki

8th round: Hotarubi vs Namamekashiki Ansoku, Tamerai Ni Hohoemi

9th round: Unraveling vs Machiavellism

10th round: Values of Madness vs Schwein no Isu

Winners in Progress:
Ruten no Tou
mushi
Rasetsukoku
304 Goushitsu Hakushi No Sakura
C
Un Deux
Vinushka
Namamekashiki Ansoku, Tamerai Ni Hohoemi
Machiavellism
Schwein no Isu

Semifinal:
The Fatal Believer

vs
Agitated Screams of Maggots

1 Like

lol Kaoru mentioned Ranshishoku
what a tease >:(

These battles feel kind of pointless because the songs chosen are completely different and can’t be compared. Like Hades vs Mushi? Those songs have nothing in common.

If it were Mushi vs Zakuro, that would make so much more sense.

Random thought: Ranshishoku sounds very much like a demo version of Zakuro.

1 Like

Well, Fujieda just picks them blindly from the box. So yeah, very much random choices.

1 Like

What’d he say about it? Don’t remember them talking about it much in the last twenty years.

DIR EN GREY OFFICIAL
これやってる水曜はいつもスタジオにいます。
藍紫色は勝ち残るかな。

1 Like

EDIT: Fuck it, just screencropped Kyotaku’s post in tumblr.
So, apparently, it’s about bull of Phalaris (or Brazen Bull). Not this horse stuff.

Somehow I can’t imagine this being heavier or more raw than The Insulated World. That’s the vibe I’m getting from this new piece of info.

For anyone who doesn’t know:

from Wikipedia
The brazen bull, also known as the bronze bull, Sicilian bull, or bull of Phalaris, was allegedly a torture and execution device designed in ancient Greece. According to Diodorus Siculus, recounting the story in Bibliotheca historica, Perilaus (or Perillus) of Athens invented and proposed it to Phalaris, the tyrant of Akragas, Sicily, as a new means of executing criminals. The bull was said to be hollow and made entirely out of bronze with a door in one side. According to legends the brazen bull was designed in the form and size of an actual bull and had an acoustic apparatus that converted screams into the sound of a bull. The condemned were locked inside the device, and a fire was set under it, heating the metal until the person inside was roasted to death. Some modern scholars question if the brazen bull ever really existed, attributing reports of the invention to early propaganda.

So yeah, this is really fucked up. For the gamers among you, this is featured in

(spoilered as it's near the end of the game)

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

2 Likes

Damn br00tal

I completely forgot about this scene from Immortals

Greek and Roman mythology and history in a nutshell