DIR EN GREY

I only see mics on the shells, no trigger modules. Even though they could easily just make MIDI triggers in Massey DRT or a similar plug-in, I’m choosing to hope this means the drum tones will be a little more raw and dynamic than the past few records.

Extremely optimistic there. Haha.

Wait, didn’t recording for this start in January? In 2-3 months, they’ve so far only recorded drums?

Unless I’m missing something here, no wonder Kaoru was disappointed at progression moving slowly.

Papa Kaoru gotta get him one of those side bands going

Most bands tracks drums this way, and it doesnt necessarly mean it will sounds more raw than usual.

Otherwise I hope they can follow what they did Oboro, sounds amazing to me.

1 Like

Yeah, I only use mics too even if I know I’m going to fly in some samples. I’m just so used to seeing triggers on Shinya’s kit I’m hoping against hope. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some studio shots where he had modules on some of the shells, and I’ve seen plenty of live footage where they don’t even put mics on the toms, just trigger modules.

I love the TONE of Oboro’s drums a lot, but the lack of dynamics in between the hits kinda drives me up the wall. Especially the snare - There’s a fill at around 1:34 that’s a perfect example, where Shinya hits the snare twice, there’s a short rest, and then two more very quick hits on the snare. On the shorter burst of two, it’s almost the exact same sample that plays back, whereas in reality one of those hits would naturally be softer. It stops sounding like a drummer to me :confused:

And it’s not even like I’m against drum samples. I use them all the time, I’ve got them blended with the live kit all over an album I’m mixing right now for my band. I just want the engineers to spend the time (and the band to spend the money) to make those samples sound a little more dynamic and less robotic.

2 Likes

Toshiya’s post on Insta from 4 days ago.
So yeah. I guess, others are still working on stuff. Or others just didn’t announce that they’re done.

1 Like

I don’t know too much about recording music, but I was under the impression bass is one of the first instruments to finish up. This is good news!

1 Like

Iiiit depends. Usually yes, and I think most bands prefer to have the foundation of the rhythm section done before anything else is recorded on top. In one of my bands, we actually record bass near the end, just before vocals, because the bass parts are usually written to interact with the guitars in a very specific way. So it makes sense to wait until the guitars are recorded and edited before coming in to do the bass.

2 Likes

The drum samples on the Unraveling EP were super aggressive to me. The opening fill for Kasumi is a dead giveaway.

3 Likes

Oh GOD yeah. I’m certain it’s the drum sound on The Unraveling that made it impossible for me to appreciate the remakes until hearing live versions where even if there are drum triggers, the overall sound is a little more open and less claustrophobic.

Yeah i was going to say, on most stuff ive ever recorded the bass comes pretty much last before vocals. But guess in a lot of vkei the bass is the “main” instrument so in that case perhaps it makes more sense to do it earlier. Just depends on the band i guess. I like to use the bass to add extra oomph really so experimenting with rhythms and notes that deviate from the guitar parts by jamming along with what’s recorded is pretty helpful.

1 Like

I know what you are talking about. It’s funny and interesting how we tend to focus and this kind of thing as a musician or sound engineer. Maybe sometimes we tend to forget the full picture of a song. For example, I don’t think the average listener would focus on the sound of the snare alone

1 Like

Metallica’s St. Anger would like a word with you.

6 Likes

I ABSOLUTELY lose sight of the full picture ALLLL the time. It’s really frustrating not being able to turn off “producer brain.” Whereas the average listener, while they certainly know what they do and don’t like, as you say they won’t hyperfocus in on just the snare or just the bass, as well as not necessarily knowing the right language to explain exactly what they’re hearing.

Well I think that’s a special case lmao

2 Likes

So is Kyo going to sing about torturing cows/bulls?

I’m here for the cuckold euphemisms.

1 Like

Presumably he’ll use the concept of the Brazen Bull torture device as an analogue for humanity’s predilection for cruelty and hubris.

Or they just thought it’d make a cool album name and the songs wont have anything to do with it at all.

So is The Freedom of Expression just a radio show that they film the video for for YouTube, or is it an off-shoot of the radio show?