DIR EN GREY

It’s becoming more and more of an ironic listen at this point. Took me 20 years, but finally got there!

I like Dir en grey

6 Likes

Funnily enough, Hydra has no trivia info at all :smiley:

I still remember that one day, while editing ARCHE songs, I noticed that the only song with a somewhat interesting trivia point was Kyuukoku no Kouon.
And by now, still only six out of 16 songs have any sort of trivia point at all, some of them not even really being noteworthy, like Revelation’s “The remix of this song was called “Revelation of mankind (Remixed by Yusuke Suga)” on the band’s Best Album Project website.”
At least PHALARIS had some songs to write about, like Kamui for example. But I miss stuff like Tsumi to Batsu, or egnirys~.

1 Like

I can live without listening to this band so I prefer to treat them as a meme instead

Discourse en Grey

3 Likes

Bold of you to say that in the dir en grey discussion thread

3 Likes

7 Likes

solved

Just a random question, does DeG have any memes? And what would those be? If there are many, what is the most famous one?

I have this saved from the old MH days but idk who made it lol

2 Likes

Hey, so I was going through some old Gothic Lolita Bibles and found a bunch of DEG collabs. Does anyone know anything about these? My assumption is that the band was sponsored by the clothing companies to wear merchandise in their music videos, but I’m not 100% sure. If this is true, DEG’s earlier videos are essentially disguised ads for clothes produced by a different brand - kind of interesting.

Here are some (not great, sorry) scans from the Internet Archive. Ain’t afraid to die is from Vol 2 p48 and the JESSICA and FILTH ones are from Vol 3 pp59-60.

Any clarification would be appreciated!

2 Likes

ID-Japan is a famous clothing brand that was (or still is) behind their outfits for PVs and lives. You can find them credited on many DEG releases.

GAUZE:
grafik

1 Like

ID-Japan

Yeah, I’ve heard of them before. They were also supposedly behind these one-of-a-kind custom Blythe dolls.

Do we know if the band commissions the clothing, or does ID-Japan sponsor the band to promote their merch?

modelling for kera used to be a quick and easy way for bandmen to make money modelling for so and so, particularly in goth/gothic lolita styles, which deg did before 2003-ish, and a lot of indie artists did in 2000s; nowadays everyone just drops their own apparel if they get big enough to do that.

kera itself went online-only a few years ago after approx 20 years, but they still drop VK news once in a while when the subject fits -

looks like they survived covid, but stopped updating altogether after a while.

probably the band commissions (-ed) them, the outfits don’t look ready to wear in any way.

2 Likes

@nekkichi This is awesome. Thanks for all your help! :heart:

1 Like

Is kyo’s “death clown” look supposed to be for this new single?

Hm, unlikely. He wore this for recent shows and I don’t think they would reveal looks so far in advance.

I think it was only for the My Bloody Vampire shows

I wait with bated breath to see whether the band will prove me wrong, but this is Kyo’s turn to give birth.

8 Likes

Inb4 he gives birth to his own mother.

3 Likes