Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama has passed away

Akira Toriyama, creator of hit anime/manga such as Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump, has passed away from acute subdural hematoma on 3/1. He was 68 years old.

May he rest in peace. What a legend.

https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/status/1765935471971213816

17 Likes

RIP legend!

8 Likes

Gotta be fucking kidding me… no senzu bean for this one :frowning:

7 Likes

R.I.P :cry:

Spent my very early childhood watching reruns of the original Dragon Ball, Z, and the Tagalog dub of GT that aired in 2003 (that I clearly didn’t understand, lmao.) The series has had the largest reach of any anime to date, and Akira Toriyama will be mourned and sorely missed by many around the globe.

7 Likes

Dragon Ball has shaped my life to where I am now and who I am as a person. Without Toriyama and his work, I wouldn’t have been so immersed into Japanese culture, especially anime and eventually Japanese music and visual kei. I also wouldn’t have had such a passion for art as well, and it’s all thanks to Toriyama. This feels surreal.

11 Likes

RIP

I’ve never been super stanning DBZ, but dragon quest brought me many hours of pure joy and it really is an end of an era. I wonder if he was working on the next installment already if his new projects are mentioned in the news.

dragon-quest-7

it’s sad to see those huge legacy creators going away, since I’ve fallen out of touch with anime and manga over past decade+, and no one really came in to bring back my interest and any excitement.

I’m going to miss the thrill of immersing into 80s/90s anime forever honestly.

6 Likes

I dont even know what to say

2 Likes

Woke up to these terribly sad news today. Can’t believe it’s true. 68 is not that old…

1 Like

This shit has actually got me sad. I grown up with Dragon Ball and so when I heard this news last night I almost cried. This dude was legendary, I hope he is feeling better wherever he is now.

1 Like

I wasn’t even into Dragon Ball or Dr. Slump but most manga artists were inspired by him or started drawing because of his work.The legacy in manga, media and Japanese culture this man leaves is inmense. One of the most influencial illustrators of the late XXth Century hands down.

While his manga work didn’t reach me much, I have my slimes all around my house. While Dragon Quest is not my favorite series, I honestly think it’s the best one when it comes to JRPG. Nothing comes close to it when it comes to quality, consistency, charm. And man that charm! Those characters and SPECIALLY the mosters are so enderaringly iconic I don’t even know how to explain it.

RIP.

1 Like

My childhood hero. Sad day.

1 Like