General Guitar Tuning Directory For Aspiring VK-inspired Musicians And Anyone Else Interested

Which part of Deity needs the B string? I can play I just fine in E standard.

Our Dir guys play in E standard as well when live (the only exception(s) being Ghoul 2013 and/or Uroboros 2010 where it looks like they play in the same key but with drop tunings). However, when you listen to the studio version and especially this part carefully:

(after that monk intro, obviously)
0:03-0:04 and onwards, the repeating ā€œdu-dun dunā€ part after they slide from A#5 to two ā€œstrongā€ E5s.

You can tell that live-wise those strong E5s sound less ā€œbeefed upā€ unlike how theyā€™d play the studio take on it. I think there is a loose, kind of audible low B-string being played at times, thus making it plausible one of them (Kaoru, maybe) is not playing E5 but E5/B instead. It used to be tabbed like that in the past though until fans that covered the song later decided to stay loyal to how theyā€™d do it live instead, without any loose B string magic.

You might also notice it when observing which guitars Kaoru and Die are using during their Mode of MACABRE performance here (pay attention to those E5s):

Even so, please do take what I said with a grain of salt, and Iā€™d hope that one of us happens to have a Macabre tab book that confirms/debunks this observation.

1 Like

From what Iā€™ve tried to attempt, aie generally plays in half-step down from standard. Iā€™m sure he also plays in standard too, just havenā€™t sussed out which is which yet. Iā€™ll probably start to work on a deadman guitar/bass inventory once I get my shit together (and better at music).

1 Like

Didnā€™t he do drop half-step down too (C#G#C#F#A#D#) at some point too?

I happen to have found the next best thing.

I found this from an eBay listing that has the first pages of most songs pictured.

2 Likes

I never noticed this post before!

The band scores arenā€™t 100% accurate btw - look at withering to death (the final :man_facepalming:) for eg. I think unless theyā€™re supervised by the members, they tend to just be transcribed at a basic level.

That being said the tunings always seemed right.

The kagrra ones felt pretty accurate ā€˜cause they were supervised and accounted for all parts in their songs - Akiya played a 7 string infrequently for Shizuku (Hakai) and the b side to Utakata (Ano Saka wo Noboreba) - I think itā€™s standard B tuning.

2 Likes

Thank you @zeus and @RED99 for your solid points (and also for a band score snippet)!

Perhaps I should stop reading things from Ameblo blogs without proper sources as well, not to mention that itā€™d be too good to be true if Dir introduced 7 string guitars much earlier than around the times of Kisou and Vulgar (Obscure).

I will also correct my earlier post regarding VANITAS and point out that they used acoustic drop D guitars for background effects (not BEADGBE) though it is all the same knowing their ADADGBE tuning.

3 Likes

Actually, donā€™t count it out just yet, I watched this video a while back

And around 4:15 when Deity starts playing, thereā€™s footage of Kaoru using a 7 string, but Iā€™m not sure if the live footage matches the song being played. Judging from Kyoā€™s outfit, that puts this footage around Not Afraid to Dieā€™s release?

1 Like

Youā€™re spot on - that snippet is apparently from their 00-01 Macabre tour. Kaoru just up and decided to use a 7 string but I wonder if itā€™s for another song??

You can use audacity to split Kaoru and Dies channels and then mute Dies channel (right hand side). I tried to play it unplugged on standard tuning and I felt the record sounds like a standard tuning (might try it whilst on the DAW); both channels have unique tones to them; kaorus is muddier, so when you marry them together in stereo, it sounds hella confusing.

(Not sure if Iā€™m allowed to post samples on here from the record so I wont unless allowed).

This recent recording from mode of macabre sounds like standard too - maybe Iā€™m wrong but I was able to isolate Kaorus channel and sort of play the same thing back on standard tuning. (It also sounds like they were deviating from whatā€™s played on the record)

https://youtu.be/rX_JvhzlKw4?si=3sLNmg789d6DKP0k

2 Likes

You got to do you, friend. Sometimes these blogs/youtube channels get things right more often than the ā€œofficialā€ releases. Rereading the Kagrra score for Core and after playing it, I noticed a guitar part that was omitted for one song + what I think is an error in another.

One song that really threw me off was Luna Seaā€™s Feel. I thought Sugizo was on Drop C or something but then I discovered he was using a 7 stringā€¦ and naturally thats why I couldnā€™t emulate the same damn sound. Took me a long time too :sweat_smile:

There was a magazine release with Kaoru and Die in it - they tabbed some songs for the magazine and it really shows you how bad the official score is :joy:

2 Likes

I was also going to suggest you can use this - it turns songs into instrumentals (by isolating the middle channel yet somehow keeping the bass and drums intact). It looks like Diruā€™s catalogue can be listened as instrumentals on Apple Music; I know it doesnā€™t work for all bandsā€™ catalogues but might be an exception for them. Even works for Jealous and their remixes.

1 Like