how do you say 対バン / taiban in english?

is there even a way??

i want to tell people “check out my band, we’re doing a thing that’s part of a thing - it’s not the whole thing but it’s all bands all the time” but “festival” seems a lot larger scale than what we do

just “event”.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d go with “event” too, or maybe “multiple-band event” (now that I think about it, it’s funny cuz in a Western / non-vk context I’d just say “a gig” cuz the more common practice is that multiple bands play on one night, as opposed to all these very specific distinctions like oneman, twoman, sponsored live, taiban etc).

3 Likes

that’s fair!! it kinda feels like there should be something more specific but if there is, i haven’t found it :upside_down_face:

ohhhh shit “gig” kinda has this less formal, more “part of a whole” connotation to it doesn’t it?

good advice tyvm

1 Like

gig = live, concert, performance.

however, you can translate taiban, just as taiban in English. but if you need to explain it to non-Japanese listeners just go for "event.

Taiban also stands for a Japan only venue system;
However it’s a weird outdated and complex system. (which is a reason why bands disband but also why live venues disappear)

oh yeah for sure, in conversation there’s always a way to get across the idea w/ enough words - i’m just amused how much i really don’t have the right experience / terminology for the scene i’m actually in

like i mentioned to someone we should try to put together an omnibus CD & was surprised to find that’s not really a thing here?? so i switched to ‘mixtape’ lolol but there’s still some meaning lost isn’t there

I think in English it’s probably more common to just say “We’re doing a show with _” or “we’re playing a show with some other bands”.

3 Likes

As for “omnibus CD” the proper Western term can be either “V.A. (Various Artists) CD” or “compilation album” if there are a lot of bands featured. In case it’s a release showcasing a smaller number of bands, like 2-4 in total then it’s a “split” (split album, split single, split EP etc. depending on the length).

1 Like

y’all are amazing, thank you!!

i know this probably seems like a dumb question lolol but i v much appreciate the help~

This! like example “いつか対バン出来たら嬉しい!itsuka taiban dekitara ureshii!” is a common phrase amongst band guys to eachother, in english it would be “if we can play together (at same event) someday that’d be great!” would be the translation nuance wise.

another example would be “insert band name hereと対バンした事ある/insert band name hereto taiban shita koto aru” in english “I once did a gig with insert band name here” so Violet Chain was the only one who really got it right ^v^

2 Likes

actually you say it mean “event”.

So I was correct too.

only violet explained it a bit more.

everyone is correct In this topic, nobody wrong.

it doesn’t mean event ^v^, event would simply be イベント、and I did not say it means an event.
イベントやる: will do an event
対バンやる: perform with someone(in an event or 2man etc.), but the event part is implied as common sense because if you are doing an event there are other bands so it could not even be an event as termed here but a 2man etc.
for example if I just said during an MC:8月22日。。。対バンやります!
everyone would be like:huh?? wtf? ok?? so who are you playing with?

Being confident in a foreign language is important ^v^ but always be humble enough to learn from mistakes too, nuance is hard >.<

たまにSTARWAVEのバンドと対バンする
tama ni STARWAVE no bando to taiban suru
sometimes we perform together(taiban) with STARWAVE bands
(doing an event together is implied by the word taiban, but it does not directly mean the word event)
たまにSTARWAVEのバンドと同じイベントにでる
tama ni STARWAVE no bando to onaji ibento ni deru
sometimes we are in the same event as STARWAVE bands (Implying that you taiban with them)

3 Likes

omg i would literally pay money to listen to a podcast that’s explaining language things like this

1 Like

I still do disagree with that.
I really do see it used mixed in various music genres. And you know that my friends aren’t only in the vkei world.

Also just to translate it into english most easy and understandable for people would be event.
Otherwise you end up with writing up an endless note, nobody will read anyway.

it’s easy.
if you want to translate it for people who know 0 of the world just translate it as event.
if there are enough people who would understand it just go for taiban.

but well after all most Japanese bandman don’t really care anyway. at least not those who I asked.

imho there’s use to both a ‘rough’ translation that’s easy to effortlessly read w/o thinking, & a ‘detailed’ translation that’s more accurate but can be awkward to read and may need notes to help!

i think this is a pretty specific context (i was curious about the exact use & behaviour of industry-specific(?) terminology) so here i think the more detailed vers is more appreciated, at least personally!

i’m curious what you heard from who you asked tho~

1 Like

Me?

I do hear it from ojisan bands like THE MINKS, MMS R&R ENGINEERING, THE VACKS, TRANS☆DOLL LOOSE RIDER, Rama Amoeba etc.
They also still play taibans a lot, but 99% of the time they call it event and not taiban.
Maybe that’s an age thing or genre thing.

but taiban also exist in non-vkei.

btw. Ghostpepper is a vkei bandman :stuck_out_tongue: in case you didn’t notice that.

2 Likes

なんでしょうね…
個人企画のイベントには“参加”とか“参戦”とかって使いがちかもですね。
店企画だと“対バン”って使うことが多いのかもしれませんね。

“イベントに参加”や“イベントに参戦”って、自分達のことを謙遜してイベント主を優先させるとか上げるという日本人特有の“対人関係の距離の取り方”って感じです♪

どちらも尊敬は含まれると思いますが、参加や参戦の方がそれは強い気がします。

a reply from transdoll vocalist.
so maybe in the end its still just “event” in english, but you could add a longer note why its called a taiban. but people who don’t care about live activity wont understand much anyway so…
its up to the translator how to translate it

1 Like

:sweat_smile: whoever replied to you literally explained the same thing I did to you?Participation<-参加/参戦<-taiban
As I stated before “to perform with”
Not the actual event, that is already implied, taiban does not mean the event itself😅
You know our bassists is from early 90s era, I hangout with 80s rockers,punks/pschobilly, make music for idols, and have been speaking Japanese everyday for about 8 years so :sweat_smile::sweat_drops:
I know there is a big difference from translation to actually thinking in a language so once again reread your friend’s words :pray:
"イベントに参加”や“イベントに参戦”って
Key part to understand “ibento ni<-”
Is not him saying it means event.
Participation<-参加/参戦<-taiban.
In translation mode you are searching to only support what thought was right maybe?
対バン=performing with a band, regardless of genre, or whatever kind of event it is, it is not a specific event or means event like you said, can be used when talking about >performing with< at any event with at least one other band/performer.
イベント: usually four or more bands.
Any less goes into 3 man, 2 man.
和製英語と思えばいい、think of イベント as english gaining a specific Japanese meaning added on.

You also said:
Taiban also stands for a Japan only venue system;
However it’s a weird outdated and complex system. (which is a reason why bands disband but also why live venues disappear.
<<<>>>
Thats not right either​:sweat_smile::sweat_drops:
Lets not get into livejournal/geocities era misinformation as fact for vk/jrock.
Noruma and booking system has nothing to do with the usage of the word Taiban.

Example: we were invited by AREA to play for free last month, no noruma, out of respect. To one artists there I said:
“あぁ久しぶりに対バン出来た嬉しい!”
“Aa hisashiburi ni taiban dekita ureshii”
“Ah, im happy we can “perform together” again after a long time!”
The noruma, booking system, of it was event, 3man, 2man has no weight on the word-> performing together,participating together.
Stating noruma is why businesses is failing is a doozie too but for the OP
and anyone else trust me haha, 白人だから言う事聞けんかもだけど一応先輩だぞ?! :joy::pray: 日本でプロ活動やると"対バンの意味"って、あたり前田のクラッカーだよ👯‍♀
I may be a white boy over here but if you do pro activities here knowing the nuance of a simple word like taiban is a piece of cake​:pray: all said with love! :heart:

2 Likes

Ah i have a podcast thingie i do sometimes, check out my youtube: kairuofficial

1 Like