Interview with SHADECARRIER

Shadecarrier is a new Band on the horizon of the Japanese Deathcore Scene. With Bandmembers already known from other bands, like Elysium, Mirrors, Victim of Deception and Fill the Void, we got to talk with them about Shadecarriers concept, future plans and more.

日本のデスコアシーンの新鋭、Shadecarrier。
Elysium, Mirrors, Victim of Deception, Fill The Voidのメンバーとしても知られる彼らと、バンドのコンセプト、Shadecarrierとしての今後の活動などについて語った。

Shadecarrier are Rio, Raf, Junpei, Koki (members from left to right)

• You guys are a pretty new band and just released an EP called “Humanbeing”. That’s quite amazing, congrats on that. :clap:
    Would you please introduce the band to the readers and new fans.
    (読者と潜在的なファン達に対して何か自己紹介をお願いします)

We are Shadecarrier, a 4 piece Japanese Deathcore band with influences from Nu-Metal and cyberpunk hailing from Tokyo, Japan.

(こんにちは、"Shadecarrier"です。
僕達はサイバーパンク、ニューメタルなどの影響下にある東京発の4ピースデスコアバンドです。)

• How and when did the band form?
    (バンドが結成されたのはいつですか?また結成されたいきさつを教えてください。)

Junpei: Back in 2021, I posted a demo on Twitter and started recruiting for a new project.
And these are the members that gathered.

(2021年に新しいバンドをやろうと思ってツイッターに曲のデモを投稿してメンバーを募ったら今のメンバーに落ち着きましたね。)

• Can you tell us something about the band name? Does it have any special meaning?
    (バンド名について教えてください。何か特別な意味が込められているのですか?)

Raf: At first, we were looking for a band name that pops out first when someone googles it.
We made up a couple of band names and “Shade Carrier” was the best among them.
That being said, there wasn’t any deep meaning to it but after a while, I realized that the name suits our music well.
“Shade” represents the darker side of humanity, and “carrier” is used as a disease vector in a medical term.
So basically, It means that the band’s gonna spread how humans are filthy through music.

(検索で被らずに直ぐヒットするようなバンド名を考えていて、候補はいくつかあったんですが、“Shade Carrier” が1番語感が良くて採用しました。
なので特に深い意味はなかったんですが、後々バンドの音楽性に結構合ってるんじゃないかって気づいたんですよね。
"Shade"は人類の負の面を指し、"Carrier"は医学用語で保菌者、菌を媒介する者という意味を持ちます。
つまり、音楽を通して人類の穢れを世界に拡散していくと言う意味をこのバンド名は持っています。)

• Who composes the songs and writes the lyrics? What is your creative process?
    (作詞と作曲をしているメンバーは誰ですか?また、作曲プロセスを教えてください。)

Junpei: I compose and Raf writes the lyrics.
More specifically, I made a full instrumental demo first, then Koki re-arranges the drum parts, Rio spices it up with some cool effects, and Raf adds the vocals.
Also, Rio does all the Mixing and Mastering.

(僕が作曲し、Rafが作詞をします。
具体的な作曲フローはまず、僕がvo以外の前パートが一通りアレンジされているデモを作成し、Kokiがドラムパートをアレンジ、RioがSFXで曲を彩り、最後にRafのボーカルが入る流れですね。
ミックスマスタリングはRioが担当しています。)

• Where do you take inspiration from, for songs and for lyrics?
    (作曲や作詞をする際、何からインスピレーションを得ますか?)

Junpei: Musically, the word “Cyber Punk” comes to my mind first as my main inspiration.
That could be near future-themed video games, movies, and even in some real-life moments.

(音楽的には正に"サイバーパンク"ですね。それは近未来をテーマにしたゲームや映画、実生活で感じる事だったりもします。)

Raf: Social issues, Movies, Incidents, and every disgusting thing happening in the real world, caused by humanity.
Basically, my lyrical contents are narrowed down to issues that are happening (or it’s predictable to happen) in real life, because I hate singing about fantasies like dragons and swords.

(社会問題、映画、事件、世界中で人の手によって起こされる胸糞悪い事全てがテーマになり得ますね。歌詞のテーマは基本的に現実で起こっている事もしくは起こると予想される事に絞ってます。突飛なファンタジーについて歌う事は苦手なので。)

• You call the music you play “dystopian heavy metal”, how did the concept come to be and what does it mean to you?
    (あなた方は自身の音楽を "dystopian heavy metal"と称していますが、どのようにこの世界観に落ち着いたのですか?
    また、あなた方にとって何を意味するのか教えてください。)

Junpei: From our point of view as Tokyo citizens, I’m feeling that we are living in some kind of Dystopia.
It looks peaceful and beautiful from the outside, but from our perspective, it’s not necessarily so, and we are here creating some heavy music.
That’s why we call our music “Dystopian heavy metal”.

(東京にそういう面があると思っていて、
外側からは平和で綺麗にみえるが、そこに暮らす僕たちの視点からだと必ずしもそうではない
そういう場所でメタルをやるという事から。)

• What do you guys listen to in private? Do you take any inspiration from it, for your own work?
    (普段どのような音楽を聴きますか?そして、そこからインスピレーションを得て自身の作品に反映させることはありますか?)

Junpei: Mainly, Deathcore, Nu Metal, Hip Hop, Trap, and electronic music.
For instance, I took inspiration from 808 bass which is commonly used in Trap beats and applied it to my songs as the use of extremely low tuning in guitar. Also, the groove that Trap music gives has deeply influenced our songs.

(基本的にデスコア、ニューメタル、ヒップホップ、トラップ、エレクトロミュージックですね。例えば、トラップでよく使われる808のベースやグルーヴ感はギターのチューニングや楽曲のノリに反映させています。)

Raf: My vocal lines and some of the lyrics are obviously influenced by Hip hop.

(僕の作るボーカルラインや歌詞の一部は結構わかりやすくヒップホップからの影響を受けています。)

Junpei: Our official playlists are available on Shadecarrier’s artist pages. Check them out on Spotify and Apple Music, if you wanna know about our tastes more deeply!

(各メンバーが作成したプレイリストがShadecarrierのアーティストページからチェック出来ます!我々の持つテイストを更に深掘りしたい方は是非チェックして下さい。)

Junpei’s Roots on Spotify
Rio’s Roots on Spotify
Koki’s Roots on Spotify
Raf’s Roots on Spotify

Junpei’s Roots on Apple Music
Rio’s Roots on Apple Music
Koki’s Roots on Apple Music
Raf’s Roots on Apple Music

• Some of you are active in other bands as well, can you tell us something short about them? Is it hard managing your activity between multiple projects? Is there any knowledge that flows in from those bands?
    (あなた方の中には他のバンドで積極的に活動されているメンバーもいるようですが、そのバンドの事を簡単に教えてください。複数のバンドで活動する事は大変なことですが?また、そのような活動をする上で生まれる相互作用などはありますか?)

Koki: I also play drums in VICTIMOFDECEPTION, which is a Deathcore band formed in 2014.

(2014年に結成されたVICTIMOFDECEPTIONというデスコアバンドでもドラムを担当しています。)

Rio: I’m the Guitarist and composer in Fill The Void.

(Fill the Voidのギタリスト、コンポーザーを務めています。)

Rio: Fill the Void and Shadecarrier have similarities like down tuned guitars and brutal soundscapes, but each one has a completely different approach to it.
In Fill the Void I can complete almost all tasks alone in terms of writing a song, but Shadecarrier is more of; multiple guys gathering and working together to achieve the same goal.
That makes me input some fresh ideas from another perspective, which makes a positive effect on my composition process.

(Fill the Void と Shadecarrier は、ダウンチューニングされたギターや暴虐的な音楽性などの類似点がありますが、それぞれのアプローチはまったく異なっています。
Fill the Void では、作曲においてほとんどすべてのタスクを 1 人で遂行可能ですが、Shadecarrier では必然的にみんなで協力して作品を作り上げる。
そうすることで、自分にはない別の視点から新鮮なアイデアを取り入れることができ、自分の作曲プロセスに良い影響を与えられますね。)

• Raf, you participated in the vocal auditions for Crystal Lake and was one of the finalists. Did you learn something from that experience that you will apply to this project?
    Raf、あなたはCLの新ボーカルオーデションでファイナリストまで残りました。その経験からこのプロジェクトに活かせるような学びはありましたか?)

Raf: What I learned from that journey is that you can be no one but yourself, and you can only feel comfortable when you’re creating and performing the music that comes from your true nature.

(オーディションを経て学んだことは結局、自分自身以外の誰にもなれないって事です。自分の性に合っている音楽を作り、プレイする事が一番という事。)

• How did you all end up inside bands? Are you still having the same positions you started out in?
    (バンドシーンで活動し始めてから今まで、メンバーそれぞれのシーンでの立ち位置に何か変化はありましたか?)

Rio: As I mentioned, I was doing everything in Fill the Void, but we are sharing the load here.

(Fill The Voidでは基本的に自分一人で色々やっていましたが、今はみんなで役割を分担している事ですかね。)

Koki: I’ve become more of a senior in the scene now. Playing Deathcore for almost 10 years feels like I’m in the position to hook up a talented freshman.

(シーンにおいて後輩から先輩になったなと。10年デスコア を貫いてきて、今は才能のある若手をフックアップする立場にいると感じています。)

Junpei: Back in the early days, I used to play with people my age or older but I started to think that it’s better to work with someone from the new generation that will create the future scene than stick with the people my age. That’s why I’m working with Raf.

(昔は同年代か年上と音楽やる事が多かったですが、同年代で固まるよりこれからシーンを担っていく若い世代と音楽をやる方が良いと考え始めました。Rafと音楽をやる事にしたのもそれが理由です。)

Raf: I’m pretty new in the scene. That being said, these few years literally changed everything surrounding me.
I’m working with my idols right now. I consider myself very lucky.

(まだシーンに飛び込んで長くないので、この数年は自分の周りの全てが目まぐるしく変わっている実感があります。今、自分がバンドをやる前から憧れてて聴いていたバンドの人たちと一緒に音楽をやってる。それはとても幸運な事だと思ってます。)

• What are everybody’s thoughts on the current Deathcore scene in Japan?
    (現在の日本のデスコアシーンについて何か意見や感想はありますか?)

There were times when bands classified as Deathcore decreased and the genre went down, but I’m feeling that Deathcore is getting hotter right now in Japan with some newcomers. Also, a lot of bands are trying to introduce their music overseas.

(デスコアバンドが減少傾向にあり、ジャンルが下火になっていた時期もありました。でも今、日本でも強力な新手のバンドが参戦してきてデスコアが盛り返してきている感覚です。海外へ盛んにアプローチしているバンドも多い印象。)

• Are there any Bands you would love to perform with one day?
    (将来共演してみたいバンドは?)

Rio: Humanity’s Last Breath, Black Tongue
Koki: Chelsea Grin
Junpei: Beyond Cure
Raf: Shaka Bose(釈迦坊主). A Japanese rapper.

• Is there anybody you’re grateful for helping out with your band activities?
    (あなた方が感謝を伝えたくなるような、バンド活動を手伝ってくれている人物はいますか?)

Huge shout out to Jordan who wrote our biography on Spotify, Taiju who made the video for “Humanbeing”, and every one of you jamming our music.

(Spotifyで英語のバイオグラフィーを書いてくれたJordan、"Humanbeing"のリリックビデオを作ってくれたTaiju君、そして僕らの音楽を聴いてくれているみんなです。)

• Accounting that the Interview is in English. Who is the best English speaker of the members?
    英語でインタビューをさせて頂いていますが、メンバーで1番英語が流暢なメンバーは誰ですか?

Junpei: Raf.

• What are your future plans for Shadecarrier? Do you have any plans for upcoming lives?
    shadecarrierの今後について教えてください。例えば近々ライブをする予定などございますか?

Junpei: We’re gonna release more music. We have no plans for playing shows currently.

(コンスタントに音楽をリリースしていくつもりです。ライブの予定は今のところ無し。)

• Please leave a message to the readers and your fans.
    あなたのファンや、このインタビューを読んでいる人たちに何かメッセージを残してください。

Junpei: Thanks for listening! There’s more to come, please keep an eye on us. We won’t let you down!

(曲を聴いてくれてありがとう!もっと強力な曲達を用意しています。後悔させないのでこれからもチェックよろしくお願いします!)

Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity for this interview. We are looking forward to further releases and activities of Shadecarrier. :pray:

Check Shadecarrier out on
Instagram - shadecarrier
Twitter - @ShadecarrierJP
YouTube - shadecarrier
Spotify - Shadecarrier
Apple Music - Shadecarrier

Follow the members
Raf - on Twitter - on Instagram
Rio - on Twitter - on Instagram
Junpei - on Twitter - on Instagram
Koki- on Twitter - on Instagram

Interview: @Rena
English Proofreading: @JohnN
Japanese Translation: Raf (Shadecarrier)

5 Likes