JILUKA - VENφM

Good point. I was thinking about that, maybe they just wanted the publicity via reaction videos, and they won’t switch style permanently.

Yes! Totally agree. And it’s such a shame, because they have been making music in a style I love and greatly miss.

1 Like

going to see lorna shore is so sick !! have fun :33

i havent seen footage from any live in japan- but do you mean the one in atlanta ?? cuz from what ive seen the crowd was loving it- if not i have no idea why they werent moshing cuz that breakdown hits HARDD
ive seen a lot of people compare it to lorna shore which in a way makes sense but at the same time i still loved it cuz theyre just experimenting with their sound

maybe cuz its new there isnt a furisuke ?? im not fully sure how long they take to come up with- it might even be on the spot idk but yeah maybe people just hadnt heard it properly / didnt know what dance to do thats all i can think of :frowning:

sorry this is such a long reply LMAO i get carried away

Fast forward to 55 seconds in the video Boogie shared on X:

https://x.com/boogie_jiluka/status/1720680052898279697?s=46&t=5QD_rYXyoAUSHrnKb6oPSg

The crowd is dead compared to what I’m used to.

Lorna Shore recently became more popular and I’m happy for their success, but I’ve been their fan since Bone Kingdom and I have seen them live a lot of times, including when they weren’t yet popular, they always slap hard.
Thankfully when they come to the UK they always have multiple venues and performances, last year I’ve seen them 3 times, it’s still possible to get tickets at reasonable prices despite how popular they are, and it’s a great night out :metal:

3 Likes

shit yeah theyre all just stood still … apart from that one guy in the pit LMAO shout out to them
they all started headbanging after the breakdown which is weird ?? like why not during ???

2 Likes

Yes. They are dead. I think it almost looks like they have just been prompted by Ricko and the band head banging, that’s when they did it :thinking:

Now in comparison, I didn’t film the crowd but it’s a little bit visible on the bottom, have a look at Lorna Shore last summer (it was very hot btw., and even that didn’t stop people :laughing:) see the vibe / difference, just uploaded a short clip to Vimeo:

Oh and it’s not even during a breakdown. I’m no snowflake but even I have to stand back away from the pit at times :laughing:

Hence I said I don’t think the current audience of Jiluka is as receptive to this style as Jiluka might hope.

1 Like

its kinda sad honestly cuz theyre just making music they like and fans arent … a fan :<

buttt it could be good cuz it means theyll get more fans that ARE into that style and fans like me that like both their old + new ones :3

1 Like

Yes. Tbh I’m all for bands experimenting and finding their best style they are most comfortable with.
But I really like the the older releases by Jiluka and I hope they won’t completely change it.
And I wonder if their Japanese audience thinks somewhat the same way, judged by the live footage in Japan.
We will see I guess.

1 Like

because Jiluka are still a Visual Kei band, so the audience will react different during a show

a bangya audience is different from a metalhead audience, also sometimes it has just to do with the fact that the audience is japanese

5 Likes

Oh you’re right Rena, I completely discounted the more reserved nature of Japanese audiences. That can be actually a factor indeed.
I’ll go and have a look at some footage when they performed their earlier style releases and compare. That might be part of the answer :thinking:

2 Likes

What i saw in that video was synchronized headbanging, and the way, the style of headbanging is classic for bangya’s (japanese visual kei fans basically)

I’ve also heard it from a friend who attended their concerts, that the majority of fans is female, and a huge bunch of fans seem to be there to simp for the guys instead of liking the music.
All of that has an effect, but all over its probably more that they want to be respectful during the breakdown.

Bangyas usually follow the furitsuke, so basically a fixed choreography for the fans, and Jiluka of course have that as a VK band.

You might find a wilder audience, if they performed with a bunch of nonVK bands, because those audiences are more similar to what you can find at lorna shore for example
(they still keep a certain respect for certain parts inside songs thou XD)

3 Likes

You people overseas fail to realize how much JILUKA blew up in Japan after the release of BLVCK and how much Venom is blowing up right now in the metal scene.

I go to all JILUKA lives + non vkei lives in the metal scene and both audiences are pretty similar save for the furitsuke (which is made on the spot when a song is debuted).

Yes, most of the audience is female. But the traditional bangya portion is slowly quitting in favor of more VK bands and a lot of the new fans are just metalheads. There’s few bangya left from the pre-pandemic days. The new music is EXTREMELY well received here and while it does get a little wilder during metal events, it will never be what you people see in Lorna shore because on one hand people are afraid to stand out and be the one to start something and also because here metalheads go to enjoy music and not beat each other to a pulp like apes.

If what makes or breaks a band for you is how hard 3 dudes are windmilling in the pit I have sour news for you, and please do not come of you’ll be throwing punches. You might find yourself banned.

Edit: Might I add that I was at DDJ 3 days ago and Dexcore and Deviloof’s crowds were also quite tame for your standard, even if they have a reputation for being rowdier here.

6 Likes

Thanks for the insight.
I too go for listening to the music when I go to gigs, but the pit is a thing and it’s there for those who are so inclined, I don’t see anything wrong with it.
No, people don’t beat each other up, generally speaking. Yes, there are occasional bad actors, but it’s not exclusive to these gigs imo.
Jiluka is now making music that’s more deathcore style. If you say that it’s well received by their local audience, I’m sure you’re right.
As a die hard metalcore fan myself, I don’t find the new style bad. But there are enough good bands for the style imo, and I’ll miss their old style, which was relatively rare and special (from my point of view).
That was my initial point. And then I just compared the atmosphere of gigs with the type of music they play now with other gigs I’ve seen here with similar style of music.
P.S. what does being a woman have to do with head banging :thinking:? I’m a woman and it never stopped me :thinking::laughing:

2 Likes

Sena has entered the chat. :laughing:

2 Likes

Metalhead who’s unfamilliar with VK will probably assume that he’s one of those “Queer Representation” (not a bad thing tbh,)

2 Likes

PMSL :rofl:

Could be, could not. A handful of bandmen are bisexual. Some look queer. Some don’t. Unless they state we’d never know.

Tbh I don’t know why everyone is so hung up on JILUKA’s genre and fitting them into a box. Same with Jbands in general. That is what makes the western metal scene kinda dull and stale imo. All albums end up sounding the same, for the sake of genre coherence maybe? Not everything has to fit a genre and bands can make their own genres.

My bad for assuming your gender. Most women (not all, but I dare say most) would avoid the harsh western style pits where bigger guys enter simply because they have a higher chance of getting hurt and not enjoying anymore. As you can see in the videos, they all headbang so I’m confused about what you mean.

2 Likes

How come they are getting so many views for the pv? Did I miss something? Mucc who put out much better music recently only get a fraction of these views.

Really boring generic ass song

1 Like

Sorry if my comment was confusing. I meant that just because the audience of Jiluka is mostly women (as you said), it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have been more active during the breakdown in the video Boogie posted. That was my point regarding head banging vs. women.

I don’t want to box in bands strictly by style as such, I just pointed out that they have strongly moved into a direction that’s more like deathcore (even if they call it EGM), unlike many of their older releases, and that I’d be sad to see them fully parting with the older style.
If they get a lot of praise and success with the EGM style (as you say they do and how “they blew up”), chances are that most of their new releases will be the same style. And it would be a shame imo, given how good their older releases are, and how many good deathcore bands nail that style better.

1 Like