lynch - ADORE (new recording)

niiice :sunglasses:

17 Likes

So they are rebooting their discography?

This is a nice surprise! If they’re going to be re-recording stuff again, I hope they update some of their live standbys with modern production like MIRRORS, pulse_, LIGHTNING and of course THE FATAL HOUR HAS COME.

2 Likes

Lot weaker than the original, it just doesnt hit right.

1 Like

Personally my favourite is the 10th anniversary re-rec.

3 Likes

If aside a potential new album in progress, they’ll re-release their 2000s albums, then I’m hyped

3 Likes

mmmh I never been crazy about this song but it’ s one of their good ones.

By the way, I much much prefer the original version from the single. More raw & less polished = more emotions.

1 Like

Re-recording one of their biggest bops which they have already re-recorded a few years ago and make it worse.
Welcome back, lnyhc.!

3 Likes

Just re-record all of Greedy Dead Souls, ffs.

4 Likes

The sound is amazing

1 Like

Sounds great. I remember the time when the original single was released in '08 and featured on of the best B-sides in vk history, “an illusion”. Would’ve been great if they also re-recorded that one.

3 Likes

So far I’m feeling ADORE (single ver.) > ADORE (re-rec) > ADORE (SHADOWS ver)

It was re-recorded for their 10th anniversary best album, in case you weren’t aware.

1 Like

While I prefer the rawness in the original, I like this. I think I like it better than the 10th anniversary re-recording too.

1 Like

Was expecting a bit more of a unique arrangement, but at least the new PV was cool to watch. I love this song. It was the one that got me into lynch., 12 or 13 years ago?

1 Like

Please no. I can already hear all the character from that album getting obliterated and shaped into their modern sterile sound.

I dunno about re-record persay, but I think their earlier King Record albums especially could use a good remastering job of some kind. “I Believe in me” - “Gallows” all had issues with the mixing to my ears. I think there are some good tracks from those albums held back by poor mixing.

1 Like

To stay on topic, I personally stan the SHADOWS version myself since it’s the first version I heard (and listened to the most). I like the single version too though since it sounds closer to their The Avoided Sun sound. This 2022 version sounds fine. Better than the anniversary version and closer to the original versions.

Anyone else kinda feel like their handling of re-recordings is…messy? Back in 2007 they re-recorded songs from their first album and EP and released it as a new album called “The Buried”. Then 6 years later they re-recorded “I’m sick b’cuz luv U” and released it on a live-only CD single. A year later they do a compilation best-of album where (I think) they only re-record songs from their Marginal Works days and included said live-single track on that album anyways.

Now they seem to be including a remake track on each of their singles, but so far 2/3 tracks have already been re-corded on that The Buried album. And they’ve locked another remake track, “A Gleam in Eye”, behind a live-only CD.

I dunno if they’re re-recording tracks to play them live more during tours, but as a semi-casual fan it seems random. Taking the 2022 “Adore” remake as an example, it don’t sound all that different from the 2014 remake. They could probably just play the same version live.

I BELIEVE IN ME and GALLOWS are among the remastered albums from their (absurdly expensive) box set, and I can confirm that the older albums in particular sound much improved - INFERIORITY COMPLEX remaining the weakest imo. I think they were all handled by Ryo Trackmaker (ex-Girugamesh). IBIM is my favourite of all their albums actually so it was nice to hear it sounding cleaner and crisper than the original release ten years earlier.

2 Likes

I agree that their approach to re-recordings has been all over the place. In regards to the 10th anniversary album, I personally think several of those retakes surpass the originals, but it was disappointing to see live versions tacked on that really deserved retakes too (pulse_, a grateful shit, discord number). Also, while a majority of the SHADOWS album has now been re-recorded, I still can’t believe they haven’t remade the title track and namesake of their fanclub, SHADOWZ, which is an old-school banger!

While some of the more recent retakes don’t really seem justified, A GLEAM IN EYE sounds amazing in my opinion. It’s also changed considerably since the original single release, so it’s nice to see them reflect that in the arrangement. I kind of wish they’d record it with the extended outro the way they always play it live when it comes at the end of a setlist though. Similarly MIRRORS deserves a retake with the longer drum intro from their live shows.

2 Likes

@Shmilly I need to re-listen to those remastered tracks. I remember still feeling disappointed on my initial listen thinking they lacked some punch. Had no idea Ryo of Girugamesh fame (might’ve) handled those tracks!

The inclusion of live versions instead of full remaster/re-record was a weird decision. It’s only 3 tracks too so, like, why draw the line there? That’s a good point. Seems like it’d be one of the first tracks they would rework. Maybe they’re saving it for a special occasion.

I haven’t listened to it yet, but my interested is piqued now. I sorta don’t like their modern renditions of pre-Shadows tracks because, imo, they end up sounding too clean and tack on too much reverb effects on vocals. But IBIM and onwards, I feel like their sound jumped forward to a more “higher-production” sound so still sound consistent with their current sound. MIRRORS would for sure make a great candidate for a retake. It’s a great track that needs more love.