MUCC - Timeless

So are you guys happy with the album? Any short reviews?

it’s hard to have any deep feelings about an album full of songs I’ve already heard

2 Likes

The album is good, but I don’t see it as an coherent album, it’s more like a compilation/mixtape. I think the re-recordings were not that necessary, but they’re not bad either. I’d have prefered the album with the new tracks and the re-recordings as bonus/disc 2 AND in chronological order. With Shi no ubugoe at the beginning because it feels more like 2002 MUCC track and Ku on this compilation instead of Shinsekai bekkan:

死の産声
空 -ku-
想 -so-
耀 -yo-
サイレン
under the moonlight
Timeless

空 -ku- (JaQwa Remix)
路地裏 僕と君へ -Timeless Ver.-
ガーベラ -Timeless Ver.-
リブラ -Timeless Ver.-
G.G. -Timeless Ver.-

3 Likes

I also take issue with the album. I wished for a brand new album or EP with new songs as nice as Siren, 99, or Yo, but there was nothing 100% new instead except for Timeless that wasn’t up to par. A full length album with songs at the same level or close to the released during the tour would have been quite a display so the announcement itself was a dissapointment. When it comes to the release itself, it felt mind less to me me, like @Kumanosuke says and I can fully get behind his proposal for the tracklisting.

1 Like

I agree, I am also disappointed by this album even if there are some killer songs on it.

1 Like

I really really like the new libra, the other re recordings are good but not great, and I tried listening to the rest but can’t get the motivation for this band anymore.

EDIT: Been listening to the new 路地裏 僕と君へ too, it’s really good, sometimes this band makes some great re-recordings.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who thinks the new rerecording of Libra sounds really weird?

1 Like

Based on this thread so far, yes

This is the kind of album that will be better in hindsight once all the singles are no longer in fresh memory, or especially to someone listening to the album before the singles.

I think it’s a nice theme for a 25+ year old band to celebrate their discography by reinterpreting old songs and mixing them with new songs inspired by their older albums. Looking forwards and backwards at the same time.

And I can’t help but feel that Siren is an homage to their days as cali gari roadies.

1 Like

I think Miya said in an interview that it’s influenced by Måneskin

I can definitely hear that then.

1 Like

Somebody wake me up when musicians stop brickwalling their recordings. It’s especially apparent here with the rerecorded old songs. No dynamics, no texture. Just a flat wall of noise.

1 Like

I’m not sure you will ever wake up…!

1 Like

Cool! I could use the sleep lol.

I know nothing about mucc, so I don’t really know any of the songs they rerecored. So, I must say, I enjoyed this album. Really cool, makes me want to go to their discography and pick up my slack

3 Likes

Coming in fresh, any standout songs for you? Any dislikes? @foccius

Great to get an opinion from someone who hasn’t been following them for almost 20 years and listened to it with “fresh ears”, really appreciate that!

Well, you are going to have a hell of a job if you decide to catch up with the whole disco now :laughing:

2 Likes

I liked Siren, Gerbera, -so-, -yo-, Libra and Shi no Ubugoe

But i didn’t disliked really any songs, maybe under the moonlight

After a few listens, I feel the biggest issue is that it was sold as a new album and I think most of us following MUCC, have already listen to all the songs (except timeless) way before and there wasnt much else.
They could have made a couple of new songs for Tsuzetsu/Homura Uta/Antique/Aishū era to make the whole 25 y journey and even for TEOTW/Myakuhaku (though maybe there was nothing very distinctive from there).
As for the rerecordings, I still find a little off the piano arrangementes, like in G.G. and ku´s remix looks totally unnecessary.
Btw, anyone else feels under the moonlight is very Buck-Ticks?

3 Likes