NEET

I’m curious if anyone here is a NEET, it’s a term that comes from Japanese that stands for Not in Education, Employment, or Training, it’s also usually associated with Hikikomori or the Japanese word for a hermit, shut-in, etc. I was wondering if anyone here is a NEET? I’ve been both a Hikikomori and a NEET in my 31 years on this earth, a Hikikomori for around a decade and a NEET for almost the same time. I currently work under the table, but have grown tired of it after five years so I’ll quit next year, not sure if I’ll pick up something else or just enjoy not having anything to do with combat sports for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Am i a NEET as a stay at home mom? :joy::sweat_smile:

I am under the assumption the term is sexist and only refers to men, but either way a full time stay at home parent is a job that doesn’t pay.

NEET is also used for woman who live mostly on their parents money.

However I think you can call yourself a NEET if you usually don’t pay for your own food and rent and if you have not a fulltime job.
Lot’s of NEET’s still buy 1000 of things and are rich somehow. :rofl:

Oh also living on “government money” is also being called a NEET.

2 Likes

In Japan apparently neets do random services from being a friend for a day to being a child of an adult who needs one or someone to carry stuff around for you etc. Japan has cornered the rent a person a market.

I was a neet for 4 years, started working 2 months ago so I can get in crypto

1 Like

Currently NEETing I guess, just feeling kinda burnt out in general on everything. Hoping to take up a new job next year (tho I keep postponing it and procrastinating :’))).

1 Like

I could’ve seen myself becoming one if it was an option as long as it didn’t put too much of a burden on others, I feel like I have that type of personality but if I were to attempt that sort of life I’d just end up homeless, and having been homeless at one point (for a very short time luckily) I’d like to avoid that at all costs lol.

2 Likes

The definition of NEET varies by country. In Japan it just means anyone who is not a salaryman/woman, student, or intern/trainee (excluding housewives). This means that anyone who doesn’t receive a steady salary (such as most artists or workers paid for labor hours) or is part of an “underground” industry such as nightlife or sex work is technically considered NEET. That means all our bandomen fall in this category.

In other countries it means people who are not employed but may or may not be seeking employment. Unless you’re super rich, still living with your family, or are somehow living off of welfare alone, it’s really difficult to truly be NEET for any extended period of time…

Also, a hikikomori is someone who literally does not go out of the house, almost doesn’t even leave their room, and has no social interaction. They literally get taken care of by their parents because they won’t care for themselves. I’d be surprised if anyone outside of Japan would genuinely fall under this description because it’s a rather specific phenomenon.

2 Likes

Yep, after I graduated high school I didn’t go anywhere except to the doctor every six months or once a year for about six straight years so it’s not just a Japanese thing.

:raising_hand_man: I’ve been disabled since I was 19 and I’m 31 now.

But like, was that by CHOICE of because your movement was restricted by a disability? I don’t want to pry, but hikikomori is basically just a Japanese term for a phenomenon that is poorly understood within Japan but is tentatively linked with stress disorders, personality disorders, social disorders, and other mental disabilities that present differently due to the differences in Japanese culture and therefore don’t quite check the boxes of Western psychology.

What I’m saying is, it’s pretty complicated issue that boils down to more than just staying home a lot and being antisocial, but it’s not a cute little label like otaku or whatever. It’s a phenomenon that is being studied in academia as a medical issue, so it should be treated as such and not thrown around lightly.

1 Like

It’s a lot like the anime Welcome to the NHK. I have always been shy and when I became an adult it got to the point where I didn’t want to go out for a variety of reasons including social anxiety, being a half hour from the nearest town since I lived in the middle of a forest and I didn’t exactly have any friends willing to drive all the way to where I lived and I didn’t get a driver’s license until I was 27. These days I go places every day, but it’s Fight or Flight when someone tries to start a conversation or my SO stops to talk to someone she knows, I instantly have to just wander off until she’s done.