NIGHTMARE new album NOX:LUX release

beautiful look, really interesting song titles; not a fan of the album PV song, but I hope there’s enough exciting stuff in the final release, their singles were strong as hell, and Yomi’s singing sounds less strained.

I’m rooting for them again, honestly.

2 Likes

SAKITO :heartpulse:

Can’t believe this is the lead song for the album, too soft in the [RE] / Come back album approach IMO,
however, it sounds a bit like [anima] + [the WORLD Ruler] Vibe.

oh this is easily my fav track since they’ve come back
it’s also def an LSN song played by ナイトメア…

Nightmare was the first VK band i heard, and i liked them at the beginning, but now, I really have trouble with Yomi’s voice… :confused:

2 Likes

Well, ink was bad, cry for the moon much better, and I loved Sinners I enjoyed this lead track but forgettable.

I expect a decent album better than last ones thanks their hiatus, I hope more creativity on non singles track cause it’s clearly what they lost before the pause. Wait and see, I still believe.

I listen to them from time to time, I can’t forget Lost in blue, crevasse, Deus ex machina, Worst, Dirty, Yuki sou, Mahora, Jibun no Hana, Love addict, Nothing you lose among my favorite songs from them and in vk jrock in general.

1 Like

I listened to it on YouTube thanks a VPN. I’ll listen better when it will be available on spotify maybe in a few hours.

But so far the album was very pleasant to listen to !! They really put effort on instrumentals, we clearly feels they had more time and inspirations.
I listened recently last albums and self tilted was the last I enjoyed, Scums and Carpe Diem had good songs here and there but Nox Lux is a far better album in a whole object.

So far best new songs imo : Night light, Schroedinger’s knife :heart:, Last note (Yomi have a beautiful voice on it very good ballad !), Deadass, Regolith no bohyou

I can add Re:do, Cftm, and Sinners as good « singles ».
Still can’t appreciate ink (but iam not sure but they rearranged it I think).
And disappointed by Darkness Before Dawn, not bad but Last note is better as a ballad.

Well it’s nice to see them comeback in good « musical health » !

3 Likes

It’s available for streaming on Apple Music JP :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

finally … much hype

1. Night Light - nice intro, good for setting the mood of the album
  2. Re:Do - I really like this song so starting strong
  3. cry for the moon - I like it even better than Re:Do
  4. Last note - at this point I was convinced I was listening to a masterpiece album already
  5. RAD DREAM - is it just me or does it really start a lot louder than the songs before? Is it a mixing issue or a me issue? Other than damaging my eardrums in the beginning, the song was… ok? Kinda anima vibes? Which is far from being my favorite album but then turns into something much more… palatable / recent feeling
  6. 極上脳震煉獄・弎式 - this one has even earlier vibes, like Livid vibes but throughout the entire song. I love Livid and I love this.
  7. Deadass - this is just so interesting. My first impression was early Nightmare ballad meets Pierrot ?? So weird but quite good
  8. レゴリスの墓標 - anime Nightmare at its finest … I am shocked this isn’t an anime song
  9. ink - I didn’t hate it at first but it does seem like one of the weakest here which is great. bc its still enjoyable.
  10. ピラニア - it’s … definitely a weaker link for me but it’s ok
  11. シュレーディンガーナイフ - another case of “most people will enjoy this more than I do probably but it’s not bad by any means”
  12. Sinners - I love how this album starts strong and ends on a strong note as well.
  13. Day By Day - good ending song #1
  14. Darkness Before Dawn - great way of ending the album haha “you thought we wouldn’t? think again”

first impressions / review: In terms of how it compares to the singles … I know it’s not in them to replace an original song with a B-side but I would totally replace one of the weakest links with ruler lol. In fact, uhh I am deleting RAD DREAM from my folder so next time I can enjoy it properly honestly. If RAD DREAM didn’t exist, 9/10, very solid and thanks for coming back so strongly based Nightmare :smiley: But it does, so it gets a migraine/10 from me :frowning: (wish I was kidding)

No but honestly I am just so glad they’re coming back so strongly. the ra草ring 20s :pray:

4 Likes

Its good! I was surprised this work as a whole is much closer in vibe to Majestical Parade than I expected, some stuff really feels like 2009-2010 Nightmare except for the vocals.

Now I really want to know when we’ll listen to a proper recording of gianizm re aku to o however it’s called

2 Likes

I like these previews a lot more than I’d expected I would! I’m someone who also loved Yomi to death… like 10-15 years ago (holy shit) but now has trouble listening to him, mostly just select nightmare tracks I’m into now. This album sounds really good though, like some others have said it sounds like a throwback to some of their best compositions (leading up to 2010).

Out of nowhere I’m kinda excited…

1 Like

レゴリスの墓標 is what a perfect nightmare song should sound like.

I have a really hard time digesting yomi’s voice on a lot of songs here, but sound arrangement and compositions on all of this album are really good.

redo is shockingly boring compared to the rest of album-only songs.

1 Like

The more I listen to it the more I like it even though the scum-like synths in some songs put me off.

But I can’t help to think that Seesaw’s stuff felt more properly put together and interesting (Jakigan Meister also felt like it had a more clear vision as well). I’m starting to think that having all members together is somehow diminishing returns? Specially in how loud everything is mixed in Nightmare stuff compared to how more tastefully restrained is the stuff Sakito does on the side. I kinda felt more refreshed by those projects and the performance consistency was also much more stable when it came to vocals.

Wow that lead single, the PV above was SO GENERIC. Is that the best they could come up with after all those years? Depressing.

1 Like

Vocals aside, I’ve enjoyed my first few listens of the album. I will say that at least YOMI does sound better than before their hiatus, but he still sounds rough on some songs, while he’s okay on others. They really need to give him a key more suited for his vocals, but this is a problem persistent in a lot of jpop/jrock, so I digress.

I finally took the time to listen to the album for a while and I really like it.
Didn’t listen to them in so many years except for my preferred four songs and the PVs when they got posted here. By the latter I knew I wasn’t into ink.

The first song that sticked with me was Deadass but that might be for the dark feeling I got from it (that kinda song is more likely to hit a spot).
By now I decided on some of the songs for my mixed playlist and I kept Night Light, Re:Do, cry for the moon, Last note, Deadass, レゴリスの墓標, Day By Day and Darkness Before Dawn -NOX:LUX ver.- and definitely don’t feel like kicking a single one out of the list. I hesitated about some of the others but decided against them mostly because the playlist is long enough (and I only listen to it for few hours a day and with closing the player the order in which songs get picked changes so I try to keep the lists shorter because otherwise I always get some songs every day and some almost never).

2 Likes

this (and phalaris) are the only albums i care about from 2022 atm. brings me right back to 2006. consistent queens.
legends.
they are all of the moments.
academy award.

I listened to the new album (really focused), and are you guys really impressed by this?
Everything sounds so generic and average imo, sorry. Seems like they completely lost their spark.
Deadass was the only one I found a bit catchy. The other choruses just seemed rehashed and generic.

Feels like they are going quantity over quality with 14 tracks.

2 Likes

Same. They’ll always be one of my favorite bands but everything they’ve put out since their hiatus feels generic. I’ve pretty much accepted the band is just a money grab for them at this point.

1 Like

Yeah it sucks doesnt it.
I also really used to like them.

Do you guys remember this one? Feels pretty crazy its 17 years old.

1 Like

Idk, this is definitely a “different strokes” kind of thing because I’ve never been a huge fan of Raven loud speeeaker personally … on the other hand some of my Nightmare faves are Mind Ocean and Dizzy so do I have any say lol.