Non-VK acts covering Visual Kei bands

Recently an idol group called Little Glee Monster covered X Japan’s “Kurenai” and it’s surprisingly good

So it got me thinking if there are other instances of Non-VK acts covering Visual Kei bands.

Some other examples of idol groups covering visual kei bands I could find, as posted here, are エミルの愛した月夜に第III幻想曲を (Emille’s Moonlight Serenade) covering 3 songs by Secilia Luna

ディアブルボア(Diablevoix) covered “STARGAZER~owaranai ashita e~ (STARGAZER~終わらない明日へ~)” by Akihabara Shounendan Dennou ROMEO (秋葉原少年団☆電脳ロメオ)

& LyricHolic Kagekidan (リリックホリック歌劇団) has also covered the same song

But that’s just musicians reusing their compositions, as Zechs from Dennou ROMEO is also a composer for both Diablevoix & LyricHolic and Emille’s Moonlight Serenade guitarrist was apparently Secilia Luna’s ghostwriter[?]

Another obvious example are tribute albums. SID has recently dropped an album of voice actors covering the songs they composed for anime soundtracks

and there are also cases of other tribute albums featuring non-visual kei artists covering songs by bands like MUCC, D’ERLANGER, Plastic Tree,DEAD END,L’Arc~en~Ciel, LUNA SEA and the many hide tribute albums they dropped over the years.

Other than that the only other examples I could find was melodic death metal band Blood Stain Child covering LUNA SEA’s TRUE BLUE

Do y’all know of any other examples? Drop them down in the comments below. No karaoke versions, please.

2 Likes

Do Soko ni naru count as vk? haha Especially during Covid they covered a lot of stuff, including some vk bands (besides mainstream bands like LUNA SEA).

4 Likes

88kasyo Junrei covering BUCK-TICK:

5 Likes

Throwing some vtubers in the ring, since they cover a bunch of stuff. Won’t post more beyond this since you’re just googling popular vk/ vk anisong covers and seeing what it spits out. Below is about half-mil and up for view count.

星街すいせい (Hoshimachi Suisei) (Hololive) covering シド (SID) - 乱舞のメロディ(Ranbu no Melody):

空星きらめ (Sorahoshi Kirame) (Nijisanji) covering Janne Da Arc - ヴァンパイア (Vampire):

緑仙 (Ryushen) (Nijisanji) covering Acid Black Cherry - 黒猫 〜Adult Black Cat〜:

They had a whole Golden Bomber festival.

*I’m also assuming by acts this means more prominent artists/bands, so I don’t have to shill the Hard Off guy for the millionth time.

Ok, shilling Nagata-san. God of gods.

4 Likes

Kurenai is like on of those go-to covers I keep seeing pop-up. Toshi is seriously up there with his high vocals so it is always interesting to see how other vocalists handle it

Nemophila did a lot covers during covid years

2 Likes

They don’t need to be famous or anything. i just asked people not to post karaoke versions cuz those don’t really count. Vtubers would also be machine generated/AI stuff, ain’t it? I don’t know/care about those, TBH, but that Golden Bomber festival sure is something else, LOL

1 Like

Ah, ok just spotted the karaoke line and omitted the last blurb.

Vtubers wouldn’t be machine generated and/or AI stuff as many are effectively utaite who also livestream, and the instrumentals are also redone for the mixes. You might be thinking of Vocaloid with the vocal synthesis.

I don’t even follow Nijis, so that also caught me off-guard when I was looking through Ryushen’s channel :laughing: .

J-pop singer Aiko did a piano cover of L’Arc~en~Ciel’s “Pieces”:

1 Like

them covering mucc vs their western stans seemingly completely sleeping on VK/male jrock is giving me brain freeze when I’m trying to process this altogether tbh

There’s been a few metal bands covering X Japan over the years, but the most interesting is perhaps symphonic black metallers Anorexia Nervosa covering X Japan’s «I’ll Kill You». It sure took me by surprise when I first heard it. They’re one of the more brutal and aggressive symphonic black metal bands out there as well, even though they had toned down their brutality a lit by the time they released this.

1 Like

Classical guitarrist Ami Inoi (finalist at the Guitar Foundation of America International Competition, the most sought-after classical guitar competition in the world) has been covering some VK over the years in her channel and gigs

Yesterday she also covered 雨のオーケストラ by MUCC in her show

1 Like

Just listening to this Nagata guy for the first time…I’m blown away! Better than the original! lol