Obi, yes or no?

Many years ago I bought 2 whole LAREINE secondhand CDs without their obi and I’m still regretting it. One, luckly, I managed to find a copy for cheap with the obi, the other one I’m still looking.
CDs are so cool looking inside their sleek plastic sleeves with their lovely obi on display.

Of course I keep all other advertising shit that comes with the CD too (altought the presence or not of that is a little less of a deal breaker in the second hand market, even if I prefer when it’s there).

3 Likes

I don’t really understand why you would throw it away. I always put the obi inside the CD case. It’s that simple :thinking:

(in Japan) CDs really lose quite a bit of their worth if the obi is no longer included.

3 Likes

It’s part of the design!!!

2 Likes

Not necessarily a must have, but still a nice aesthetic attachment. Especially when it comes with a short 3-sentence insight on the album. Unique to Japanese bands as well as Japanese editions of Western albums, which I happen to own quite a lot. For the most of part I keep obis inside the booklet, so they won’t get lost.

2 Likes

I keep it because of AesTHetIc.

And I know that it is still something in the community cares about when buying pre-loved records, sometimes it can go to the price factor as well. Like, CD without an obi cos it is missing etc would have to be sold on lower price tag when someone decides to sell their collection.

2 Likes

Yes, totally. If I ever decide that I despise a band in the future and want to sell my collection, it’ll go for a lot more with the obi intact. They’re easy to store flat in the CD case. There’s really no reason to throw them away.

1 Like

Lol I didn’t know anyone kept them, i’ve always thrown them away and feel bad about it after hearing yall like them

1 Like

Aw, don’t feel bad! It’s up to everyone’s personal preference. However, it is no joke that CDs lacking their Obi can sell for less or that some people refuse to buy if the Obi is not intact (it’s more of a big deal in Japan but as evidenced in this thread, overseas fans care too) so if you plan on selling anything in your collection it’s best to keep them from now on.

4 Likes

I definitely keep the obi as I keep everything. I even put the jewel cases back into the foil that’s wrapped around.
However when buying stuff second hand I love when the obi comes with it but if there’s none I don’t mind either.

1 Like