Obi, yes or no?

The classic question I’m sure all J-music collectors have heard about: what do you think about Obi? Do you make sure to keep them, or do you throw them out? If a second-hand release doesn’t have an Obi, would you still buy it? As an additional question, do you keep the little ad flyers and/or M-cards that come inside CDs (promotions about tour dates, the Fanclub, new releases, etc.) too?

I for one do love Obi very much, but if a second-hand CD I’m buying doesn’t have one then it’s no deal-breaker for me. I like reading the little messages on the Obi, or seeing stuff like hidden illustrations/secret messages on the inside part of it, it’s just one of those little things that make collecting fun for me. I also never get rid of the ads or M-cards (despite the fact that I can’t use the cards lol)

5 Likes

You’re a heathen if you don’t keep the obi.

But in all seriousness, I keep them and and all my CDs are in plastic sleeves with the obi displayed. A lot of the art is carried over onto the obi and also artists use them to create unity throughout their discography.

5 Likes

I love Obis! I keep them and try to buy second-hand copies that have them. Something about the way the obi adds to a release’s aesthetic/overall appearance is a really neat concept, and I love seeing when bands incorporate the obis as a part of the album/single’s artwork/etc.

I also love keeping the ad flyers, m-cards, or any other little trinkets inside a release even if it’s no longer valid or useful, haha. I feel like it’s a historical part of the physical CD/DVDs release(s), lol.

5 Likes

Lol, I didn’t want my post to sound judgemental but people who throw Obis away scare me a little tbh. I prefer keeping it in the case than having it on the spine though, just as personal preference. I agree though, obi do have that special little artistic meaning to them. I remember seeing something about a band who had all of their Obis’ inside designs be a part of a bigger picture and if you collected all of them then you’d have a little mural you could hang on your wall like a poster.

1 Like

I always carefully put the OBI inside the case when I get new CDs. I prefer secondhand with OBI, but I’ve gotten to where I’m okay if there isn’t one, especially if it’s cheap enough… but I definitely try to look for with OBI first ^^ I just like feeling like the CD is complete with its OBI, I think!

6 Likes

Same here, it’s always such a treat! I agree with you on those ads being “historical”, they definitely do capture some little bit of a band’s history, whether it be their tour at that time or anything else. I remember the Obi for Plastic Tree’s Donna Donna has an ad on the back for an Ipod classic with a Plastic Tree logo on it and I was like, “Damn, what a throwback…”. The Ipod classic, now that’s ancient history lmao

5 Likes

I don’t care about them. I’ve always thrown mine out. They were just useless to me (ex. promos for events that I will never attend because it is only held in Japan)

1 Like

I love them in general, my western albums don’t come with too many extras, but the japanese ones are special for giving me a lot of stuff I don’t expect. That’s why I always keep them with the obi and extras in plastic bags.

3 Likes

All my CD’s I ever bought from Japan are still with obi’s! It doesn’t feel like a whole if there’s no obi.

MEJIBRAY used to have obi’s with messages inside it of every CD release which made it even more special to keep them ^^

2 Likes

The only reason I buy CDs is the obi

7 Likes

Might as well throw away the booklet. :triumph:

5 Likes

I just throw away the CD and keep the obi. Much easier.

5 Likes

I don’t intentionally throw out anything, but I’m also not obsessive about keeping things. If I manage to not lose it, I’ll keep the obi. Anything that comes in the booklet (ads and such) I keep, mainly because I flip through the booklet once and put the whole thing in the shelf with the rest of my CDs.

2 Likes

I have bunch of OBIs kept in jewelcases with booklets but i also threw away just as many. Don’t really care about them

1 Like

Always keep them. It’s part of the package, part of the release, and plus, JP CDs are expensive, so I’m sure as heck not throwing part of it away.

What I don’t like is when bands put important information like track list etc on the obi and don’t include it anywhere else. Second-hand physical releases don’t always come with an obi, so you’re SOL if that happens.

3 Likes

I’d like v much to say idc about the obi but tbh I feel a little uncomfortable when I think about whether or not I’d buy a second hand cd without one. I’ve never thrown them away, but tbf when I buy vk cds, they’re mainly for collection purposes and I rarely even touch them after an initial look-through.

1 Like

I’ve gotten worse. Early on, I didn’t really care if something had an obi or not - but I would save it if the release came with one. Now, however, I even hesitate to buy stuff if it doesn’t have the hype sticker. It’s a yes.

1 Like

Came in to this thread thinking we were discussing Obie Trice.

Although I keep them they’re just kind of ‘there’ but at least the labels go to the effort of having it fit the theme of the cover art.

1 Like

always

2 Likes

I love obi so so so much. if a second handed cd doesn’t still have it then it isn’t a deal breaker, but I’d be willing to pay more for a cd with one, even if the condition quality is worse.

2 Likes