Plastic Tree

Hmm… Judging by that, I’m thinking you’d prefer their older stuff over their newer stuff. Try going back through their discography by listening to Hide and Seek and Strange Fruits, I have a hunch you’ll like them. If you want to go slightly forward from Puppet Show, then their next album Parade is such a solid album you have to check out.

Again, if you need help finding anything, please PM me about it.

3 Likes

I’ve begun translating one of the Plastic Tree movies into English! (Angura Kaijin episode) Keep your eyes peeled for when I’m ready to release it :sunglasses:

8 Likes

i’m so shocked people don’t like it! i only recently gave it a full listen through and very quickly it’s become one of my favourites, i really love mime, float and hakusei and i love how the album has an ending and an intro, it really makes the listening experience more special. i think they are one of the only bands where i like their later work as much as the rest of their work, bands usually get worse over time but plastic tree certainly are not the case!

5 Likes

Hi sorry to necro a topic over such a minute detail, but could you please elaborate on this for me? I’ve only just started listening to Plastic Tree so I don’t really know much about their history. Ammonite is the third album of theirs I’ve listened to, and I wasn’t able to find much context about it from a few Google searches.

2 Likes

Around the time the album was in production, Ryutaro was grieving the unexpected passing of his father. He dedicated the song, Bambi, in his memory, as it was the kind of song his dad would enjoy. A few months later, Ryutaro contracted Guillain-barré syndrome, which is a debilitating, rapid-onset auto-immune disease that leads to whole-body paralysis. He was stuck in the hospital for months, which halted and influenced the later production of the album. The lyrics of Sabishinbou changed to reflect the feeling of being isolated in a foreign place, and one of the instrumental tracks in the album is just the sound of a heart rate monitor slowly beeping.

Ryutaro said in an interview that this was the hardest time of his life, in a way that implied like… You know… It was mentally traumatic and impacted his will to live for a while. I could feel that in this album, fully. Especially in Sabishinbou.

6 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for the info - that sounds like an awful time. I’m almost surprised the album wasn’t even more dour with circumstances like that.

1 Like

Woah, I knew about his dad, but had no idea about the lyrics or the instrumental. That adds so much more context to this, I’m going to have to listen to it again with that in mind.

1 Like
3 Likes

Hears mime on YouTube

Downloads everything

Goes through every song skipping after 5 seconds

Comes to the album where mime is and deletes everything except 6 songs

10/10 would skip again

This band singlehandedly helped me draw a line on classifying good gook music from bad

Album covers cool though I like the one with the owl face I think it’s funny and cute

I want to touch ryutaros veiny hands with his head on my lap while playing with his hair under a tree on a cloudy spring afternoon

Tbh I don’t think you can figure out how a band sounds by skipping after 5 seconds. Spotify ruined you.

6 Likes

I typically have a one-minute rule to determine whether I like a song or not. Also thanks @HeroOfLove for basically reminding me of the fact that I need to buff up my mp3 collection on my phone.

No kidding.

1 Like

Yeah, especially considering genres like shoegaze and alt-rock (genres that Pura falls under) typically rely on slow, gradual changes throughout 5-9 minute long songs. 5 seconds is beyond unfair to every genre, even pop music which is all about instant gratification and attention hooking.

4 Likes

For me it sounds pretty weird to set up “rules” for your own taste

2 Likes

I agree.

I made a server for Plastic Tree fans! All you need is to follow my invite link, fellow Kurage! Smack!

One benefit to the server is that we get tweet updates from the band (and member’s) accounts directly into the news channel, which is helpful when you follow a lot of people on Twitter

2 Likes

yay a plastic tree thread!! i am such a huge fan of them and have been since around 2007. their older albums are absolute masterpieces and imo im surprised they have so many ppl that listen to like a few staple songs and dont dig into their discog, bc its really good! aside from puppet show, i also love parade. its maybe my favorite? i also really like traumerei bc you cant go wrong with a little shoegaze. some of their more recent stuff i havent been feeling as much but maybe i just am stuck on their older stuff.

i will say though, their music is the kind that clicks after a few listens so…

6 Likes

Would love this link again if possible, they are my faves!!!

Right when I was about to make a thread on them I see this lol, i’m glad

just wanna say their noisey style is so so good and their discography is insanely consistent, I hope we get a new album from them soon!

1 Like

I’m so glad this popped up when it did! Theis discography is pretty inconsistent, I think that’s what’s fun about them?

1 Like