Post your "UNPOPULAR" Japanese music opinions! / aka "HOT TAKES" :P

Imo, The fact that there’s alot of overlaps between idol industry and vk industry has brainwash alot of bandomen to not announce their relationship status (or even chose to NOT have a relationship) which is fair, because there’s alot of risk of doing so, i mean, for example: if i was a bandmen and had a female friends from another band or a GF (it doesn’t have to be mutally exclusive) i wouldn’t want either of them to get doxx by a crazy overly parasocial gya, or even by a malegya who thinks he had a better chance than i am.

Also. if i was offered alot of money in exchange for pretending to be single, or even being actually single (and also not interacted publicly with the opposite gender) i would still take it with a heartbeat because not every parasocial fan is that bad, and they had a disposable income, and i had to eat something otherwise i would die of starvation.

thats why that, imo bandomen who did the opposite doesn’t really cared about their financial status anymore. they just want to make music or even close to retirement.
granted, some people still think that vk gya is a crazy wh@re so they chose to abandon the scene instead see: myv.

Unrelated, but if i was a vtuber and had alot of parasocial fans i would give them what they want (word: milk them unconsciously) instead of telling them to improve themselves or smth. i will probably happier that way but i would be making less bank that way, plus nothing could possibly go wrong if i were playing by the books anyway.

Sorry for this incel sounding rant that sound straight out of 4chan. but at the bright side you got a screenshotable material incase that you might want to cancel me someday.

2 Likes

Hack in your computer, figure out your IP address and where you live, break into your home, install cameras…

And if you think i am making things up
Here you go with some stories if crazy fans from kpop groups
(Kpop groups usually feed into parasocial relations)

1 Like

I rarely ever seen corporate vtubers getting stalked or having their accounts being hacked (indies maybe) probably those because corporate vtubers rarely go to events in person (good call. since their actual identity is out there all over the internet if you look hard enough) and got their managers to secured their account. it’s high-risk high-reward when it comes to “parasocial exploitation” thing.

To not steer away from vk. has there been a bandmen who got stalked? i mean parasocial fans are a thing in vk, look at their twitter comment for example. (with nancy brown being the most annoying example) but there has to been worse examples out there idk, make a thread about it maybe?

Setsuna from THE EGOIST is most famous for his double suicide turned murder/suicide, but when I was doing research into it, I was shocked at just how unstable Uran was. I’ll copy paste what I wrote here again.

Whenever I write one of these lists, one person ends up doing something that eclipses everything else I discuss. Setsuna, guitarist of THE EGOIST, takes the “honors” for this position this time, although it’s not something to be proud of. 2017 was not a kind year to THE EGOIST, as they paused activities earlier in the year when they lost contact with their vocalist, but things came to a breaking point by the end of the year in what will remain a black mark on visual kei for a long time to come. The timeline gets hazy at points but what we do know for certain is that Setsuna, also known as Keisuke Kawasaki (thanks NHK!), began an intimate relationship with a woman named Uran Hirayama while engaged. Uran didn’t know he was engaged when she met him with the wedding planned to the degree where the venue had already been picked. The marriage was held sometime during his relationship with Uran as well.

It is not confirmed if she was a mitsu of his, but what we do know is that they had a very tumultuous relationship, all documented on Hirayama’s twitter. Uran used the account as a regular personal account initially, but at some point the account became flooded with pictures and screenshots of the newly minted couple. Many LINE screenshots show both happy times as well as arguments, including one where Uran demanded to know if Setsuna had slept with a tsunagari/mitsu of his named Ayumi. He initially denies it, but admits to eventually sleeping with her once and apologizes, swearing Uran is the only one he really cares for. He ends up saying something similar on his public Twitter: “I’ve had relationships with various women, but aside from Uran I was just messing around. I’m very sorry. I’m considering marrying [her] in the future”. No mention of his wife. Other pictures included Disney date pictures, many pictures of them in the snow as a couple, and of course the now-infamous video of him eating out Uran’s ass (note to future readers: he chows down). Considering this is all in public view, it didn’t take long for his “wife” to come across some of it; she apparently went ballistic when she found purikura of her and Setsuna kissing in his wallet.

Things get demented as the year winds down to a close. The messages on Uran’s Twitter become more alarming; her profile stated ‘I wish to be reborn and marry Keisuke in my next life’, she posted screenshots of one of Setsuna’s tweets that basically said he “will be one” with Uran (which he quickly deleted from his page), tweets about gifts she bought with the money she got from sex, and more. At some point, Setsuna informs Uran that he was married and in retaliation, she dumps all of this information on her Twitter. She also had at least one suicide attempt around December 3rd, likely in response to all of these happenings. Despite his marriage, he still publicly pines for Uran after all of this. The following is my guess of what happens next: Uran tells Setsuna about her suicide attempt(s) and he tries to talk her out of it, but ends up agreeing to commit double suicide with her a week later on December 9th. We know this because Uran sent the explicit details of the plan to one of her close friends around 3pm that day, which was later posted to her Twitter page. The person who posted the notice in no uncertain words claims it was intended to be a double suicide and firmly believes that was their original intention. This same friend also contacted the police with all of the information she had at her disposal, but by the time the police showed up to Uran’s apartment at 9pm the deed was done. She was found on her futon, her room was locked, there were no signs anyone had been through her belongings, and there was a handwritten suicide note next to unused charcoal briquettes. I can only guess the plan was to lock themselves in a room and suffocate to death, but Setsuna had a last-minute change of heart, ended up choking her to death, locked the door, and left.

It took the detective work of another of Uran’s friends to connect Setsuna to this mess and to send the police to his door. He admitted to the killing and was promptly arrested. When asked his occupation, he claimed he was a “part-timer” and did not mention THE EGOIST, his band mates, or his label. Thus, the band was able to avoid most of the wrath of the Eye of Sauron, but they still chose to disband anyway to distance themselves from the stigma as much as possible. I don’t blame them. The story stops here for now, but there are a lot more questions to be asked than can be answered. As for the most important one, as one of Uran’s friends put it, “The only way to know the circumstances that led to Uran being the only one who died is to ask [Setsuna] himself”. Maybe this information will come out in a court trial soon.

UPDATE: THE EGOIST disbanded earlier in 2017 due to the departure of their vocalist.
UPDATE 2: His trial started one year after the incident. Setsuna stated that Uran asked him to kill her, so he “helped her”. Since the tribunal couldn’t verify if that is true or not they accepted that Setsuna killed her on request and therefore reduced his sentence from 13 years to 3.5 years in prison.

Still wanna be famous?

4 Likes

this is the problem. he should’ve chose one over the other or none.
also messing around with a mitsu/tsunagari on top of it.

To answer your question, no. Not for now, because i have much a more important thing to worry about such as begging my parents for physiotherapy that i should’ve been getting a decade ago. srsly dude, being forced by god to live as neet wasn’t fun at all but if given a chance then Yes. because i had something to prove.

sorry for being a depress, chuuni little guy. i should take a break from this place incase that i would get too comfortable and make you guys uncomfortable.

he was already out there was it? did he tried to bounced back? or dissappear entirely.

1 Like

He as in Setsuna? Probably outta jail by this point and keeping a low profile. I doubt he’ll come back in a new band.

:astonished: oh my… some of those stories are especially just… the hell??? The hell is wrong with people?!?

1 Like

:astonished: :face_with_spiral_eyes: … f*n damn. That’s… that’s something else.

what’s that?

sorry, what is this, exactly?

Corporate VTubers are the actors/actresses employed by companies such as Hololive and Nijisanji. They get paid to play these characters that are assigned to them, auditions work like a casting call for anime basically.
Mitsu, not too sure, but I thought it was the fans that pay bandmen to have sex with them and go out for dinner and all that. Basically these girls play “rent a boyfriend” with bandmen

4 Likes

Was gonna come over to explain Corporate VTubers but you got it. Isn’t it better to start off indie before going to corporate too? I thought that was a how it was, I’m not sure if that’s changed though.

1 Like

I give everything a chance but when it comes to VTubers, I’m not sure if I’m ever going to like it or find one I enjoy…but that can always change in the future who knows.

3 Likes

I felt the same way, and I’m not even into the anime art style, but I checked a VT streamer that twitch kept recommending me, and I ended up laughing my ass off for an hour. I followed her, but to be fair, it had nothing to do with her being a VTuber, she could just stream without a cam, it’s just that she is a friggin idiot in a funny way. So I guess I’m still not into VTubers, just into streamers I find funny, and there’s an overlap…

2 Likes

Yeah this is one of the only ways I could probably see myself getting into one, just being entertained by the streamer if they are funny/interesting :sob: I’m picky with streamers on top of that but there are times where I come across one that clicks for a while !

2 Likes

Aion is better than X Japan

1 Like

On the topic of VTubers though, I wish they wouldn’t make all of them sing, because some of them just… can’t sing.

1 Like

Sekima-II is better than X-Japan (Instrumentally)

…or they did can sing, but they didn’t make their own music. or even write their own lyrics. they hired a producer that most of the time, didn’t do their voice justice. (adding to the fact that some of these producer are japanese… that write songs in english)
Kind of like those things that some people called “industry plant”

1 Like
4 Likes

Thinking mostly about Calliope here, I don’t mind her rapping but her singing isn’t great. I feel like V-Tubers are just an evolution of utaites sometimes. Nothing wrong w it but some have stronger voices than others.

1 Like

Not sure if i going to write it here or random thoughts thread, but the Disbandment of DIMLIM means that we’ll never got a Spiritbox-kei band like them anymore.
(maybe it’s just the riffing style+background effects)

1 Like

I’m back like your monthly check-in with your visual-kei therapist that says mean things and makes you think. I’ve also been thinking about this for a while, and it’s a sensitive topic so I need to choose the right words, but it’s important that I use my soapbox for saying things with good intentions. Also, I’m calling out a mentality, not any person in particular. You may have read this somewhere else but it’s important enough to repeat.

Trading gotta go.

Find an equivalent to JRO that isn’t visual-kei based, then come back here because it doesn’t exist. The fans of that scene of the 00’s and the 10’s had a very different culture than the visual kei scene at that time. I can only speak as a secondary source who hovered on the outskirts because that scene was so impenetrable. You had to know someone who could introduce you to the bands others would listen to and who could feed you files for free before you could get accepted into the fold, and even then there were layers. Private servers where certain things were shared, bluffing like you had more than you did so you could get clout and inner connections, listening to things you don’t even like so that you appear informed about everything, it was easily ten times more work to get into that scene than this one. Without a connection, your introduction to the scene began and ended at bands who did anime themes. This may not be true now, but it was true then, and it matters. It’s why I think there was a mass migration from VK to K-Pop, and why for a long time there was a mental barrier between VK and the rest of Japanese music. That barrier came from somewhere, and now I’ve just given an explanation of what I see.

The layers and servers relied on lots of trading from what I could infer, but they could never conquer the infamous Catch-22 of “in order to acquire some rare release A you need an equally rare or rarer release B. But if B is rarer than A, than whomever has B will likely want C, which is rarer than A”. The chain continues for quite some time as the odds of these stars aligning are very slim. These releases are by definition rare, and therefore hard to acquire! But the bar for where “rare” was for this scene was set so low Satan was playing limbo with it in hell. To me, it felt like everyone wanted something for nothing; getting into new non-visual Japanese bands was so hard because they weren’t on Bandcamp, YouTube wasn’t as mature, there was no Spotify, and few were promoting. That scene imploded on itself. There was no new blood coming in, the old guard aged out, and the people that remain are reading this because there’s nowhere else to go.

This is in stark contrast to visual-kei, and I don’t want that to happen to us. We did a damn good job of promoting, preserving and pushing the music wherever and whenever we could for the last 25~30 years? That was/is our culture. Vk.gy is a mammoth database and that’s forever awesome that fans were motivated enough to do that. Our music cameos in the weirdest YouTube react videos. It’s not the cultural export that K-Pop is, but I don’t think I want it that way. But this whole thing only worked (and continues to work) because we were so willing to freely share and talk about it, despite how alienating and difficult it could be in person, and that flies in the face of trading. If the future of the scene feels grim, then raising the bar to entry for new people to discover these bands past and present is the opposite of what we want to do.

Remember that behind every person who hoards their files was someone willing to promote them freely. I firmly believe it’s your money and that you are free to share or not, but in my 20+ years in the scene I have never seen a visual-kei band that wasn’t promoted do well. Never. I can think of an easy 3-5 songs that I know I will never hear because no one is trading or selling it. That hurts everyone. The “perceived value” of how rare something is eventually falls off. Eventually rarez become obscure, and then the amount of people that would care about the band depletes rapidly. So if you really want to flex, people have to know (and care) about the band and then you have to “cash in” before the release loses its luster. I’ve learned goodwill is the kind of currency you earn in small portions and burn all at once, and I’ve rarely met a trader with a surplus of goodwill. Also, if you buy all your rarez secondhand then the scalper gets all your money, so the band was not supported in that transaction, so the amount of money spent on acquiring rarez means nothing to me most of the time.

I think the impact of our consumption is a double-edged sword but more good than bad comes of it. This community is undeniable proof of that. So yeah, trading gotta go, and I’m talking from the perspective of someone who doesn’t consume as much as I used to. I’ve always seen trading as annoying, but now it’s in direct opposition to what I see as best for the community, so I gotta say something.

6 Likes