Rap & Hip-Hop

Wanted to start a general rap/hip-hop thread to talk about new releases.

Tyler the Creator released his new album “Call me if you get lost” last night. His last album “Igor” was one of my favorite releases in 2019 so I was pretty excited for this one It’s a banger:

2 Likes

Man, I haven’t listened to Tyler, the Creator’s new stuff. I fell off after Wolf because I’m more into horrorcore and underground rap and he’s actively moving away from that. Same with Earl Sweatshirt, who is moving more into spoken poetry and is trying to subvert expectations at every turn (what even was EAST bro). Gimme a song to check out and I’ll see if I’m interested, but OKRA did nothing for me and that was supposed to be a return to form. We will see.

New Tyler album doesn’t do much for me. Note that whatever music is in the first video, it’s not Call Me If You Get Lost. (OP fixed it) Find that here.

Check out this slab of Industrial Noise Hip Hop. More my kind of jam:

Dälek - Eyes To Form Shadows

R.I.P. MF Doom, although the list of hip-hop I like is quite small MF Doom is an artist I always have time for

Shout out to Jpegmafia as well, although this isn’t his best track I love the fact he sampled a PS1 game to make this

1 Like

The only rap/hip hop artist that matters.

Been blasting a few classics on repeat lately.

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
GZA - Liquid Swords
Ol’ Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version
Method Man - Tical
Killarmy - Dirty Weaponry
Killah Priest - Heavy Mental

All classics, albeit some bigger than others. But what Wu-Tang and affiliates had in the 90 and early 00’s very something incredibly special. They just could not stop releasing fantastic albums, and it was like close to everything these guys touched became gold.

1 Like

Can someone make me a playlist or mix of 90s east coast hip hop, not sure what’d be easier. A list of songs and albums even would be better than nothing. :pray:t2:

I gotchu

1 Like

Azs :pray:t2: I’ve gone back to listening to the DLIP label and all of their artists worship the 90s east coast so wu, Nas, Mobb etc and these are huge discos so I have no idea where to start.

I’m an on-again/off-again type of hip-hop listener, but I found that these were pretty cool:

• The Beatnuts - Street Level [sometimes this album is listed as just self-titled]
  • Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
  • Nas - Illmatic
  • Black Moon - Enta da Stage
  • any of the first two Lords of the Underground albums
  • any of the first three Redman albums
1 Like

Gotta throw Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx in there too!

1 Like

anyone remember a j hip hop group called Soul’d Out? Two out of 3 members were American/Canadian. I wonder what theyre up too or if any of us remembers them

So @xxxx how are you digesting what I sent you?

Aye, how do you feel about Cordae and J.I.D. and other jazz-rap artists?

1 Like

self scientific.

Can anyone recommend me something that’s similar to the more metallic side of City Morgue? Toxic Boogaloo is easily my favorite, and a good reference point I’d say.

Simple metallic riffs on top of modern trap with hard hitting 808s and yelling/screaming.

Been checking out all types of spotify lists and whatever, but I’ve nothing that hits the spot. I love Nascar Aloe, Ho99o9 and the likes too, but I want more that’s City Morgue-esque.